Subject: Recommendations of JTC1 Reengineering

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 14:48:42 -0600

Here is the full text of the recommendations. This is circulated to SC24
for information. I will be separately discussing several of these
recommendations on the reflector in the coming days:

<cover>
				ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 4780

Title:		Recommendations of the JTC 1 Ad Hoc on JTC 1 Reengineering, 
		16-20 June 1997 in London, UK
Source:	JTC 1 Ad Hoc on JTC 1 Reengineering

ISO/IEC JTC 1                                                         
Information Technology                                                

ISO/IEC  JTC 1 N 4780                   

DATE:  1997.06.24     

REPLACES                                     

DOC TYPE:
Resolutions                                                           

TITLE:
Recommendations of the JTC 1 Ad Hoc on JTC 1 Reengineering, 16-20 June
1997 in London, UK                                                    

SOURCE:
JTC 1 Secretariat                                                     

PROJECT:                   

STATUS:
This document is circulated to JTC 1 National Bodes and SCs for       
information.  Separate documents will be issued for each item         
requesting action.                                                    

ACTION ID:  FYI 

DUE DATE:            

DISTRIBUTION:  P and L Members                                             

MEDIUM:  D

DISKETTE NO.:  137       

NO. OF PAGES:  5         

Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1, American National Standards Institute, 11 
West 42nd Street, New York, NY  10036; Telephone:  1 212 642 4932;    
Facsimile:  1 212 398 0023; Email:  [email-masked]                 

<document>

The JTC 1 Ad Hoc on JTC 1 Reengineering recommends that:

1. The JTC 1 Secretariat request National Bodies to consider the value and
use of the five-year review process (reference documents JTC 1 N 4629 and N
4747) and whether or not this process should be modified.  National Body
contributions on this topic should be submitted to the JTC 1 Secretariat no
later than 1 August 1997 for consideration at the September 1997 JTC 1
Plenary meeting in Ottawa. 

2. The JTC 1 Secretariat circulate document JTC 1 N 4773, Disposition of
Comments on JTC 1 N 4745 - Proposal for a JTC 1 Business Team Pilot Project
on Electronic Commerce, to JTC 1 National Bodies for information.

3. The JTC 1 Secretariat request SC 2 and SC 27 to consider whether or not
ISO 7064: 1983, Check Character System, is appropriate for inclusion in
either the SC 2 or SC 27 Programme of Work.  The SC 2 and SC 27 Chairmen
are requested to report on this issue at the September 1997 JTC 1 Plenary
meeting in Ottawa. 

4. Technical Corrigenda under ballot be no longer distributed at the JTC 1
level but rather that the distribution be limited to the SC concerned.
Further, National Bodies are requested to provide contributions identifying
other types of documents that are currently distributed to both JTC 1 and
its SCs and where this dual distribution does not necessarily contribute to
the efficiency of the JTC 1 process.  National Body contributions on these
topics should be submitted to the JTC 1 Secretariat no later than 1 August
1997 for consideration at the September 1997 JTC 1 Plenary meeting in Ottawa. 

5. The JTC 1 Chairman prepare an overview of the JTC 1 reengineering
activity that includes the rationale for the activity as well as the
accomplishments achieved with a view to generating further Public Relations
material.  The JTC 1 Chairman is further requested to present this overview
to the September 1997 JTC 1 Plenary meeting in Ottawa 

6. The JTC 1 Secretariat request National Bodies to consider the need for
additional types of  deliverables in JTC 1 beyond the current
International Standards, ISPs and Technical Reports.  National Body
contributions on this topic should be submitted to the JTC 1 Secretariat no
later than 1 August 1997 for consideration at the September 1997 JTC 1
Plenary meeting in Ottawa. 

7. The JTC 1 Secretariat issue a 60 day letter ballot authorizing a
Workshop on Cultural Adaptability to be held no later than March 1998.  The
recommended scope of the Workshop is as follows:
* Engage multiple Technical Direction JTC 1 participation
* Develop policies to guide activities (in a like manner to that of
interoperability and portability)
* Develop a process to ensure cultural adaptability
* Elaborate or amend the definition of cultural adaptability as contained
in document JTC 1 N 4627
* Recommended placement for Coded Character Sets and the relationship with
User Interface
* Increase the responsiveness of JTC 1 to cultural adaptability issues and
increase the visibility of JTC 1 in this endeavor
* Recommendations from the HLSG on CALS concerning multi-byte character
sets and internationalization should be taken into consideration

	JTC 1 Subcommittees are encouraged to participate in this Workshop.  JTC 1
Subcommittees are further encouraged to submit an offer to serve as the
Host for this Workshop.

	The results of this Workshop are to be submitted to JTC 1 for review and
approval by the JTC 1 National Bodies.  Based on the Workshop conclusions,
JTC 1 expects to receive Workshop recommendations on the placement within
JTC 1 of SC 22/WG 20 (Internationalization) and SC 2 (Coded Character Sets).

8. The JTC 1 Secretariat circulate document JTC 1 N 4775, JTC 1 Technical
Directions, Organizational Structure and Modes of Operation, to JTC 1
National Bodies for a 60-day letter ballot.  Comments received on this
ballot will be considered at the September 1997 JTC 1 Plenary meeting in
Ottawa.

