Subject: Proposed change to SC 24 Scope

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:47:43 -0700

As you may know, the JTC 1 Plenary in Seoul, Republic of Korea, failed to
approve a change in scope requested by SC 24 to cover the SEDRIS NPs that
we expect to be approved shortly. Unfortunately the issue of SC 24 scope
change got coupled to the results of an upcoming series of special meetings
to discuss coordination of spatial standardization. The organizer of these
meetings never intended that these two issues (SEDRIS and spatial
coordination) become tightly coupled, especially since the one or two
coordination meetings to be held may not be completed until the summer of
2000.

In an effort to resolve this problem, the BSI created a position and
submitted it to JTC 1 (JTC 1 N 6022) saying: "The UK supports the change in
title and scope as proposed in J1N5940 subject to the qualification of the
term 'environment representation' with the word 'synthetic' where it occurs
in the document. The UK asks JTC 1 to initiate a 60 day letter ballot on
the revised title and terms of reference as soon as possible." (The full
contribution is reproduced below.)

The JTC 1 Chairman has informed me that he wants a statement from SC 24
that we support the UK position and will accept the qualification
"synthetic" added to "environment representation." Does any NB object to SC
24 telling JTC 1 that the proposed change is acceptable to us? If so,
please let Jean Stride and myself know by Monday 24 January 2000 at 1700
UTC. If we hear no objections we will send the following statement to JTC 1:

"ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24 agrees with the UK National Body position in ISO/IEC
JTC 1 N 6022 and in particular accepts replacing "environment
representation" by  "synthetic environment representation" in the proposed
scope as originally stated in JTC 1 N 5940. SC 24 requests that JTC 1
initiate a 60 day letter ballot on the revised title and terms of reference
as soon as possible."

ISO/IEC JTC 1
Information Technology
ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 6022
DATE: 1999-12-22
REPLACES
DOC TYPE:
National Body Contribution
TITLE:
UK National Body Position on the New Title and Terms of Reference for
JTC 1/SC 24 Proposed in JTC 1 N 5940
SOURCE:
UK National Body
PROJECT:
STATUS:
This contribution is circulated to JTC 1 members for information at
this time.
ACTION ID: FYI
DUE DATE:
DISTRIBUTION: P and L Members
MEDIUM:
DISKETTE NO.:
NO. OF PAGES: 1
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1, American National Standards Institute, 11
West 42nd Street, New York, NY 10036; Telephone: 1 212 642 4932;
Facsimile: 1 212 840 2298; Email: [email-masked]

UK Position in respect of the letter ballot on the new title and terms of
reference of SC24 as proposed in J1N5940

The UK supports the change in title and scope as proposed in J1N5940 subject
to the qualification of the term 'environment representation' with the word
'synthetic' where it occurs in the document. The UK asks JTC 1 to initiate
a 60
day letter ballot on the revised title and terms of reference as soon as
possible.

The revised title and scope would be:

Proposed new title and terms of reference for ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24 : Computer graphics, image processing and synthetic
environmental representation
Subcommittee Area of Work
Area of Work: Standardization of interfaces, in windowed and non-windowed
environments, for:

- computer graphics
- image processing
- synthetic environmental representation
- interaction with, and visual presentation of information

Included are the following related areas:
Related reference models; application specifications; functional
specification;
interchange formats; device interfaces; testing methods, registration
procedures; presentation and support for creation of multimedia and
hypermedia documents.

Excluded:

Character and image coding; coding of multimedia and hypermedia document
interchange formats, JTC 1 work in user system interfaces and document
presentation.

Steve Carson
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24
Computer Graphics and Image Processing
---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson       http://www.huntel.com/~carson/
GSC Associates     http://www.gscassociates.com/
5272 Redman Road   phone:+1-505-521-7399; fax:+1-505-521-9321
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA     e-mail:  [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------