Subject: Re: ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 35...that's us! (User interfaces)

From: Alain LaBonté <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 09:16:04 -0400

A 12:20 98-06-08 +0000, Richard Hodgkinson a écrit :
> Dear ex-WG 5 member, welcome to SC 35.
> At the JTC 1 plenary last week in Sendai, Japan, resolutions were passed
making
> JTC 1/WG 5 into JTC 1/SC 35 - User Interfaces (retaining our current scope).
> Consequently the four active sub groups will now become new working
groups and
> I propose the following: WG 1- Keyboards, WG 2 - User interfaces, WG 3 -
> Symbols and WG 4 - Gestures. The existing rapporteurs will now become chair
> persons.

[Alain] :
You mean "convenors" (;  They will need secretariats as well. Countries
which already hold the rapporteurships are natural candidates for these
secretariats, imho. This should improve the visibility of this domain,
which is expected to grow considerably in the next years. We also have a
potential for a 5th WG, the one on voice messaging, which is dormant for now.

[Richard] :
> Consequently, our next meeting (San Antonio, Texas, November 1998) will
be the
> first combined plenary and working group meeting of JTC 1/SC 35 - User
> Interfaces.
> I will shortly be sending out the package of new documents, including the
> (unconfirmed) Reykjavik meeting report and my report form the JTC 1 Plenary,
> which will contain more information.
> 
>  A  few words of caution however, before we celebrate this milestone.....
> Our status as SC 35 is TOTALLY DEPENDANT upon a national body offering the
> services of a secretariat for SC 35...UNLESS a national body makes this
offer
> SC 35 will be disbanded at the next JTC 1 Plenary (January 1999) and the
> projects distributed within JTC 1 existing SCs and WGs. It is unlikely
that the
> United Kingdom (BSI) will make such an offer, so I'd encourage you to
discuss
> the possibilities with you own national body.

[Alain] :
Let's wait for an official answer by UK. Have a try, Richard, we would
support you.
If UK declined definitely it is very likely that either France or Canada
would make an offer.

[Richard] :
> See you in San Antonio.....Richard
> 
> Richard Hodgkinson
> Chair, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 35 - User Interfaces
> 
> Cross Product Support, Information Development,
> MP 095, IBM Hursley Park, United Kingdom
> 'Phone/internal: 7-245812,  'Phone/external: (+44) 01962 815812, Fax: (+44)
> 01962 842327
> Lotus Notes: HODGKIN@IBMGB,  Internet: [email-masked]

[Alain] :
I also believe that it will now be time to change the nomenclature of the
email reflector and DKUUG also offered to host web pages for us in the
past, I remind it to SC35 members.

Alain LaBonté
Québec

cc "SC18WG9" email reflector