Subject: Request for assistance from SC 29

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 08:49:03 -0700

I have a request for assistance from Kevin Barron
([email-masked]) who co-chairs the SC 29/ WG 11 (i.e. MPEG-4)
ad hoc group on the topic of normative composition along with Mike Coleman
([email-masked]) and Graham Thomas ([email-masked]). The
charter of this group is:

1. To identify most relevant applications
2. To identify requirements for normative composition from application
point of view
3. To identify potential conformance points
4. To identify possible approaches
5. To see how VRML and other groups approach the problem

As Kevin has explained the problem to me it includes the need to
standardise a "display buffer", that is a specific pixel representation
that would be normative based on an input MPEG-4 stream. One motivation is
to give the content author guarantees about what the output (within
reasonable bounds) will look and sound like. 

Since SC 24 has long experience in dealing with similar issues in both the
conformance statements within our standards and in the strategies we have
developed for conformance testing it is very appropriate that we advise and
assist SC 29 in this endeavor.

This is the procedure for anyone wanting to join the ad-hoc group reflector:

Send a message to: 

[email-masked]

with this in the body:

subscribe mpeg4norm_com "your_email_address"

Steve Carson
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24
Computer Graphics and Image Processing
---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------