Subject: SC24 Resolutions, Text Only Version

From: [email-masked] (Steve Carson)
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 1994 17:18:42 -0800

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 N1169

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 Resolutions
Final

All resolutions passed by unanimous vote of the eleven nations voting and
present

I.  PROGRAMME OF WORK

1.  Project Status
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24  approves the programme of work and project editors as
listed in
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 N1198 .

2.  Documents for Study and Comment
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 requests National Bodies to study and comment on the
following documents:

Doc. No.        Title   Deadline (yy-mm)
SC24 N1183      GKS-94 Binding to Fortran 90 WD         94-09
        GKS-94 Part 3 -- Audit Trail            95-04
        GKS-94 Part 4 -- Picture Part Archive   95-04
3.  Documents for CD/PDAM Registration
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 approves the following documents for CD/PDAM registration:

Doc. No.        Title
SC24 N1190      PREMO Part 1
SC24 N1191      PREMO Part 2
SC24 N1205      Amendment 2 to PHIGS Part 2--Enhanced Control
SC24 N1206      Amendment 2 to PHIGS Part 3--Enhanced Control
SC24 N1209      Amendment 4 to PHIGS Part 2--Registration Items
SC24 N1210      Amendment 4 to PHIGS Part 3--Registration Items
SC24 N1211      CGM Am. 3: Use of CGM in MHS/MOTIS
SC24 N1213      GKS Part 2: NDC metafile

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24  approves the following documents for CD registration,
subject to the following conditions:

Doc. No.        Title   Conditions
SC24 N1184      PHIGS Am2 Binding to C  Text revised to match the
functional specification
        GKS-94 Binding to Fortran 90    Text revised according to
National-Body comment

4.  Documents for Publication
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 agrees to forward the following documents to ITTF for
final publication as International Standards, subject to the following
conditions:

Doc No./Title   Conditions
DIS 7942-1: 1994/ GKS-94 Functional Specification       Text to be revisied
according to the disposition of comments contained in SC24 N1225
DIS 8651-4 / GKS-94 Binding to C        Text to be revised according to the
disposition of comments contained in SC24 N1229
DIS 9638-3 / CGI Binding to Ada Text to be revised according to the
disposition of comments contained in SC24 N1230
DIS 9973/ ISO Procedures
for Registration of Graphical Items     Text to be revised according to the
disposition of comments contained in SC24 N1217

5.  Progression to DAM
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 agrees to forward the following documents to ISO Central
Secretariat for DAM letter ballot:

Doc. No.        Title
SC24 N1201      Amendment 2 to PHIGS Part 1--Direct Interpretation
(formerly Non-retained Data)
SC24 N1202      Amendment 1 to PHIGS Part 4--Direct Interpretation
(formerly Non-retained Data)
SC24 N1203      Amendment 4 to PHIGS Part 1--Enhanced Input

6.  Delegation of Authority

a.  To WG4
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 delegates authority to WG4 to forward the final text of
12088-4, IPI Binding to C, to JTC1 for publication as an International
Standard.  The text should be revised according to the disposition of
comments contained in SC24/WG4 N231 and circulated to WG4 for a 4 week
review period.

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 delegates authority to WG4 to register the GKS-94 Binding
to Fortran 90 as
CD 8651-5, when revised according to National-Body comments.

b. To WG6 Convener
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 delegates authority to the WG6 Convener to approve the
following documents for DAM.  Upon successful incorporation of the results
of processing the PDAM comments, the SC24 Secretariat will forward the
following documents to ISO Central Secretariat for DAM letter ballot:

Doc. No.        Title
SC24 N1204      Amendment 3 to PHIGS Part 1--Enhanced Control
SC24 N1207      Amendment 2 to PHIGS Part 4--Enhanced Control
SC24 N1208      Amendment 6 to PHIGS Part 1--Registration Items
SC24 N1205      Amendment 2 to PHIGS Part 2--Enhanced Control
SC24 N1206      Amendment 2 to PHIGS Part 3--Enhanced Control
SC24 N1209      Amendment 4 to PHIGS Part 2--Registration Items
SC24 N1210      Amendment 4 to PHIGS Part 3--Registration Items

c. To WG7
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 delegates authority to WG7 to make decisions regarding
progression of the following work. The delegated decisions are to be made
during the WG7 meeting to be held in
October 1994:

