Subject: opening of the MHEG conference group

From: Messagerie Colaitis <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Feb 92 16:35:33+0000

Dear MHEG members,

I am very pleased to be able to announce the MHEG electronic conference
facility provided for us by the Danish Unix Users Group. I would like to
take this opportunity to thank the DKUUG for allowing us to use their
server.

The JTC1 has recently recommended that committees and working groups
consider using electronic facilities, and it is as part of our
implementation of this recommendation, that I am inviting you to
participate in this conference which is for informal discussion of the
work of the MHEG group. I hope that you will all take full advantage of
this conference to propose, discuss, question, and explain your
contributions to the future MHEG and AVIS standards. Please note that
this is not a replacement for the formal standards process. As long as
there are accredited national body experts who do not have e-mail
facilities, we will continue to maintain a full paper record, and it is
this paper record which is the basis for the decisions taken at our
meetings.

If you wish to "speak" in the conference, send an e-mail to

                      [email-masked]

If you are replying to a previous speaker, please use the same subject
as that speaker. If you are beginning a new subject, please choose a
subject line which clearly identifies the subject you are addressing. If
you wish to speak on two separate subjects, please send two messages. If
you wish to send a test message please use the subject line "Test
Message".

You will notice that all the postings that you receive are numbered
(SC29WG12.n) where n is the sequence number of the posting.  This is
provided automatically by the server.  You do not have to number your
postings.  However you may wish to refer to a previous message "n".
Please note that it is not necessary to repeat large parts of previous
postings using the ">" notation favoured in the Internet newsgroups if
you refer to the "n" of the previous message.

If you change your e-mail address, or if you have any difficulty
communicating with the dkuug server, could you please contact Roger Price
[email-masked], fax +33 93 24 45 45.

I hope that this electronic conference will also help to further our
close relationship with SC18. Again I would like to thank the DKUUG for
their generous support for the work of MHEG, and I shall begin by asking
those members who have promised contributions on specific subjects for
the Haifa meeting, to present their contribution in this conference.

Francoise Colaitis, Convenor of JTC1/SC29/WG12 MHEG