Subject: Sun Approved as PAS Submitter

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 14:35:40 -0700

From http://www.jtc1.org/PressRelease.html

Press Release

ISO/IEC JTC 1 Approves Sun Microsystems, Inc. as a Recognized PAS Submitter
for its Java Technology

By a majority vote of its participating National Bodies, ISO/IEC JTC 1 (the
International Committee for Information Technology Standardization)
approves Sun Microsystems, Inc. as a Recognized PAS Submitter for its Java
Technology. The vote passed with a tally of twenty approvals, two
disapprovals and two abstentions. Three National Bodies did not submit a vote.

This approval by ISO/IEC JTC 1 is the first step in the PAS process which
will allow Sun Microsystems, Inc. to submit its Java Technology to ISO/IEC
JTC 1 for vote to become an International Standard. The procedures for
moving to this next phase are detailed in the Procedures for the technical
work of ISO/IEC JTC 1 on Information Technology, Supplement 1: The
transposition of publicly available specifications into International
Standards. 

Thirteen of the twenty approval votes contain comments that must be
responded to by Sun Microsystems, Inc. prior to its submission of a
specification for vote by ISO/IEC JTC 1. These comments have been forwarded
to Sun Microsystems, Inc. for consideration.

ISO/IEC JTC 1 welcomes Sun Microsystems, Inc. to its growing number of
Recognized PAS Submitters which include X-Open, DAVIC (Digital Audio Visual
Industry Council), VESA (Video Electronics Standards Association) and IrDA
(Infrared Data Association).

Steve Carson
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24
Computer Graphics and Image Processing
---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------