Subject: CFP: Eurographics Workshop on Programming Paradigms in Graphics

From: Jean Stride <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Feb 97 11:56:20 EST

For information
---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From:	Philipp Slusallek, INTERNET:[email-masked]
TO:	Jean Stride, 100434,3031
DATE:	15/02/97 10:13

RE:	CFP: Eurographics Workshop on Programming Paradigms in Graphics

Sender: [email-masked]
From: Philipp Slusallek <[email-masked]>
Subject: CFP: Eurographics Workshop on Programming Paradigms in Graphics
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 11:06:34 +0100 (MEZ)

We would like to invite you to participate in this years "Eurographics
Workshop on Programming Paradigms in Graphics". The workshop will take
place September 8-9, 1997 right after Eurographics '97 in Budapest,
Hungary. You can find details in the Call for Contributions below and
on our Workshop WEB page
    http://www9.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/Misc/wppg97/wppg97.html.

DEADLINE for full paper submission is May 7, 1997.

Please also forward this CFP within your organization and to other
interested colleagues.

	Philipp Slusallek and Fahrad Arbab

===================================================================

  6th EUROGRAPHICS WORKSHOP ON PROGRAMMING PARADIGMS IN GRAPHICS

	            CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS

            Budapest, Hungary, 8-9 September, 1997

===================================================================

THEME: The steadily increasing availability of hardware and software
support for concurrent, parallel, and geographically distributed
processing presents new challenges also to programming paradigms. This
is particularly true for modern computer graphics, with its inherent
focus on interactive, low-latency, and real-time processing.

What are these challenges?  How and where do they strain or break our
existing techniques, and paradigms?  How do we extend and/or augment
our existing techniques, tools, and paradigms? Do we need to conceive
new tools and paradigms to meet these challenges? Can the current
object-oriented paradigm cope with these new challenges?

AIMS AND SCOPE: Previous Eurographics workshops in this series were
mainly focussed on exploring the advantages of different programming
paradigms for computer graphics in general. In this new workshop, we
will continue this general theme but shift our attention towards the
challenges of concurrent, parallel, and distributed processing for
graphics.

The availability of powerful, low-cost parallel systems and high-speed
networks, the phenomenal popularity of World Wide Web, the advent of
global computing, and the promise of information super-highways all
allow graphics applications to push the envelope of how computers can
impact our professional, personal, and social lives.  Concurrency,
parallelism, and distribution are key issues that become unavoidable
in this context.

The object-oriented methodology has been perceived as the most
effective approach widely used to construct computer graphics
applications.  However, shortcomings of the object-oriented
methodology have been identified is several areas, including the
conflict between strict encapsulation and the need for global
information, relations among objects, and constraint management.

Concurrent, parallel, and distributed processing is another area, the
leadership of the object-oriented methodology is challenged. What are
the weak spots of the object-oriented paradigm in this context? Can it
be augmented by adapting extensions from other paradigms, or do we
need new and better suited paradigms to cope with these new
challenges?  In this workshop, we intend to investigate the
applicability, merits, and limitations of various programming
techniques, tools, and paradigms for concurrent, parallel, and
distributed processing in computer graphics applications.

MAIN TOPICS INCLUDE (but are not limited to):

 - Paradigms:
   What are the shortcomings of the object-oriented paradigm for
   graphics programming with respect to concurrency and parallelism? How
   do we cope with this challenges? Which other paradigms offer
   better methodologies and tools? Can and should they be integrated
   with the object-oriented paradigm or do we need completely new
   paradigms?

 - Techniques:
   What are appropriate analysis, design, and implementation
   techniques for concurrent, parallel, and distributed graphics? How
   can existing graphics applications be extended for parallel and
   distributed processing?

 - Tools:
   What tools are available for the design and implementation of
   concurrent, and distributed graphics programming? How well do they
   exploit the different underlying hardware and software
   architectures?

 - Standards, Architectures, Frameworks:
   Are object-oriented standard like CORBA, OpenDoc, OLE, Premo, etc.
   appropriate answers to the requirements of concurrent and
   distributed graphics applications? Are HTTP, HTML, VRML, JAVA,
   etc. sufficient for both distributed Multimedia and general graphics
   applications on the Internet? What would be appropriate
   alternatives or extensions? How can specific architectures and
   frameworks support the development of parallel and distributed
   applications.

In this workshop series, the terms "Graphics" and "Computer Graphics"
are taken in a broad sense, to include topics such as graphics
programming, rendering, human interfaces, animation, visualization,
multimedia, geometric modeling, and virtual reality.

CONTRIBUTIONS: Authors are requested to submit full research papers
for review by the program committee by the deadline given below.  The
length should be no more than 12 pages. Please include the address of
the authors including e-mail, postal address, telephone and fax
numbers.  We prefer submissions in Postscript or PDF format sent by
email or ftp to one of the program chairs, otherwise send five copies
of the printed paper.  LaTeX macros are available via WWW (see below)
or directly from the chairs.

Shorter position papers (2-4 pages) may be accepted according to their
relevance to the workshop.  Submissions missing the deadline can only
be considered in exceptional cases and with reduced priority.

A copy of accepted papers will be distributed to the participants.  It is
the intention of the organizers to publish a selection of presented
papers.  This will either be as a collection of papers in a book, as
has happened in the past, or in a special issue of some appropriate
journal.

SCHEDULE:
     7 May, 1997:             Deadline for full paper
     1 July, 1997:            Notification of acceptance of full papers and
                              deadline for position paper for in proceedings
     1 August, 1997:          Final paper deadline and latest date for
			      position paper for participation
     8-9 September 1997:      Workshop.

MORE INFORMATION:
     Up-to-date information about this workshop can be found
     in the World Wide Web under the URL:
     http://www9.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/Misc/wppg97/wppg97.html

ORGANIZATION:
     The workshop will take place in Budapest, Hungary and is
     organized in association with EUROGRAPHICS.

     Up-to-date information about this workshop can always be found in
     the World Wide Web under the URL:
       http://www9.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/Misc/wppg97/wppg97.html

CHAIRMEN:
	Farhad Arbab		Philipp Slusallek
	CWI			University of Erlangen, IMMD 9
	P.O. Box 94079		Am Weichselgarten 9
	1090 GB Amsterdam	D-91058 Erlangen
	The Netherlands		Germany
	[email-masked]		[email-masked]

PROGRAM COMMITTEE:
	M. Beynon (UK), E. Blake (South Africa), A. Borning (USA),
	S. Cunningham (USA), P. Egbert (USA), E. Fiume (CA),
	E. Gobbetti (I), I. Herman (NL), W. Leler (USA),
	T. Priol (F), R. Veltkamp (NL), P. Wisskirchen (D)