Subject: Request for support for re-engineering position

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 14:05:25 -0600

Here is the full text of the input we approved in Kista to the JTC1
reengineering ad hoc meeting to be held in London in a few weeks. I request
that each SC24 NB coordinate with their national JTC1 counterpart to insure
that there will be NB support for our proposal at the ad-hoc meeting.

- - -
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC24 N1761

Proposal for an Imaging Business Team

27 May 1997

Based on the recent JTC 1 reengineering initiatives that include a set of   
new technical directions, the business team concept and a business team   
pilot project, SC24 proposes that JTC 1 form a second pilot project in   
the area of imaging.  The purpose of this project is to initiate   
appropriate new JTC 1 work by the creation of new work item proposals,   
the selection of existing national body standards for fast track and the   
selection of publicly available specifications for PAS submission.  The   
first step will be to assess current market requirements and technology.

Over the past seven years, JTC 1 SC24 has gained considerable experience   
through the successful development of a family of compatible standards   
for computer graphics and imaging.  Some of the lessons learned that can   
be applied to a pilot business team in imaging are:

1. Both imaging and computer graphics are broadly applicable to most   
technical disciplines, including those in JTC 1 in the area of   
information technology and those in other ISO and IEC technical   
committees.

2. As the application of imaging and computer graphics to each specific   
technical discipline evolves, this leads to further refinement of   
interfaces, functional subdivisions and interchange formats.

3. There is intrinsic value in considering the integration of imaging   
with computer graphics (presentation of and interaction with   
information).

4. Imaging and computer graphics do not stand alone as independent   
technologies but benefit from aggregation and integration with other data   
types to include application-specific data.

5. In addition to a well founded supplier oriented focus on market   
requirements, development of new imaging standards must include broad   
participation from other interests including academia, research and   
development organizations, information producers, users, managers and   
government (policy makers) influences.

The approach to be used in executing this pilot project is:

1. Identify user requirements in those communities that would benefit   
from imaging standardization efforts and focus on areas with highest   
potential for user acceptance and support.

2. Identify market sectors that are willing to commit resources in   
support of standardization efforts during the development phase but more   
importantly, during the implementation phase.  These sectors may include   
remote sensing, medical, law enforcement and document imaging.

3. Identify current market activities and emerging technologies that can   
contribute to the quality and/or timeliness of standards.  One example of   
a market force is the increasing use of internet technologies.

4. Identify needed standards and initiate new JTC 1 work by the creation   
of new work item proposals, the selection of both, existing national body   
standards for fast track and publicly available specifications for PAS   
submission.

5. Include consideration of testing and validation activities at an early   
stage in all new work resulting from this pilot project.  Testing   
activities include development of plans, procedures and sample   
implementations to ensure the standard meets the requirements that   
prompted its development.

6. Include consideration of profiles as tools to maximize compliance with   
resulting standards while enabling specific implementations to meet the   
requirements of extended audiences.

The proposed schedule is:

June 1997    Reengineering ad hoc authorizes a 60-day JTC 1 letter ballot   
to establish the imaging pilot project.

September 1997   Pilot approved and work begins

Not later that June 1998  Work on the pilot is essentially complete - in   
particular, NPÕs are submitted for JTC 1 approval with aggressive   
milestones for standards completion; applications for recognition as PAS
submitters are received by JTC 1; existing standards are submitted for   
fast track processing

First 1999 JTC 1 plenary JTC 1 evaluation of the pilot, recommendation   
for next steps

SC24 proposes an Imaging Business Team Pilot be established.  SC24 is   
prepared to offer a leader for this business team and will provide the   
necessary administrative support.

Steve Carson
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24
Computer Graphics and Image Processing
---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------