Subject: Text only JTC 1 N 4626 - ELECTRONIC COMMERCE FOR A PILOT PROJECT

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 12:47:11 -0600

(This document was circulated in three parts.)

(J1N46261)
- - -
JTC 1 N 4626

RATIONALE FOR CREATING BUSINESS TEAMS AND USING ELECTRONIC COMMERCE FOR A
PILOT PROJECT

Supplementary information to be used with the Letter Ballot on Terms of
Reference for Business Teams.

The Business Team is one of the re-engineering initiatives being taken
within JTC 1 to provide better service to our standards users while
preserving the consensus standards process.  Fast paced technology requires
new means of addressing standards needs in a complete and consistent manner
for specific application areas.  Business Teams which can quickly be
assembled and disbanded can fill this need.

A Business Team is composed of individuals who understand the business
processes for a particular industry segment.  JTC 1 will give the team its
terms of reference to ensure that all important issues are unambiguously
addressed.  Elements such as priorities, time scales and objectives need to
be covered.  Working mostly by electronic means, the Business Team will
establish a users context and identify a set of specifications for the
standards required.  A statement of these requirements will be provided to
JTC 1.  The business team will not write standards and will be disbanded
when its task is completed.

The Business Team Leader will be responsible for ensuring that the team
targets are met and that the outputs (including any new work proposals) go
to JTC 1 or elsewhere for the necessary standards work to start.  Where
standards work is identified as not within the scope of JTC 1, it is
passed, using appropriate procedures, to other standards creation
organisations or consortia.

Conducting a pilot project offers an opportunity for JTC 1 to validate the
Business Team concept and gain feedback on important re-engineering aspects
such as:
	- How the standards development process interacts with the business team
(particularly the efficiency of the transition from business team to
project drafting)
	- How to define and measure milestones
	- Whether there is a need for a detailed process description
	- How effective is the this process for identifying and creating new
standards.

As this is a new approach for JTC 1, it is the intention to conduct a pilot
using electronic commerce as the target.  Electronic commerce was selected
for the following reasons:

	Market place interest has been identified by many bodies
	There is good marketplace potential for JTC 1
	JTC 1 standards are clearly applicable
	This work is timely and there is a window of opportunity
	A unified approach is needed

Thus there is an opportunity for JTC 1 to demonstrate the advantages of
this new approach to standardization whilst meeting its international
responsibilities in the face of multiple, possibly incompatible solutions.

The Business Team approach will enable JTC 1 to use its resources
efficiently and to react in a timely manner to changing business needs.

(J1N46262)
- - -
Business Team

O The task of JTC 1 is the timely development of market-oriented standards.
 Market–orientation is given 
    by key business areas. Analysis of such areas shows they are built of
components from a broad range of 
    technologies across JTC 1 and outside of its domain.

   Therefore a new instrument is needed in JTC 1 to deal with
inter-disciplinary aspects of key business 
   areas, bringing all relevant players together.

O A primary role of the Business Team is to facilitate communication and
interactions between interested     
    parties in a particular application area, in order to assess the
standardization needs for a specific    
    business sector.

O Business Teams will engage Business, Consumer, Government and other
interests as well as traditional   
    standardization resources to:

· review business needs
· analyze these needs
· determine standardization requirements
· encourage commitment for standards creation

    for standards development in a given business application 

O The Business Team is geared to a short term life span (6-8 months),
driven by quick response and action    
    to meet the market window, with the minimum of bureaucracy but with
sufficient control.
 
O Problems to be solved by the Business Team, may be proposed by sources
either inside or outside of 
    JTC 1.
O A principle motivator for meeting commitments related to standards
creation, will be the desire of   
    participants to satisfy business requirements and market needs,
identified by the Business Team.  

BENEFITS TO BUSINESS TEAM PARTICIPANTS 

"What’s in it for me?"

Low investment, high gain

· Business: 
- Solve common business problem
- Agree direction, agree pace

· Users  (Public/Private):
- Are able to  participate when the direction is set
- Can be heard in a non technical forum

· Consortia:
- Gain commitment to their organisation by working with JTC 1
- Gain recognition of their standards in a wider audience
- Gain new products

· JTC 1:
- Increases its profile 
- as standard developer
- with WTO, etc.
- Reinforces standards as business enabler
- Attracts more participants through success, openness, etc.

