Subject: ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 4628, Recommendations of the JTC 1 Ad Hoc on JTC 1 Reengineering

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 20:39:34 -0600

This document is circulated to SC24 for information.

ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 4628

Title:		Recommendations of the JTC 1 Ad Hoc on JTC 1 Reengineering, 
		7-11 April 1997 in Berlin, Germany
Source:	JTC 1 Ad Hoc on JTC 1 Reengineering

The JTC 1 Ad Hoc on JTC 1 Reengineering recommends that:

1. The JTC 1 Secretariat produce a revised final version of JTC 1 N 4621
(List of Canceled Projects) incorporating the projects listed in documents
JTC 1 N 4622 and N 4620 which still lack five participating National
Bodies.  This document is to be circulated to JTC 1 National Bodies for
information and to JTC 1 Subcommittees for immediate cancellation of the
concerned projects.  National Bodies and Subcommittees are reminded that
work can be brought into JTC 1 via either the NP or Fast Track process.

2. The JTC 1 Secretariat issue a 60-day letter ballot on the reassignment
of  ISO 2955:1983, Representation of SI and other units in systems with
limited character sets, to ISO/TC 12 (as recommended by JTC 1/SC 14 in JTC
1 N 4607).  If approved, the results of the letter ballot will be forwarded
to the ISO TMB to administer the transfer of the standard. 

3. The JTC 1 Secretariat issue a 60-day letter ballot on the reassignment
of  ISO 6709:1983, Standard representation of latitude, longitude and
altitude for geographic point locations, to ISO/TC 211 (as recommended by
JTC 1/SC 14 in JTC 1 N 4607). If approved, the results of the letter ballot
will be forwarded to the ISO TMB to administer the transfer of the standard. 

4. The JTC 1 Secretariat forward document JTC 1 N 4630, Maintenance of
Standards Related to Canceled Projects, to JTC 1 National Bodies and
Subcommittees for immediate use.

5. The JTC 1 Secretariat circulate document JTC 1 N 4627, Proposed JTC 1
Technical Directions and Common Strategic Characteristics, to JTC 1
National Bodies for a 60-day letter ballot.  Comments received on this
ballot will be considered at the June 1997 Ad Hoc meeting on JTC 1
Re-engineering in London.

6. The JTC 1 Secretariat circulate document JTC 1 N 4626, Proposal for a
JTC 1 Business Team Pilot Project on Electronic Commerce, to JTC 1 National
Bodies for a 60-day letter ballot.  Comments received on this ballot will
be considered at the June 1997 Ad Hoc meeting on JTC 1 Re-engineering in
London.

The Ad Hoc appoints Mr. Ulrich Hartmann (Germany) as the Business Team
Leader of this pilot project pending approval of the JTC 1 letter ballot on
the pilot.

7. The Strategic Planning Rapporteur update the JTC 1 Strategic Plan to
reflect the re-engineering concepts, actions and decisions once they have
been approved by JTC 1.

8. The JTC 1 Secretariat circulate document JTC 1 N 4629, Proposed Revision
of the Five-Year Review Letter Ballot, to JTC 1 for a 60-day letter ballot.
 If approved, the results of the letter ballot will be forwarded to ISO TMB
for endorsement.

9. The JTC 1 Secretariat forward document JTC 1 N 4631, Rationale and
Questions to JTC 1 National Bodies and Subcommittees Regarding JTC 1
Technical Directions and Organization, to JTC 1 Subcommittees for a
response to the questions asked.  Subcommittee responses are due to the JTC
1 Secretariat no later than 15 May 1997.  These responses will be
circulated to JTC 1 National Bodies for review and consideration when
developing their National Body positions on JTC 1 structure and
organization.  National Bodies and Subcommittees are reminded that in order
to meet the JTC 1 mandate, the re-engineering Ad Hoc must develop its final
recommendations (including those on structure  and organization) at its
June Ad Hoc meeting for approval by  JTC 1 National Bodies. 

10. The JTC 1 Secretariat forward document JTC 1 N 4632, Questions for
Consideration by SWG-GII, to SWG-GII for their use in dealing with the
question of relationships with outside organizations as well as for
consideration during the SWG-GII Round Table scheduled for July 1997.

11. The JTC 1 Secretariat request National Body recommendations on the SC
14 request to reassign ISO 7064: 1983, Check Character System, to an
appropriate JTC 1/SC or ISO/TC.  National Body recommendations on possible
reassignment should be submitted to the JTC 1 Secretariat no later than 1
June 1997 for consideration at the June 1997 Ad Hoc meeting in London.

12. SGFS report immediately following its May 1997 plenary as to the status
and viability of its work program relative to the re-engineering of  JTC 1.
 The SGFS report will be considered at the June 1997 Ad Hoc meeting on JTC
1 Re-engineering in London.

 Appreciations

The JTC 1 Ad Hoc on JTC 1 Reengineering expresses its appreciation to:

a. The drafting committee for its timely preparation of the recommendations. 

b. Its Chairman and Secretariat for conducting a successful meeting.

c. DIN for providing the meeting facilities and administrative support.  In
particular,  special thanks to Dr. Ingo Wende and Ms. Natalia Skoric.

d. Deutsche Telekom AG, Siemens AG and IBM Germany for hosting the
wonderful dinner on Wednesday evening at Spandauer Zitadellen-Schenke.  All
of the delegates had a marvelous time.

---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------