Subject: ALERT ALERT --- Request for information

From: "Barry J. Shepherd" <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Dec 93 10:42:29 EST

I have just received some documentation from the November (Korea) meetings 
of SC29/WG12 (MHEG) and the SC29 plenary.  The plenary supported the 
request of WG12 to petition JTC1 for a subdivision of the MHEG project to 
create a new Part III:  MHEG extensions for scripting language support.  
The target dates for start of CD, DIS, and IS ballots are end 94, mid 95, 
and end 95.  This is separate from the totally new project to define the 
encoding of the semantics of SMSL being defined by SC18/WG8.

Based on previous documents I have seen, I am concerned that the proposed 
prt III of the existing MHEG work may involve either the specification of 
semantics (outsied the current scope of SC29) or the creation of a toolkit 
(which would compete with PREMO).  I thus ask you to check with your 
national bodies to find out more about the proposed subdivision of project  
1.29.06 (to add a subproject ".3").  Please provide me with any information 
about the intended scope of this work.  Of course, if you decide that the 
work is already covered by the stated (and approved!!!) PREMO NP then you 
might wish to provide such comments through your national bodies, since SCs 
can only provide comments on letter ballots.