Subject: ELECTRONIC DOCUMENT TIPS & TECHNIQUES GUIDE

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 12:18:50 -0700

This is circulated to SC24 for comment back to The SC24 Chair and Secretary
by 24 January 1997. A version was distributed as a MS Word document on disk
that kept the revisions as markup. The version below was created from that
one by accepting all revisions. If anyone wishes a copy of the original in
MS Word format, I can furnish one by e-mail.
----

JTC1N4267
ELECTRONIC DOCUMENT TIPS & TECHNIQUES GUIDE - Version 4.0
Status of this version:	The recommendations of the JTC1 ad-hoc group
meeting on Strategy & Implementation of Information Technology held in
London 30 Sep. - 2 Oct. 1996 requested the editor of the Tips & Techniques
Guide to produce a revised version of JTC1 N 4185 taking into account the
instructions to the editor contained in JTC 1 N 4241, Attachment 2. This
document is now forwarded to JTC1 National Bodies and Subcommittees for
study and comment into the JTC1 meeting in Paris, 10-13 December 1996.
Version 3 of this document (JTC1 N 4185), included, as Annex A, the then
latest available version of a substantial contribution from CEN/CENELEC
sources setting out techniques to be used in the preparation of WordPerfect
5.x documents that would increase the likelihood of a document being
converted to Word 2 and/or Word 6 without loss of information. The Tips &
Techniques Editor is currently trying to locate the latest version of this
document and will make it available to JTC1 in due course. Meanwhile,
readers are referred to Annex A to JTC1 N 4185 if they wish to make
reference to the previous version.
1. Scope
This "Electronic Document Tips & Techniques Guide" has been developed as an
aid to those involved in the electronic document distribution activities
within JTC1 and its subcommittees in an attempt to minimize the impact of
problems experienced in the process. This document will exist as  JTC1
Standing Document (SD) for the information and advice of all parties
involved in the electronic document activities of JTC1  Any participant
can, and is encouraged to, contribute tips and information. The information
contained herein is furnished on a "best efforts" basis. Any errors or
omissions are regretted. Where reference is made to a product or name to
which copyright or a trade mark applies, the appropriate reference, where
known, is made on the first occurrence of that term in the text of this
document.
2. References
· ISO/IEC JTC1 N4028 : Contribution from the JTC1 Secretariat Staff on
Document Classification/Type and Sample Templates, March 1996
(Classifications adopted with modification by JTC1 in Resolution 32A of the
March 1996 JTC1 Sydney meeting).
· ISO/IEC JTC1 N4246: Revised JTC1 Policy on Electronic Document
Distribution, October 1996. (for review and comment prior to the JTC1
December 1996 Paris plenary meeting).
· ISO/IEC JTC1 N4321: Proposed Table of Recommended File Formats (as
authorized by Rec. Policy 2 of the JTC1 ad-hoc group meeting on Strategy &
Implementation of Information Technology held in London 30 Sep. - 2 Oct. 1996)
3. Definitions
3.1.1 platform	a particular computer environment for which a specific
version of software is required (e.g. 		IBMä Personal Computer (PC), Apple
Macintoshä, Unixä, etc.)
4. Abbreviations

	IPS	Internet Protocol Suite
	PDF	Portable Document Formatä
	RTF	Rich Text Format
5. General Considerations for Electronic Document Distribution
5.1 Minimizing change in the distribution process
In order to minimize change in the distribution process and thus increase
the chances of error-free distribution of documents, the following aspects
should be observed:
a) Submit the document in the word processing package, platform and release
version in which it was originally prepared, provided that the format is
one of the permitted formats.
b) When submission in another platform, release or word-processing package
is necessary, then minimize the number of such changes and attempt to make
them in the following order of preference:
· Change the computer platform whilst keeping the word processor and
equivalent release level the same
· Change the release version of the word processor package
· Change the word processor package
c) Where possible, submit the document using one of the provided templates
(Word)/ styles (Word Perfect). For many document types, a suitable template
or sample document is to be found in JTC 1 N 4028.
In instances where a sample document is insufficient, change can be
minimized by maintaining the original document in the form submitted by the
originator and generating a separate cover page at the secretariat. To
assist in this process, the document originator should supply their own
template/style with the document. File naming considerations for this
approach are documented in 4.4.2 of ISO/IEC JTC1 N4054: JTC1 Policy on
Electronic Document Distribution, March 1996. Several examples, covering
both simple and complicated cases, are contained in Annex B to JTC 1 N
4054. It is important to note that the ability to leave the submitter’s
document unchanged will often outweigh the disadvantage of a document being
a composite of more than one file.
5.2 Information to be provided by the originator of a document
Document originators should provide any relevant information they consider
might be useful to the recipient of a document in order to enhance the
recipient's chances of viewing the document in the way intended by the
originator. Examples of information that might be of value to the recipient
includes:
a) Word processing package and version used for creation of the document
(e.g. Microsoft Word for Macintosh Version 5.1)
b) Operating system and version
c) Hardware platform
d) Graphics usage
e) Language version, if more than one involved.
This information should be added to the cover sheet of the document.
Editor's note: 	Although the cover page placement was the agreement at the
London meeting, JTC1 may wish to reconsider this proposal in the light of
the desire to limit the cover page information so that it will fit readily
into both human- and machine-readable indexes. Perhaps the very first
paragraph or page of the document could contain this type of undoubtedly
useful information. 
5.3 Font Guidance
There are many factors which result in discrepancies from the originator's
layout being experienced by a receiver of a document. One contributory
factor is the occurrence of font substitution in the recipient’s machine
environment. Font substitution results in different kerning and vertical
spacing characteristics being used which upsets the original document
format. In order to limit the occurrence of this phenomenon, it is
recommended wherever possible, that the usage of fonts  be limited  to
those shown in the table below:

Font Type	Apple Macintosh ä  and other environments 1	Microsoft Windows ä
environment
Non-serif	ITC Helvetica	Arial ä TT (TrueTypeä)
Serif	ITC Times Roman	Times New Roman TT
Fixed pitch font	Courier	Courier New TT

Note 1.	Other environments means any environment where Adobe Type Managerä
(for example IBM PC/DOSä or equivalent) or Apple TrueType fonts are used.
 
It is recognized that observation of this recommendation may not always be
possible in complex documents with specific font requirements (e.g. use of
ASN.1 or test notations).

5.4 Page-size considerations
Adherence to the common printable area of A4 and 8.5" x 11".defined in
Annex A of ISO/IEC JTC1 N4054: JTC1 Policy on Electronic Document
Distribution will reduce, but not necessarily eliminate, difficulties
caused by the use of different paper sizes in North America from the ISO
216 standard sizes elsewhere. Particular attention needs to be paid to page
layout in landscape format to ensure that the common area is utilized.
Particular care needs to be taken in the preparation of documents which
require both portrait and landscape orientation. In order not to
inconvenience recipients who may have widely different printing
environments, the use of separate sections in a document for each
orientation should be utilized. If, for some reason, this can not be
accomplished, consideration should be given to making the parts of the
document with separate orientations into separate documents. 
6. Graphics
As defined in ISO/IEC JTC1 N4054: JTC1 Policy on Electronic Document
Distribution, March 1996 draft, simple graphics may be embedded in
revisable documents provided they are editable by the graphics applications
of the accepted word processing packages. For other graphics the following
approach should be considered: 
In general, figures in documents (of certain types, especially developing
standards) should be developed as separate files, using whatever
application software is available and appropriate for the task.
Then, final figures should be converted into files using ISO/IEC10918-1
(JPEG).  Finally, the individual files are inserted into the word
processing document at the appropriate points using, for example, Word's
JPEG filter.  
There are several reasons for this approach.  
a) Most commercial publication firms prefer separate text and figures
files.  This also can ease the conversion of the document to other formats. 
b) There is a wide variety of application software for generating graphical
figures.  This approach allows the most appropriate software to be used for
each figure, and yet requires that the figures in the final deliverable
form will not require support of more than one standard file format. It
must be emphasized that JPEG files can be very compact representations of
bitmaps, but are still bitmaps.  So the original files in the native format
of the production application should be kept for future maintenance editing.  
c)  The figures and the text document can be worked by different editors in
parallel.  Having text place-holders in the document instead of the
inserted figures can make the text editing task easier, since the file is
smaller and graphics do not need to be rendered.  The figures can be
inserted only when a draft must be presented for consideration.
(There is a possibility of using other file formats during the transition:
TIFF and GIF and EPSF are generally acceptable.)
Editor's Note:	JTC 1 N 4055 Attachment 2, item 8, requests enhanced
guidance on graphics usage. Contributions are sought.
7. Word Processor Considerations
7.1 Rich Text Format (RTF) considerations
RTF is the format of choice as defined in ISO/IEC JTC1 N 4054: JTC1 Policy
on Electronic Document Distribution, March 1996 draft. Care should be taken
to ensure that the content of the document is such that fidelity of
transfer can be expected when the document is transferred in RTF form. If
the document contains aspects which are unlikely to be transferred with
integrity in RTF, then distribution in a permissible word-processor should
be considered. Examples of technical aspects which may not be transferred
with integrity in RTF are:
a) The use of revision marking such as the strike-out and underline
approach for deleted and inserted text respectively. The strikeout and
underlining may be lost in RTF, rendering the document unreadable.
b) The use of other than trivial graphics. For guidance see the section on
Graphics.
Another aspect to be aware of when RTF is used as a transfer format is the
possibility of losing space characters in the text. Many gateways, usually
for performance reasons, are configured so that trailing blanks (i.e. space
characters) at the end of each line are treated as nulls and stripped off
before forwarding. This has no effect on transfer of ordinary ISO 646 data
streams but can cause the loss of space characters between words in RTF
data streams. As RTF data streams are a composite of control and text
characters, the omitted spaces may occur anywhere in the document. If a
user frequently experiences this phenomenon, it is likely that the source
of the difficulty is close to that user (e.g. at the user’s gateway) and it
may be possible to arrange for the option of stripping trailing blanks to
be suppressed.
