Subject: SC 24 Delegation to JTC 1 Meeting: Planning Spatial Standardization & Related Interoperability

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 13:07:16 -0700

SC 24 Delegation to JTC 1 Meeting: Planning Spatial Standardization &
Related Interoperability

SC 24/WG 8 has recommended the following delegation to the above meeting:

  R. Puk, SEDRIS Document Editor
  S. Carson, SC 24 Chairman

If any one else would like to be part of the SC 24 delegation, please
contact me this week so we can include your name. Additional information on
this meeting (already circulated to this reflector on 10 January) follows:

The registration information for JTC1's "Planning Spatial Standardization &
Related Interoperability" meeting is on-line at:

http://www.islinkup.com/

It is especially important that representatives of WG 8, WG6 (for VRML,
especially geo-VRML), the SEDRIS Organization, W3C and the Web3D Consortium
attend. This meeting was authorized by JTC 1 resolution 29 from the Dec
1999 Seoul meeting whose text follows:

Resolution 29 - Special JTC 1 Meetings On Planning Spatial Standardization
& Related Interoperability

     JTC 1 resolves to conduct a planning exercise in the area of spatial
standardization and
     related interoperability.

     a)  JTC 1 authorizes Mr. Martin Ford, UK to call not more than two
special meetings
           between now and the next JTC 1 Plenary meeting to co-ordinate
existing and proposed
           work in the spatial standardization and related interoperability. 

           The potential audience and terms of reference are as follows as:

     b)  INVITEES

          The invitees shall comprise experts from National Bodies and
Liaison Organizations 
          and at least the following organizations/committees:

           JTC 1/SC 24
           JTC 1/SC 32
           ISO TC 184 /SC 4
           ISO TC 211
           ISO TC 204
           OGC
           SEDRIS

     c)  TERMS OF REFERENCE

          The purpose of the meetings is to develop a mutually agreed plan
between the interested parties setting out the responsibilities for work in
spatial standardization and its related interoperability. The main aim is
to achieve minimal overlap and optimum collaboration.

     d)  Mr Ford is requested to report back to JTC 1 on meetings with
recommendations for any further JTC 1 decisions and/or ballots.

     e)  Subject to confirmation by the prospective invitees and the US
National body, it is proposed to hold the first meeting in the US, early in
2000.

Steve Carson
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24
Computer Graphics and Image Processing
---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson       http://www.huntel.com/~carson/
GSC Associates     http://www.gscassociates.com/
5272 Redman Road   phone:+1-505-521-7399; fax:+1-505-521-9321
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA     e-mail:  [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------