Subject: First attachment to SC 24 OMG position

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 11:25:09 -0600

This OMG document (their number 94-10-37) would be an attachment to the SC
24 contribution on the OMG PAS application to JTC 1.

- - -
To:  ISO/IEC JTC1/SC 24 Secretariat
From:     Object Management Group (C-Liaison to ISO/IEC
JTC1/SC21/WG7)
Subject:  Referencing of OMG specs in ISO/IEC CD 14 478-1,2
Ref: ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 N 1195, Liaison Statement on Formal
Description
     Techniques, N 1196, Object Technology in PREMO.
CC:  US TAG to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24
Date:     October 4, 1994

Enclosed is a liaison statement from the Object Management Group
(OMG) to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC 24.  The statement has the approval of
OMG President Chris Stone, Vice President and Technical Director
Dr. Richard Soley, and Director of Program Management and
Chairman of the Liaison Subcommittee Dr. Jon Siegel.

The statement refers to OMG's disapproval of attempts by SC24 and
its working groups to modify or adapt OMG specifications.  We are
putting such disapproval into this formal statement because JTC1
SC 24 has not ceased attempts to modify or adapt OMG
specifications after being notified several times previously.

OMG has established a productive, two-way, working relationship
with ISO/IEC JTC1/SC 21 Open Distributed Processing (ODP) which
we propose as a model for a relationship with JTC1/SC 24.  We are
anxious to work with members of SC 24 towards such a goal.

Communications to OMG on this matter should be addressed to Dr.
Jon Siegel, Chairman of the Liaison Subcommittee for OMG.

Respectfully,

Jon Siegel
Chairman, Liaison Subcommittee and Director of Program Management

         Liaison Statement to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 from the
                     Object Management Group

October 5, 1994

The Object Management Group (OMG) has received copies of
statements ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 N 1195, Liaison Statement on Formal
Description Techniques, and N 1196, Object Technology in PREMO.

OMG does not approve of attempts by ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 or any
other group to modify or adapt OMG specifications outside of the
OMG process.

Because OMG is absolutely committed to the stability of its
specifications, the Group does not allow modification of these
specifications outside of its established and deliberate
procedures.  This policy has successfully led to the creation of
a rapidly growing market already populated by a number of
software products representing a large development investment.
The OMG revision process is built around a committee which
includes all of the original technology contributors.  Their
recommendations are subject to approval by 2/3 vote of the OMG
Technical Committee, followed by vote of the OMG Board of
Directors, ensuring the stability we require.

In addition to stability, interoperability standards must be
adoptable universally in order to be useful.  Many groups - not
just ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 - would like to modify or extend OMG
specifications.  Focusing their efforts through OMG avoids
otherwise certain divergence into a suite of alternative
standards which would lack the commonality required to
interoperate.  Established OMG procedures allow diverse groups to
input requirements into a single, widely-applicable
specification.   OMG's open membership policy and task-force
based technology adoption procedure produce a forum where these
groups come together to adopt specifications which take all of
their needs into account.

OMG offers its specifications to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 for adoption
as ISO standard by reference only.  Under these conditions OMG
will accept - and in fact will welcome - requests from ISO/IEC
JTC1/SC24 for modifications or extensions to OMG specifications
through OMG's established process.  OMG has made an identical
offer to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC21 WG7 (ODP) and a productive, two-way
working relationship has been established.  OMG would be pleased
to participate in such a relationship with JTC1/SC24 as well.

OMG reminds ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24 that OMG has only granted
permission for limited copying of OMG specifications without
change, for purpose of committee deliberation and balloting.
JTC1/SC24 has requested additional permissions from OMG but these
have been denied, for the reasons stated above.  This position is
not going to change.  OMG does not approve of attempts by
JTC1/SC24  members to obtain copyright permission from individual
OMG member companies outside of normal OMG process.  Although any
individual copyright holder can grant permission for JTC1/SC24 to
copy, and even modify, an OMG specification, this would not
establish a basis for cooperation between the two groups.  In
fact, OMG would find it almost impossible to cooperate further
with JTC1/SC24 should that committee utilize OMG specifications
via copyright acquired outside of a liaison relationship directly
with OMG itself.

---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------