Doc. No.        Title   Action
ISO/IEC 12087-4         IPI-PIKS DTC    registration as a CD
ISO/IEC 12089 -1        IPI-IIF ASN.1 Encoding  forward the final text to
ITTF for publication as an IS
ISO/IEC 12089-2         IPI-IIF Binary Encoding registration as a CD
ISO/IEC DAM 12087-3     IPI-IIF Am. 1   forward the final text  to ITTF for
publication as an IS

7.  Abandonment of Projects
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 agrees to delete the following projects from its
programme of work at its next plenary meeting unless an editor volunteers:

Project No.     Title
1.24.02.10      GKS-94 Binding to Ada

8.  Withdrawal of Technical Report
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 asks the ISO Central Secretariat to withdraw the document
TR 9973 on publication of the ISO/IEC 9973 standard.

9.  Processing Comments on Registration Proposals
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 requests the SC24 secretariat to forward the Summary of
Voting and Comments on future Registration Proposal Letter Ballots to
Sponsoring Authorities of the proposals.  The Sponsoring Authority shall
assign an expert within its member body to submit draft responses to the
Registration Rapporteur Group on all comments prior to the next
SC24/WG4/Registration Rapporteur Group meeting.

10.  Progression of Registration Items
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 resolves that the graphical items contained in SC24 N1084
(excluding proposal #196), as modified by Disposition of Comments contained
in SC24 N1216, be forwarded by the SC24 secretariat to the Registration
Authority for inclusion in the ISO Register of Graphical Items.  These
registered items include Registration Proposals #199 - 217.

11.  Withdrawal of Registration Items
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 resolves that the proposals contained in SC24 N967 be
withdrawn by the proposer in light of the comments received and the fact
that the PHIGS Amendment in this area is scheduled for progression to DAM
status.  This includes Registration Proposals #155 - 191, 193 - 195.
Disposition of Comments are contained in SC24 N1215.

12.  Registration Proposal #196
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 delegates authority to its Registration Rapporteur to
resolve the outstanding UK comments on Registration Proposal #196
(Compression Type LZW) with the original proposer, draft a response to the
comment, and then forward the item (modified if necessary) to the
Registration Rapporteur to be entered into the ISO Register of Graphical
Items.

13.  Progression of GKS-94
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 agrees to progress GKS-94 as recorded in the minutes of
the GKS Rapporteur Group  ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 N1221, in particular:

- GKS-94 Part I  (ISO/IEC 7942-1: 1994) to be published as specified in
Resolution 4;
- GKS Fortran (ISO/IEC 8651-1: 1988) to be retained with a technical
corrigendum;
- GKS-94 Fortran 90 (ISO/IEC 8651-5) to be progressed as a separate binding
document;
- GKS-94 C (ISO/IEC 8651-4:1994) (a superset of ISO/IEC 8651-4:1991) to be
published as specified in Resolution 4.

14.  Appointment of External Liaison Officers
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24  confirms the following external liaison officers:

Representative  Liaison to      Topic
A. Mumford      JTC1 SGFS       Functional Standardization & Profiles
D. Bernardini   SC1     Vocabulary
A. Ducrot       SC2     Character Sets & Coding
L. Kotsch       SC18    Text and Office Systems
L. Kotsch       SC18/WG4        Document Processing & Related Communication
S. Carson       SC18/WG8        Text Processing Languages
S. Carson       SC21    Information Retrieval,Transfer & Management for  OSI
M. Bakker       SC22/WG14       C Language
G. Paquette     SC22/WG21       C++ Language
R. Puk  SC22/WG3        Ada Language
I. Grieger      SC22/WG5        Fortran Language
Ch. Blum        SC29    Coded Representation of Picture, Audio, &
Multimedia/Hypermedia
W. Herzner      SC29/WG12       MHEG
J. Rix  TC184/SC4       Product Data Description
P. ten Hagen    IMA     PREMO
P. ten Hagen    OMG     PREMO

