Subject: List of JTC 1 Projects for Cancellation

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 15:07:03 -0700

This is an extract from JTC1 N4503 which was circulated by e-mail today. I
have deleted all but the SC24 projects from this list. 

The only project that is now scheduled for early termination is "WD 8651-5
GKS-94 Fortran 90". This is due to lack of broad (5 or more) NB
participation in the work.
Note that this cancellation is effective 17 March 1997 unless SC24 or some
NBs can explain that the project is listed in error.  

The question I pose to the SC24 NBs for discussion on this reflector is
whether SC24 should ask that this project not be deleted.
----

Note accompanying e-mail:
-------------------------

Attached you will find document JTC 1 N 4503, List of JTC 1 Projects for 
Cancellation.  This is the revision of JTC 1 N 4302 revised as per JTC 1 
Paris resolution 8.4.  This document is circulated to JTC 1 National Bodies 
and to SC Chairmen and Secretariats announcing the cancellation of the 
identified projects effective 17 March 1997.  Those SCs that believe that 
their projects are listed in error may so advise the JTC 1 Secretariat prior 
to 17 March 1997.  This document will also be sent via diskette 104 later 
this week.

The document itself:
--------------------
ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 4503

Title:		List of JTC 1 Projects for Cancellation

Source:	JTC 1 Secretariat

References: 	Revised Input from the SC 6 Secretariat, Revised Input from
the SC 17 Secretariat, Revised Input from the SC 18 Secretariat, Revised
Input from the SC 21 Secretariat, JTC 1 N 4458 from SC 1, JTC 1 N 4467 from
the SC 26 Chair and Secretariat, JTC 1 N 4429 from the SC 7 Secretariat,
JTC 1 N 4420 from SC 29, JTC 1 N 4417 from the SC 27 Secretariat, JTC 1 N
4358 from the SC 25 Secretariat and JTC 1 N 4459 from ITU-T

Resolution Action Taken to Prepare the Attached List

In accordance with JTC 1 Paris Plenary Resolution 8.4, JTC 1 established
the following process and schedule to implement the stop/cancel or
publication/cancellation of appropriate projects listed in document JTC 1 N
4302 revised:
·	Based on the following objective criteria, the list in N 4302 revised
will be updated and projects will be included on the list for cancellation:
			- if there are less that 5 P-members actively participating in the
project;
			-  if the project has missed the timescales for progression as set forth
in the Directives
·	Using documents available at this meeting (i.e., updated PoW reviews and
NB contributions), the JTC 1 Secretariat and Chairman will correct the list
in N 4302 revised by 15 January 1997.
·	Projects which are listed in N 4302 revised as "projects recommended for
cancellation" and which are also contained in Annex A of JTC 1 N 4459
"ITU-T comments on proposed JTC 1 reengineering", should have their status
indicated as "PUBLISH/CANCEL" in all cases in the further revision of JTC 1
N 4302 to be produced by the JTC 1 Chairman and Secretariat.
·	The revised list will be circulated to JTC 1 National Bodies and to SC
Chairmen and Secretariats announcing the cancellation of those projects
effective 17 March 1997. Those SCs that believe that their projects are
listed in error may so advise the JTC 1 Secretariat prior to 17 March 1997.  
·	The responses received will be reviewed at the 7-11 April 1997 meeting of
the JTC 1 Ad Hoc on Reengineering and final decisions will be taken.
		Decisions of the Ad Hoc will be effective 15 April 1997.

General Comment

It is important to note that when used in this document the word "cancel"
is not intended to cause published standards to be withdrawn from the ISO
database or Catalogue nor "stop/cancel" to cause standards awaiting
publication or DISs/DAMs under ballot to be "cancelled/withdrawn".  The
associated project will be removed from the Subcommittee work program, but:
the published standards will remain in the ISO database and Catalogue for
sale and will be subject to the normal 5-year review cycle; the standards
awaiting publication will be published and treated the same as published
standards; DISs/DAMs under ballot will complete the normal DIS/DAM through
publication process and will be treated the same as published standards.
For all other work in progress, including CDs/PDAMs, "stop/cancel" means
removal of the project from the Subcommittee work program and
discontinuance of further work.  If a Subcommittee feels strongly that a
cancelled project (in the development stage) should be re-instated, the
Subcommittee or National Body will be required to submit a New Work Item
Proposal for JTC 1 letter ballot.

Note: The JTC 1 procedures provide for simultaneous NP/CD letter ballot
which allows technical work to progress in the Subcommitte while the NP is
under JTC 1 letter ballot.  However, the technical work would cease in the
Subcommitte if the NP was not accepted by JTC 1. 

JTC 1 Projects for Cancellation

<major portions deleted here>

1.24..02.09	STOP/CANCEL	WD 8651-5 GKS-94 Fortran 90
1.24.03.12	COMPLETE PUBLICATION/CANCEL	9592-1/DAM 6, PHIGS Part 1/AMD 6
1.24.03.18	COMPLETE PUBLICATION/CANCEL	9592-3/DAM 4, PHIGS Part 3/AMD 4
1.24.03.19	COMPLETE PUBLICATION/CANCEL	9592-4/DAM 1, PHIGS Part 4/AMD 1
1.24.10.06.01	COMPLETE PUBLICATION /CANCEL	DIS 12089-1, IPI IIF ASN.1
1.24.10.07	COMPLETE PUBLICATION /CANCEL	ISO/IEC 12087-3/DAM 1, IPI Part
3/AMD 1
1.24.10.10	COMPLETE PUBLICATION /CANCEL	ISO/IEC 12087-2/DAM 1, IPI PIKS/AMD
1 (SC 24 ITSELF HAS RESOLVED TO CANCEL THIS PROJECT)

Steve Carson
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24
Computer Graphics and Image Processing
---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------