Subject: (SC24.364) SC24 Plenary

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 13:55:13 -0700

At 10:09 AM 1/27/98 -0800, Richard Puk wrote:
>Steve --
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
>Date: Tuesday, January 27, 1998 7:53 AM
>Subject: (SC24.361) SC24 Plenary
>
>
>>It has just been brought to my attention that SIGGRAPH98 is scheduled early
>>this year, on 19-24 July 1998 (in Orlando, Florida USA.) We currently have
>>the SC 24 1998 Plenary meeting scheduled for 16-22 July 1998 near London,
>>UK. This is a conflict since many of us will be attending SIGGRAPH.
>
>OOPS! I am definitely required to be at SIGGRAPH this year.
>
>>
>>Also, there is the issue of how much work there will be to do in our
>>Working Groups in conjunction with this year's Plenary meeting. We have
>>just completed some major pieces of work and the new work that we expect is
>>not in most cases begum yet.
>>
>>The above two facts suggest the following:
>>
>>1) Shorten this year's SC 24 plenary and WG meetings. In this regard we
>>need to hear from our WGs how many days of meeting time they require this
>>year before the SC 24 plenary.
>
>Won't there be some PNG review by then? There may also be some additional
>VRML work to get started. How about MPEG-4 relationships?
>

The NP is currently on ballot with a close date of 17 March 1998. If the NP
is approved then we could start a CD ballot (as output of a  previously
authorized meeting that we might hold in about April), but the ballot would
still be open at our July meeting.

>>
>>2) Consider moving the shortened meeting and holding it in the USA
>>co-located with SIGGRAPH, to be held just before of just after SIGGRAPH. In
>>this regard I need to hear from the USA whether they would be able to host
>>a shortened SC 24 and WG meetings this summer.
>>
>
>OK by me. We would have to hold it in Orlando but we might be able to get
>the SIGGRAPH 98 committee to arrange for meeting space.

Using SIGGRAPH facilities would overlap it with SIGGRAPH and I don't think
people would find that acceptable.

I have made some preliminary checks and it looks like there is a
possibility at least that a host could be found if the US NB would offer to
host the meeting.

>
>How about alternative 3):
>
>3) Consider moing the SC24 meeting back to its proper timeframe (early June)
>and hold it somewhere in Europe that can actually host it at that time.
>

I believe there are two problems with this:

a) The four month rule on the formal announcement would force us to act
very quickly.

b) If the meeting is much smaller than normal and much scaled back then it
will not be worth a separate trip just to attend a few days. I have been
approached by people in Europe and asked to consider shifting the meeting
to be adjacent to SIGGRAPH so that travel could be minimized.

>  -- Dick Puk
>
>--------------------------------------------------------------------
> Richard F. Puk    Intelligraphics Incorporated
> 7644 Cortina Court, Carlsbad, California  92009-8206 USA
> Tel: +1-760-753-9027    Fax: +1-760-753-9027
> E-Mail: [email-masked]
>--------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------