Subject: JTC1 Resolutions Affecting WG7

From: "Goldsmith, Ralph - (I)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 97 18:36:00 est

This email is sent primarily to my WG7 Colleagues and also to keep the 
larger SC24 membership regarding these important events.

1.  In my last email to WG7, I proposed the cancelation of  the meeting we 
had planned for February 1997 as one of the Kyoto resolutions and to 
continue working via email the items that are pending in preparation for the 
Kista meeting.  Since I did not receive any objections to the cancelation of 
the February meeting, I started working the items on the email agenda.  The 
first item was the PIKS Defects Report.  I completed the review and 
submitted the final comments to the SC24 Secretariat, as well as the 
opportunity for a final WG7 review at the comments.  At this time I am 
reviewing meeting minutes, issues, comments, resolutions and editor's 
recommendations on the PIKS AMD1; I expect to complete that action within 
the next 5 days.  After that I will start the review of the status on DIS 
12089-2.

2.  At this time, I present to you the results of the December 1996 
resolutions that came from the JTC1 meeting in Paris and that affect  WG7 
projects.

     a.  ISO/IEC JTC1 N4302 is a list of JTC1 projects proposed for 
cancellation.  This document identifies DIS 12089-1, IPI IIF ASN.1, 
12087-3/DAM1, and 12087-2/DAM1 as candidates for cancellation unless WG7 
agrees to complete them under new JTC1 rules.  The rules are:

          (1) There are at least 5 P-members actively participating in the 
project

          (2) The project must meet the timescales for progression as set 
forth in the Directives

JTC1 will circulate a revised list starting on 15 January 1997 and expects 
NB's to validate the list by 15 March 1997.

     b. ISO/IEC JTC1 N4469 is the migration plan for implementation of new 
JTC1 DIS development process.  This document identifies 1 May 1997 as a key 
date between old and new work.

          (1) Projects after 1 May 1997 will follow the new DIS development 
process

          (2) Draft International Standards and Draft Amendments circulated 
before 1 May 1997 will be processed according to the current process, i.e., 
four month DIS ballot followed by preparation of final text for publication.

          (3) Committee Drafts may be processed under the current process, 
i.e., advancement to four month DIS ballot followed by preparation of final 
text for publication, on condition that they receive necessary substantial 
support for processing at DIS prior to 1 May 1997 and the texts are received 
by ITTF before 1 September 1997.  If CD's do not receive the required 
substantial support they shall be processed according to the new DIS 
Development process, i.e., start again for a CD ballot or for a "Final" CD 
ballot.  SC's are authorized to prepare and submit "Final" CD starting on 1 
January 1997.

          (4) Working Drafts on 1 May 1997 will be processed according to 
the new process.

          (5) International Standardized Profiles and Fast-track documents 
shall continue being processed according to the current procedures.

3.  Here are my proposals regarding the JTC1 resolutions:

     a.  That WG7 continue work towards completion of DIS 12089-1, IPI IIF 
ASN.1, 12087-3/DAM1, and 12087-2/DAM.  Rationale: the effort invested to 
date by WG7, the Kyoto resolutions, and the ability to meet timescales 
warrant completion of the documents.

     b. That WG7 accelerate the processing of the CD 12087-5 BIIF ballot and 
determine if there is necessary substantial support for starting the DIS 
ballot prior to 1 May 1997.  Rationale: the Kyoto resolutions allow WG7 to 
process CD ballot comments and proceed to DIS level, if we wait until Kista 
then we will have to submit the results for a "Final" CD ballot according to 
the new JTC1 DIS development process, and the schedule delay may not be 
warranted if all comments are resolved satisfactorily.  In order to 
determine if BIIF will have the quality to proceed to the DIS level and if 
there will be necessary substantial support, I have asked the BIIF editor to 
conduct an editing meeting shortly after the ballot closes, the comments are 
distributed to WG7 members, and with some time available to do a DIS 
distribution prior to 1 May 1997 if the members agree.   Bob Garneau, BIIF 
editor, has selected 15-18 April 1997 for this meeting and has coordinated 
with Heimo Muller-Selich for the location to be in Vienna.  Heimo has 
prepared an email package with the meeting and other important information. 
 I will forward that email via the WG7 email reflector.

     c. Based on the JTC1 resolutions and the planned BIIF editing meeting, 
there is a need to review the WG7 agenda for Kista and make any necessary 
changes.  I will send a separate email regarding the Kista agenda.

4.  I solicit your responses regarding the contents of this email; please 
send the responses directly to me or to the WG7 reflector.

Thank you for your participation and I wish you all a good day.

Ralph.