Subject: Draft Compressed Binary Format Requirements

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 18:14:23 -0600

I am forwarding the following mail from the VRML community. Since some or
all of the VRML Compressed Binary Format may eventually be standardized
through SC 24 I am requesting SC 24 experts to take this opportunity to
participate in the VRML Consortium review process on the requirements
document.

>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: >>GET INVOLVED<< - Draft CBF Requirements
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Mime-Version: 1.0
>Sender: [email-masked]
>Precedence: list
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>To the VRML community,
>
>VRML 2.0 was published on August 4th 1996. Determination of a binary
>format for VRML 2.0 was removed from the 2.0 specification in order to
>get consensus on the core features first. However, the need for a
>binary format has been recognized for some time. The first binary
>format RFP was published on 18 September 1996.
>
>In the ensuing 18 months much effort has been spent and much progress
>has been made in this area. Despite that, through several working
>drafts we did not reach final agreement on any proposal for a VRML CBF.
>Thus the VRB decided on March 17th to reject the current draft
>proposals.
>
>In addition to these details surrounding the recent history of the CBF
>Working Group, there is consensus that there has been significant
>evolution in both the technical requirements and the business context
>over this period of time. Thus the VRB has decided to redirect the
>work-in-progress by issuing a new statement of requirements to take
>into consideration both the past history of this WG and the new
>context.
>
>The VRB has issued a draft of the revised requirements statement
>and has made it available for review at
><http://www.vrml.org/WorkingGroups/vrml-cbf/draftbinreqs.html>. The
>VRB requests that all interested members of the VRML community read
>the document and make comments on it to the VRB <[email-masked]>. All
>comments must be received by May 6, 1998.
>
>You may also want to join the VRML Compressed Binary Format Working
>Group <http://www.vrml.org/WorkingGroups/vrml-cbf/cbfwg.html> which
>will be working to bring the Compressed Binary Format to reality.
>
>This is your opportunity to affect the future of VRML. Please get
>involved!
>
>the VRB
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>for list subscription instructions,
>send email to [email-masked] with text "info"
>
>
>

Steve Carson
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24
Computer Graphics and Image Processing
---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------