9. The JTC 1 Secretariat circulate document JTC 1 N 4774, Message Strategy,
to JTC 1 National Bodies for review and comment.  National Body comments on
this document should be submitted to the JTC 1 Secretariat no later than 1
August 1997 for consideration at the September 1997 JTC 1 Plenary meeting
in Ottawa. 

Based on these comments, the JTC 1 Secretariat request the ISO and IEC
Central Offices to develop a joint press release based on document JTC 1 N
4774, External Message Strategy.  The ISO and IEC Central Offices should
also be requested to review document JTC 1 N 4774 with a view to
considering support for and participation in the development and execution
of the marketing plan.

10. The JTC 1 Chairman utilize the September 1997 SC Chairmen's Forum to
communicate to the SCs the Message Strategy based on document JTC 1 N 4774

11. The JTC 1 Secretariat circulate document JTC 1 N 4732, Proposal from SC
24 for an Imaging Business Team, to JTC 1 National Bodies for a 60-day
letter ballot.  Comments received on this ballot will be considered at the
September 1997 JTC 1 Plenary meeting in Ottawa.

12. The JTC 1 Secretariat request JTC 1 Subcommittes that have active
liaison with ITU-T, and the JTC 1/ITU-T Liaison Coordinator to undertake a
re-assessment / reconfirmation of ITU-T collaboration as described in
document JTC 1 N 4777.

JTC 1 Subcommittees conducting such a re-assessment / reconfirmation should
report back to JTC 1 on the outcome in time for the JTC 1 meeting in
Sendai, Japan in June 1998.

13.	The JTC 1 Secretariat circulate document JTC 1 N 4776, JTC 1 Toolbox,
to JTC 1 National Bodies and Subcommittees for information.  Further,
Subcommittees are reminded that these tools are available and are to be
used to facilitate the operations of the Subcommittees.

14.	Based on the observation that SC 11's standards are primarily developed
using the fast-track procedure, the JTC 1 Secretariat request National
Bodies to consider the future need for SC 11.  National Body comments on
this issue should be submitted to the JTC 1 Secretariat no later than 1
August 1997 for consideration at the September 1997 JTC 1 Plenary meeting
in Ottawa. 

15.	The JTC 1 Secretariat circulate document JTC 1 N 4779, JTC 1 Transition
Plan, to JTC 1 National Bodies and Subcommittees for information.

16.	Anticipating the approval of the JTC 1 letter ballot on document JTC 1
N 4775, JTC 1 Technical Directions, Organizational Structure and Modes of
Operation, and to ensure a rapid transition, the JTC 1 Secretariat:

a) Issue a call for National Body interest in P & O membership and in
assuming  secretariat and/or chairman's responsibilities in the proposed
new subcommittees on Data Management Services and Distributed Application
Services

b) Request the current SC chairmen and Working Group Conveners involved in
the proposed new subcommittees on Data Management Services and Distributed
Application Services to propose meeting plans for the new subcommittees

c) Request SC 21 via its National Bodies and committee officers to
recommend how SC 21 projects (including those in SC 21/WG 3, WG 7 and
maintenance projects) should be assigned between the proposed SC 32 and SC
33 committees
Responses to a) and b) should be completed in time for consideration at the
September 1997 JTC 1 plenary.  For item c) SC 21 is requested to inform JTC
1 as soon as possible but not later than end of September 1997.

17. The JTC 1 Secretariat circulate document JTC 1 N 4771, Resolution of
Comments and Recommended JTC 1 Actions on Each Item in JTC 1 N 4624 -
Summary of Voting on Document JTC 1 N 4502, SWG-GII Recommendations for JTC
1 Approval, to JTC 1 National Bodies for review and comment.  National Body
comments on this document should be submitted to the JTC 1 Secretariat no
later than 1 August 1997 for consideration at the September 1997
Reengineering Ad Hoc meeting which will take place during the JTC 1 Plenary
meeting in Ottawa.

18. The JTC 1 Secretariat request all Subcommittees to review the SC 21
procedures for the SC 21 Maintenance Pilot Project (reference documents JTC
1 N 4352 and N 4353)  in order to evaluate the applicability of these
procedures for their Subcommittee.  Subcommittee contributions on this
topic should be submitted to the JTC 1 Secretariat no later than 1 August
1997 for consideration at the September 1997 JTC 1 Chairmen's Forum in
Ottawa. 

19.	The Ad Hoc Group welcomes the draft PR material of the ITTF regarding
Business Teams.  Noting that the text is not the final version, members of
the        
Reengineering Ad Hoc are invited to comment on the draft no later than 11
July 1997 to the leader of the Business Team on Electronic Commerce at
[email-masked].   Such comments will be used by the team
leader in cooperation with ITTF to produce the final version of the PR
material.

Appreciations

The JTC 1 Ad Hoc on JTC 1 Reengineering expresses its appreciation to:

a. The drafting committee for its timely preparation of the recommendations. 

b. Its Chairman and Secretariat for conducting a productive meeting.

c. BSI DISC for providing the meeting facilities and administrative
support.  In particular,  special thanks to Mr. David Brooks.

d. BSI DISC and its Sponsors -  Digital UK, The Open Group, ICL, NCR and
Lucent -  
for hosting the lovely dinner on Wednesday evening at Café Rouge.

---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------