15.  Liaison Statements
SC24 approves the following liaison statements from ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 to
Other Organizations:

Doc.  No.       Recipient       Subject
SC24 N1187      SC21/WG7        Object Services
SC24 N1195      OMG & SC21/WG7  Formal Description Techniques (FDTs)
SC24 N1196      OMG     Object Technology in PREMO
SC24 N1197      JTC1    Formal Description Techniques (FDTs)
SC24 N1199      SC18/WG3        Character Set Version

16.  Response to Liaison Statements
SC24 approves the following response to liaison statements from other
organizations:

Doc. No.        Organization    Subject
SC24 N1193      SC18/WG4        Body Parts for Message Handling Systems
(MHS), (SC18  N4672), (SC24 N1192)

III.  ADMINISTRATION

17.  SC24 Chair
SC24 encourages the US National Body to nominate G S Carson as SC24 Chairman.

18.  Disbanding of WG1
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 agrees to disband WG1.  SC24 agrees to reassign its work
from its terms of reference contained in the minutes of  the WG1 Bordeaux
meeting (SC24 N1173) and as summarized in the following table:

Old WG1 Task    New Responsible Party
Maintenance of ISO 11072        Project Editor
Maintenance of ISO 10641        Project Editor
Management of External Liaisons SC24 Chair and Secretariat
Solicitation of User Requirements       Special Rapporteurs
Guidance of New Projects prior to
Approval of the NPs     Existing WGs or a New WG
Specification Techniques        General:  Special Rapporteur
Specific Projects:  by WGs
SC24 Internal Management Information
and Strategic Plan      If done at all, by SC24 volunteers working by email
under direction of SC24 Chair

19.  Appointment of Conveners
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 approves the following Conveners:

WG      Conveners       Group
4       Ingolf Grieger  Language Bindings and Registration
6       Paul ten Hagen  Multimedia Presentation and Interchange
7       William Puckett*        Image Processing and Interchange

* Subject to USA National Body nomination

20.  Appointment of Rapporteurs
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 approves the following Rapporteurs:

WG      Rapporteur      Group
4       M. Skall        Validation & Testing
4       S. Sherrick     Registration
6       A. Mumford      CGM
6       K. Brodlie      GKS
6       H. Stenzel      PREMO

21.  Vacant Positions
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 notes that the following positions are vacant and
requests National Bodies to submit nominations for candidates to fill the
following positions:

* PHIGS Rapporteur
* Liaison to TC130

22.  Special Rapporteur for Graphical User Interfaces
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 accepts the report of the Special Rapporteur for GUI,
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 N1114, and encourages WG6 to pursue the GUI proposal, as
outlined by the Rapporteur in ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 N1194 (Follow-Up on SC24
Study on GUIs).

23.  Encouragement of Electronic Availability of Standards
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 encourages JTC1 to use its own standards (e.g., SGML,
CGM) for the storage and distribution of the text of ISO standards.
SC24/WG6/CGM RG experts are asked to investigate further.

24.  Encouragement to Use CGM in Network Tools
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 believes that CGM is the best format for the exchange of
picture information across networks.  SC24 encourages the CGM RG to
investigate the use of CGM in network tools, including MIME and World Wide
Web.  (Note that CGM is being progressed as a body part for MHS.)

25.  Encouragement of Conformance Requirements in Standards
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 notes that the CGM RG work on profile rules reflects a
commitment to the need for conformance requirements in standards and a
basis for subsequent testing of implementations.  SC24 encourages all WGs
and RGs to make these aspects an important part of their standards.

26.  Encouragement to Use Formal Description Techniques
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 actively endorses and encourages the use of formal
description techniques during the development of SC24 standards.

