Subject: Business Team on Electronic Commerce

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 13:51:41 -0600

The JTC 1 ballot to endorse the creation of a pilot Business Team on
Electronic Commerce has closed and the proposal has passed pending
resolution of a few minor comments. (Lets hope that JTC1 accepts our
proposal for a second pilot in the area of Imaging.) 

Participation in the Business Team on Electronic Commerce is open to all
organizations (including SCs, TCs, Consortia, etc.) The organizational
meeting is expected to be July 9-11, 1997 in Berlin/Germany. I have copied
the Terms of Reference below. You can see that they include areas that may
involve computer graphics, such as web based retailing.

By this posting I am asking if any SC24 NBs feel that SC24 should
participate in this Business Team. If the answer is yes, then we would need
a volunteer(s).

---
Terms of Reference for a Business Team Pilot - Electronic Commerce

In general, a business team assures:
· greater business relevance of JTC 1's standards
· a mechanism for users’ requirements to make their way into the JTC 1
process directly and quickly
· a broad range of resources (including those outside of JTC 1) to bear on
the needs of a critical business area, in particular, participation of key
players
· greater JTC 1 visibility
 
 The Electronic Commerce Business Team will assess the electronic commerce
sector standardization needs and propose necessary steps to satisfy them
through the facilitated communication and interactions between interested
parties.  It will focus on electronic transactions among individuals,
businesses, and governments.  The Team will choose, if necessary, to limit
its scope in order to meet the pilot timelines. 
 
 For Electronic Commerce, the Business Team will:
· gather the appropriate international resources to populate the Team
· define the users’ context and determine the functionality required to
meet their business expectations
· consider the impediments to international implementation with a focus on
standards needs 
· identify the standards required to progress the business implementation
of electronic commerce 
· create new work items to be forwarded to JTC 1 for approval, for
transmission to an ISO/IEC TC or, if appropriate, advance requirements
directly to the appropriate standards creation organization.  For the
purposes of this experimental activity, the Team Leader will report to JTC
1 on all recommendations emanating from the Team.
 
 Possible key players could be:
· other ISO TCs
Þ ISO TC 68
Þ ISO TC 154
· banking and other financial institutions
· credit card providers 
· mail order and similar businesses
· web-based retailers
· appropriate government agencies
· consortia/fora involved in electronic commerce such as (but not limited to)
Þ W3C
Þ E-money Council
Þ Cyberpayments Colloquium
Þ HLSG
Þ CommerceNet
 
 Method of Operation:
 The Business Team will operate with a "Leader" appointed by JTC 1. The
Leader's National Body is expected to provide the necessary administrative
support. Participation on the team is open to any and all interested
persons and organizations, and is explicitly not restricted to NB
delegations. The Team Leader shall be totally responsible for the conduct
of the pilot operation, including determining how consensus will be
developed within the Team, subject to direction, if any, from JTC 1
following his preliminary report to the JTC 1 Plenary of September 1997.
The Team is encouraged to conduct its work via electronic means, including
email, web or network based discussion groups, and teleconferences, instead
of formally scheduled meetings.  Electronic distribution of information
shall also be available to JTC 1 NBs upon request.
 
 Measurable Work Products:
· Publication of the description of the users’ context and the required
functionality
· Approved New Work Item Proposals
· Introduction of fast-track and PAS submissions, in response to identified
requirements
· Evidence of expanded participation and contributions from outside the
traditional JTC 1 community
· Generation of positive press coverage, published in both industry and
popular media
· Self assessment report of the Business Team, including working methods,
perceived value to the participants, and the ability to meet the above
stated work products

Steve Carson
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24
Computer Graphics and Image Processing
---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------