Subject: (SC24.373) RE: SC24 Plenary

From: Rafael Goldsmith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 09:41:33 -0500

To All:

1.  From the WG7 perspective, I see mostly maintenance work for IIF, PIKS and BIIF; for example, registration, testing, defects, and the like.  

2. Regarding new activities, we'll have a short brainstorming session at the WG7 February meeting in Annapolis, Maryland to explore what the JTC1 business team work may bring to WG7, but the results may not be ready to initiate work at the SC24 meeting in July. Other alternatives would include joining forces to support new initiatives that SC24 has been working, i.e., PNG and VRML.

3. The idea about having a short meeting at Orlando, following Siggraph98 sounds plausible; I don't know how that would influence the ability of WG7 members to participate there rather than at London.  I will ask the group.

Cheers!  Rafael Goldsmith, WG7 Convener.

----------
From: 	Jean Stride
Sent: 	Wednesday, January 28, 1998 5:26 AM
To: 	Richard Puk
Cc: 	Steve Carson; ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24
Subject: 	(SC24.369) SC24 Plenary

Hello,

Just so that you are aware I am on vacation from 24 May 1998 - 11 June
1998.
I would much rather we held a short meeting, after SIGGRAPH, in the Orlando
area.
>From a secretariat point of view this is how things currently stand:

IMAGING
As BIIF will be complete by then, there is no current work for WG 7, nor
any "formal" proposals
being put before SC 24 at the present. (NPs may come from the February
meeting)

PNG
Having spoken to one of the PNG editors,  we expect to launch the PNG FCD
in April, so it
 will still be under ballot in July, so "formally" we can not  edit/act on
it at that time.  (We could however
start preparing it in "ISO" format earlier).  The current  time for FCD
ballot is 6 months, although the draft 
JTC 1 directives propose 4m14days will become the norm (but this is not yet
approved).
There will need to be some kind of editing meeting in the Autumn.

GKS/PHIGS/CGM - no real business, just some editing work

IGBT - No firm work at present

I think the major task of  any SC 24 meeting will be to rethink our future
- we need to start some
concrete work if we are to continue as any knid of seperate entity

Jean