27.  Endorsement to Use Formal Description Languages in the Development of PREMO
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 endorses the use of the formal description language,
OBJECT-Z, in the development of PREMO.

28.  Publication of Formal Descriptions of SC24 Standards
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 encourages the publication of formal descriptions of SC24
standards according to the guidelines in Annex F of JTC1 Directives, Second
Edition, 1992.  This includes publication as an ISO Technical Report, if
the Formal Description is not published with the standard.

29.  Liaison Encouragement to Use Formal Description Techniques
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 agrees to forward  the Report of the ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC24
Special Rapporteur Group on Formal Description Techniques, SC24 N1152, to
JTC 1 (for information) and to the appropriate liaisons (including OMG and
SC21/WG 7).

30.  Revision of JTC1 Directives
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 notes that the JTC1 directives are being updated.
Although the document,  JTC1 N 2664, Revision of the JTC 1 Directives
Version 2, is still under review,  its provisions are being followed.  SC24
wishes to draw attention particularly to:
-       the provision for a 4 month period for DIS/DAM ballots, unless the
JTC1 secretariat is advised otherwise;
-       criteria for the use of defect procedures (14.4.2.3) (see UK Input
SC24 N1088).

31.  CGI Defects Editor
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 appoints Graham Reynolds as Defects Editor for CGI (IS
9636) and requests all National Bodies to nominate experts to the CGI
Defects Editing Group.

32.  Involvement of V&T Rapporteur
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 agrees that the Validation and Testing Rapporteur should
continue to be included in any team of experts reviewing the text of SC24
standards before the final submission of the text to  ITTF.  The V&T
Rapporteur will coordinate editorial input from V&T experts on the final
text relating to conformance.

33.  5-Year Meeting Plan
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 adopts the following 5-year meeting plan:

Date (yy-mm-dd) Location
95-07-05 to 14  Ottawa, Canada *
96-06 to 07     Japan
97-05 to 06     Sweden
98-06 to 07     UK
99      USA

* See the Meeting Plan SC24 N1222.

34.  Future Meetings
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 approves the meeting schedule contained in document SC24
N1214.

IV APPRECIATION

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 thanks:

-       its retiring Chairman, Barry Shepherd, for his long service to SC24;
-       its retiring WG1 convener, Peter Bono, for his long service to SC24;
-       its retiring WG7 convener, Detlef Krömker, for his long service to SC24;

-       Christof Blum for his work as editor of ISO/IEC 12087 Part 3;
-       Christine Hieaux for her work as the editor of the French version
of CGM:1992;
-       Satoshi Kasai for his work as the editor of PHIGS PLUS/Fortran;
-       William Pratt for his work as editor of ISO/IEC 12087 Part 2;
-       Richard Puk for his work as the editor of PHIGS PLUS/Ada;
-       Lynne Rosenthal for her work as the editor of CGM:1992 Amendment 1;
-       Susan Sherrick for her work as editor of the ISO Procedures for
Registration of Graphical Items;
-       Steve Wampler for his work as the editor of PHIGS PLUS/C;
-       Dave Larson for his work as PHIGS Defects Editor;

-       Bill Clifford for his work as PHIGS rapporteur;
-       Graham Reynolds for his work as special rapporteur on Formal
Description Techniques;
-       Karl Soop for his work as special rapporteur on Graphical User
Interfaces;
-       Michelle Davis for her work as Registration Rapporteur;
-       Norbert Gerfelder for his liaison report on ITU relationships

-       Steve Carson for standing in as SC24 Chair at the meeting;
-       Christof Blum for standing in as WG7 Convener at the meeting;
-       Paul ten Hagen and Dick Puk for standing as rapporteurs at the meeting;
-       AFNOR for hosting the meeting;
-       IBM for providing meeting space;
-       Jean-Michel Borde, André Ducrot, and Joël Quévat for their work as
local organizers;
-       Christine Hieaux, Jean Stride, and Elaine Bono for the smooth
operation of the Secretariat;
-       the drafting committee, Chris Cartledge, Karl Soop, Jerry Smith and
Jean Stride.