Subject: Harvesting Public Specifications

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:46:56 -0700

On December 19th, 1996  I circulated mail on this reflector regarding the
encouragement that JTC1 gave to all of its SCs to begin working
pro-actively to "harvest" public specifications for international
standardization. I have seen no responses on this reflector to that posting.

The next SC24 plenary meeting is now only a few months away and a series of
two JTC1 meetings on re-engineering are also happening in the next few
months (early April and mid June). I believe that these re-engineering
meetings will determine whether SC24 survives as a subcommittee. 

I believe that we do not have enough work in progress to justify JTC1
continuing SC24 as an independent SC. The question I am posing the SC24 NBs
is whether SC24 wishes to initiate some activities now that could lead to
new work (based on harvestable public specifications) being initiated at
our Kista plenary? At present, the only such work that I am aware of is the
potential to bring new pieces of VRML technology into ISO.

I would like to see some discussion of this issue on this reflector
regarding those public specifications that are ripe for harvesting. I would
also like to see some NBs volunteer to approach the owners of these
specifications.

- - - 
This repeats the actual text of the JTC1 resolution:

Resolution 11	PAS Transposition and Normative Referencing

JTC 1 encourages and invites its SCs/SWGs and NBs to identify candidate
PASs and actively work with the relevant potential PAS submitter to promote
these PASs within JTC 1.

JTC 1 recognizes that an open, positive attitude of its SCs and WGs towards
potential PAS submitters and their contributions is vital for the success
of the PAS process.

JTC 1 reminds its SCs that as part of the PAS process, as described in N
3582, it has offered SC counsel to PAS submitters. Therefore, JTC 1
encourages its SCs to assume, to the extent possible, an open, positive
attitude towards Recognized PAS Submitters and their potential
contributions, and requests the SCs to duly provide any counsel requested.

In addition, SCs are strongly encouraged to identify potential PAS
submitters  which could make valuable contributions to the SC work, and to
approach them pro-actively.

Recognized PAS submitters are invited to contact the appropriate national
PAS mentor or the JTC 1 chairperson in case of any difficulty encountered.

JTC 1 further encourages its subsidiary bodies to make use of normative
referencing whenever this is deemed appropriate, to bring about
market-oriented standards in a timely manner.

										Unanimous

Steve Carson
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24
Computer Graphics and Image Processing
---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------