(J1N46263)
 - - -
Terms of Reference for a Business Team Pilot - Electronic Commerce

In general, a business team assures:
· greater business relevance of JTC 1's standards
· a mechanism for users’ requirements to make their way into the JTC 1
process directly and quickly
· a broad range of resources (including those outside of JTC 1) to bear on
the needs of a critical business area, in particular, participation of key
players
· greater JTC 1 visibility
 
 The Electronic Commerce Business Team will assess the electronic commerce
sector standardization needs and propose necessary steps to satisfy them
through the facilitated communication and interactions between interested
parties.  It will focus on electronic transactions among individuals,
businesses, and governments.  The Team will choose, if necessary, to limit
its scope in order to meet the pilot timelines. 
 
 For Electronic Commerce, the Business Team will:
· gather the appropriate international resources to populate the Team
· define the users’ context and determine the functionality required to
meet their business expectations
· consider the impediments to international implementation with a focus on
standards needs 
· identify the standards required to progress the business implementation
of electronic commerce 
· create new work items to be forwarded to JTC 1 for approval, for
transmission to an ISO/IEC TC or, if appropriate, advance requirements
directly to the appropriate standards creation organization.  For the
purposes of this experimental activity, the Team Leader will report to JTC
1 on all recommendations emanating from the Team.
 
 Possible key players could be:
· other ISO TCs
Þ ISO TC 68
Þ ISO TC 154
· banking and other financial institutions
· credit card providers 
· mail order and similar businesses
· web-based retailers
· appropriate government agencies
· consortia/fora involved in electronic commerce such as (but not limited to)
Þ W3C
Þ E-money Council
Þ Cyberpayments Colloquium
Þ HLSG
Þ CommerceNet
 
 Method of Operation:
 The Business Team will operate with a "Leader" appointed by JTC 1. The
Leader's National Body is expected to provide the necessary administrative
support. Participation on the team is open to any and all interested
persons and organizations, and is explicitly not restricted to NB
delegations. The Team Leader shall be totally responsible for the conduct
of the pilot operation, including determining how consensus will be
developed within the Team, subject to direction, if any, from JTC 1
following his preliminary report to the JTC 1 Plenary of September 1997.
The Team is encouraged to conduct its work via electronic means, including
email, web or network based discussion groups, and teleconferences, instead
of formally scheduled meetings.  Electronic distribution of information
shall also be available to JTC 1 NBs upon request.
 
 Measurable Work Products:
· Publication of the description of the users’ context and the required
functionality
· Approved New Work Item Proposals
· Introduction of fast-track and PAS submissions, in response to identified
requirements
· Evidence of expanded participation and contributions from outside the
traditional JTC 1 community
· Generation of positive press coverage, published in both industry and
popular media
· Self assessment report of the Business Team, including working methods,
perceived value to the participants, and the ability to meet the above
stated work products
 
 Timeframe:
 JTC 1 must meet very aggressive timeframes if it wishes to play a relevant
role in the creation of electronic commerce standards. National, regional,
and international trials are occurring.  Banks currently move money through
payment clearing networks but will require special standards for public
networks which will allow electronic payments across national borders. 
 
 While only the Business Team itself can determine the business
constraints, the following timeline is suggested by JTC 1:
· April 97 - 60 day JTC 1 letter ballot to establish the Business Team and
identify the leadership
· July 97 - Pilot approved, resources identified and work program specified 
· September 97 - JTC 1 Plenary report out by the Business Team leader on
the scope and progress of the work
· Not later than Feb 98 - work on the pilot is essentially complete - in
particular, NPs are submitted for JTC 1 approval with aggressive milestones
for standards completion; applications for Recognition as PAS Submitters
are received by JTC 1; existing standards are submitted for fast-track
processing; analysis by the Business Team of its perceived value
· March 98 - end of Electronic Commerce Business Team 
· June 98 - closing report to the JTC 1 Plenary on the successes and
problems of the pilot.  The report should include the degree of impact made
on all organizations in implementing the requirements, status of the
ongoing standards work, and recommendations for operating a future
successful Business Team.

---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------