Subject: Presentation materials from spatial standards meetings

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 22:35:34 -0700

This note describes how you can obtain copies of the presentations given at
two informal meetings on spatial standardization held a few weeks ago.

A "Spatial Standards Briefing" was held on 9 December 1999 on the campus of
UCLA in Los Angeles, CA in conjunction with a plenary meeting of the Open
GIS Consortium (OGC).  The session was informal and directed at providing
background information to help OGC come to a consensus position on issues
regarding placement and coordination of formal standards activities in the
area of spatial information standards.

Cliff Kottman, VP and Chief Scientist of the Open GIS Consortium, opened
the meeting with a short briefing to acquaint OGC members with the issues.
Following Cliff's introduction, additional presenters included:

·	Keith Brannon (representing JTC 1/ITTF (Information Technology Task Force), 
·	Martin Ford (representing JTC 1), 
·	John Rowley (representing TOCG), 
·	Carl Cargill (representing JCP), 
·	Steve Smyth (representing ISO TC 204), 
·	Steve Carson (representing SC24), 
·	Farid Mamaghani (representing the SEDRIS Organization),
·	Paul Scarponcini (representing JTC 1/SC 32 - Data Management and Services),
·	Dave Archer (representing POSC - Petrotechnical Open Software Corporation),
	Henry Tom (representing L1, the US TAG to ISO/TC 211).

The presentations made at this meeting taken together provide a good
picture of spatial standardization.  They are posted at:

	http://www.opengis.org/techno/presentations.htm 

On December 17, 1999 an "Informal Meeting" on Spatial Standardization at
was held at Defense Information System Agency (DISA) in Reston, Virginia.
Twenty experts who are participants in various standards activities
participated.  The major presentations at this meeting covered the work of
ISO TC 211, OGC, JTC 1/SC 24 and the SEDRIS Organization.  The
presentations are posted at:

	http://www.jtc1tag.org/spatial_stds/spatial.htm 

Steve Carson
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24
Computer Graphics and Image Processing
---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson       http://www.huntel.com/~carson/
GSC Associates     http://www.gscassociates.com/
5272 Redman Road   phone:+1-505-521-7399; fax:+1-505-521-9321
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA     e-mail:  [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------