Subject: PHIGS Reaffirmation and Revision

From: [email-masked] (Steve Carson)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 1994 14:17:07 -0500

ISO CS has asked SC24 for a decision regarding the reaffirmation or
revision of PHIGS, Parts 1-3. Since the written record of the Bordeaux
meeting is ambiguous regarding the exact steps to be taken for
reaffirmation and/or eventual revision of PHIGS, I have consulted with the
PHIGS RG and determined that the following steps should be taken:

1) SC24 will re-affirm PHIGS Part 1-3 now. This gives us breathing space
get the revision work completed.

2) SC24 will start work on revised PHIGS text by mid-1995, incorporating all
amendments to date, and will replace the previous PHIGS versions with it when
ready. Dave Duce and Bod Hopgood have agreed to act as editors for this
revision and have a funding committment from their organization for the
period April 1995 to the end of March 1996 to support the work. In the
opinion of the PHIGS Rapporteur, the work can be completed within this time
frame.

If any NB objects to any portion of the above decision or wishes to have
further discussion by e-mail, please post your comments to this SC24 e-mail
reflector by 1200 UTC on Friday 7 October 1994. ISO CS has asked for our
decision by 15 October 1994.

Steve Carson
Acting Chair, SC24

For your information, here is the recommendation of the acting PHIGS
Rapporteur (Dick Puk) on this matter:

-------
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 94 15:15:56 PDT
From: [email-masked] (Dick Puk)
To: [email-masked]

>From puk Fri Sep 23 10:01:47 1994
From: puk (Dick Puk)
Subject: PHIGS Reconfirmation
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 10:03:04 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: puk (Dick Puk)
Content-Length: 1352
Status: RO

As Acting PHIGS Rapporteur, it seems to me that based on the actions and
positions taken during the previous PHIGS RG meetings, the most appropriate
action concerning PHIGS Reconfirmation is to actually reconfirm PHIGS at this
time and then republish PHIGS as required when sufficient amendments have been
approved.  Currently, all amendments being processed either have had DAM text
prepared and are being voted within JTC1 (Direct Interpretation and Enhanced
Input) or the text is being prepared for voting prior to the Canada SC24
meeting (Enhanced Control and Registered Items).  If this schedule holds,
Final Text for all amendments will result from the Canada meeting.

The UK has indicated that they are willing to edit the republication of PHIGS
and circulated a document describing there proposed approach.  With the
exception of consolidation of functions (direction from PHIGS RG was 3-2
against consolidation--not a clear position), this approach was approved in
Bordeaux.  The UK indicated that they would have to discover whether removal
of the function consolidation would still allow them to get funding.  Based
on E-Mail which I just received, they have partial funding approval.

I, therefore, recommend that PHIGS Parts 1-3 be reconfirmed at this time and
that republication proceed when the amendments are approved.

  -- Dick Puk

-------

---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-310-675-2093
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-310-675-2159
13254 Jefferson Avenue       e-mail:  [email-masked]
Hawthorne, CA 90250 USA
---------------------------------------------------------