Subject: New ISO/IEC Directives

From: jean stride <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 04:20:39 -0400

FYI

-------------Forwarded Message-----------------

From:	Julie Oh, INTERNET:[email-masked]

Date:	13/09/2001 20:59 

RE:	New ISO/IEC Directives

Dear Sir or Madam
We are pleased to announce the availability of the electronic versions of
the fourth editions of the ISO/IEC Directives, Parts 1 and 2, and the new
supplement:
· Part 1: Procedures for the technical work · Part 2: Rules for the
structure and drafting of International Standards · Supplement - Procedures
specific to ISO (the "ISO Supplement")
The provisions in Part 1 of the new Directives are for application with
immediate effect. The application of Part 2 will be mandatory for the
registration of all enquiry drafts (DIS - stage 40.00) by the Central
Secretariat after 1 January 2002 and for the registration of final drafts
(FDIS - stage 50.00) after 1 July 2002. However, it is recommended that the
provisions in Part 2 are also applied from now on. A summary of the
application dates, together with information on how each document replaces
its predecessor(s), is given in ISO/IEC Directives, 4th edition -- Revision
table and implementation dates and the associated document Summary of
principal changes (available in the folder Associated documents at
www.iso.ch/sdis/directives
<http://isotc.iso.ch/livelink/livelink/fetch/2000/2123/14006/639511/customvi
ew.html?func=ll&objId=639511&objAction=browse&sort=-modifydate>).
An important aspect in the preparation of these new editions was the
consolidation of the previous three parts of the ISO/IEC Directives into two
new parts. Furthermore, Part 1 was reviewed to differentiate between the
common ISO/IEC procedures and those procedures unique to ISO or IEC. The
former "common" procedures remain as the ISO/IEC Directives, Part 1; the
unique procedures are now in separate supplements to be used in conjunction
with Part 1. The ISO Supplement thus includes the ISO forms and model
letters (published in English only).
The procedures described in Part 1 and the ISO Supplement do not necessarily
apply to the work of ISO/IEC JTC 1, for which reference should instead be
made to the latest version of the ISO/IEC Directives, Procedures for the
technical work of ISO/IEC JTC 1 on Information technology
(<http://www.jtc1.org/directives/main.htm>).
Details concerning the revisions are given in the Foreword of each document.
For convenience, a combined sTummary table is available in the folder
Associated documents at www.iso.ch/sdis/directives
<http://isotc.iso.ch/livelink/livelink/fetch/2000/2123/14006/639511/customvi
ew.html?func=ll&objId=639511&objAction=browse&sort=-modifydate>. With
respect to Part 1, particular attention is drawn to subclause 2.1.6, where
new target dates are considered, some of which are shorter than was the
previous case. What is important is that these are no longer mandatory time
limits, but proposed limits to be used as guidance when establishing target
dates. This is a significant change in philosophy that reflects the view
that it is reasonable to expect a committee itself to define the pace of a
work item, and thus associated target dates, but that at the same time that
such target dates need to be realistic (i.e. considered timescales based on
various aspects, including priority and resources) and must be monitored and
managed effectively. [Note that the only mandatory time limits specified for
development relate to stagnant projects (automatically cancelled if it has
not advanced within a period of 36 months) and to apparently moribund
projects (automatically cancelled if from the date of inclusion in the
programme of work, it has not reached the publication stage within 84
months).]
Complementing these new publications is an associated improvement in how
future changes will be notified. Agreements of the ISO Technical Management
Board that result in changes to these documents will now be notified as soon
as possible to the ISO members and committees as ISO Change Notifications.
All these documents are accessible directly at www.iso.ch/sdis/directives
<http://isotc.iso.ch/livelink/livelink/fetch/2000/2123/14006/639511/customvi
ew.html?func=ll&objId=639511&objAction=browse&sort=-modifydate>, or via the
Standards Developers' Information Site (www.iso.ch/sdis
<http://www.iso.ch/sdis>). (These documents will be published on paper later
in the year. Appropriate details will be provided at that time.) The same
sites also provide access to
· the ISO forms and model letters (published in English only) - also
available directly at www.iso.ch/sdis/forms <http://www.iso.ch/sdis/forms>,
· a consolidated text comprising the ISO/IEC Directives, Part 1, the ISO
Supplement, and all relevant ISO Change Notifications (electronic format
only), · this message, · powerful search functions of the ISO document
management system to locate information using a users' own search criteria,
and · for authorized users (typically committee secretariats and chairmen),
the complete texts of normative references cited in the Directives
themselves, or in the ISO Supplement. 
New releases of the automated ISO template (STD) which include a number of
functional improvements as well as the provision for the creation of new
document types will be made available soon: the first release (STD 2.0) is
conformant with the rules of the old Part 3; the second release, to be made
available soon after, will be conformant with the 2001 edition of Part 2.
Finally, but not the least important, also launched with this new edition is
a new ISO Directives Helpdesk ([email-masked]). Questions and comments on
any aspect of the directives or the ISO Supplement (including any matter
raised in this letter) should be submitted to this helpdesk. Use this easy
way to contribute to the evolution of the procedures under which ISO's
publications are developed.
Given that this message contains information that is of potential interest
to all participants in ISO's work, please feel free to forward copies of it
to any interested parties.
Yours sincerely
Mike Smith 
Director

----------------------- Internet Header --------------------------------
Sender: [email-masked]
From: Julie Oh <[email-masked]>
To: Julie Oh <[email-masked]>, Sara Hafele <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        Keith Brannon <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        Lisa Rajchel <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        Jennifer Garner
	 <[email-masked]>, A Haberman <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        Norway
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        Robert L Pritchard <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        R T Steinbrenner <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        Maria Pernach <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        Thomas F Frost
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "'Jean-Loup COMMO'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>, D Mann <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        Mary Glaser <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>
Subject: New ISO/IEC Directives
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:57:59 -0400
X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.2650.21)