Since RTF can be processed by many word processors, it is highly desirable
to avoid the use of features which may not translate directly in another
(or possibly the same) word processor environment. Examples of such
features are:
a) The use of printer's quotes (known as smart quotes in Microsoft Word)
b) Bullets, en- and em-dashes
c) The Symbol character set
7.2 Microsoft Wordä specific section 
7.2.1 General Word considerations
The following are areas which may affect the ability to reproduce a
document with content and layout fidelity: 
a) When moving between different platforms, font substitution may take
place. Since this may result in the substitution of a font with different
kerning characteristics, reformatting and re-pagination may well take
place. This is particularly true when Macintosh ä fonts such as New York
and Monaco are present in the incoming document. Word set-up can be varied
to select a more appropriate font.
b) Similar to font substitution, style formatting alterations may take
place. A typical problem is the substitution of 18-point for the "spacing
before" paragraph attribute instead of the more typical settings of
"single-space", zero point, or a point size equal to the point size being
used in the paragraph. A global change to the document will help.
c) Submitters should try, wherever possible, to limit the size of an object
such as a table or a diagram to a size which is equal to or less than the
size of the common printable area of A4 and 8.5" x 11". The dimensions of
this area are defined in ISO/IEC JTC1 N4054: JTC1 Policy on Electronic
Document Distribution, March 1996 draft. It is important to note that the
sensitivity of word processors to changes in a document is such that
changes of as little as 0.3mm can be sufficient to cause re-pagination of
the document. Attempts to keep within the common printable area may
therefore not be sufficient to prevent re-pagination taking place. If it is
deemed to be of great importance to maintain the same pagination over
different paper sizes, then consideration should be given to using the PDF
file format as specified in 4.1 of JTC 1 N 4054.
7.2.2 Word for the Macintosh 5.1 considerations
Preparers of documents using Word for the Macintosh 5.1 should pay specific
attention to the following points in order to increase the probability of
trouble-free document distribution to other environments.
a) Word for the Macintosh 5.1 contains a filter which enables pictures
generated on a MAC to be saved in PC Word format. The equivalent filter is
not present in Word for Windows 2 or Word 6 in a PC Windows environment.
Accordingly MAC Word 5.1 documents containing MACDRAW graphics should be
saved as Word for Windows documents before attempting to export them to a
PC environment.
b) Fonts used in drawing objects may not be preserved when moving from a
MAC to a PC platform. Although it may be possible to edit the drawing and
change the fonts, doing so on a PC may cause links to be lost. This
difficulty can be minimized by a judicious choice of fonts at drawing
creation time (see Section 5.3). There is a Truetype (TT) font for the MAC
which is identical (from an identifier standpoint) to the Windows fonts
(e.g. Arial TT). The easiest way of ensuring, in a MAC environment, that
font conversion problems are minimized is to use the MAC version of the
Windows fonts. These fonts are distributed with PowerPointä, but may also
be purchased separately.
c) If conversion cannot be avoided, then the non-graphics fonts convert as
defined in Section 5.3, but the fonts in pictures convert to printer fonts
which may well cause editing difficulties where Adobe Type Manager is not
used. Printing difficulties may also occur where the printer fonts
(PostScript Type 1 or 2) are not available.
 7.3 WordPerfect ä specific section
Annex A contains a draft of a report generated by the CEN/CENELEC AGC
Project Team 1, entitled "Originating documents: Keep it simple". When
completed, it is the aim of he CEN/CENELEC AGC group to submit the final
document into the ISO/IEC process via the ITSCG. The latest draft (March
1996) is included for information.
The aim of this guide is to provide recommendations on the preparation of
documents intended to be used on different word processors. Primarily it
applies to documents created in WordPerfect 5.x (5.1, 5.2 or 5.2+) and
imported into Word 2 and Word 6. This guide has four main sections covering: 
a) text attributes;
b) tables;
c) formulae;
d) graphics.
There are comprehensive tables at the end of the document which set out the
character sets which can be successfully translated from and to WordPerfect
and Word. These common sets cover ASCII, Multinational 1 & 2, Box Drawing,
Iconic Symbols, Math/Scientific Basic and Extension sets and Greek characters.
The annex gives recommendations that should increase the likelihood of a
document being converted from WordPerfect 5.x to Word 2 and Word 6 without
loss of information and with the presentation preserved as far as possible
and with the format preserved as far as possible. Many of the general
observations in the areas of fonts, tables and margin and tab settings are
also useful in other word-processing environments.
7.4 Text format considerations
When documents are intended to be distributed in text format, particular
attention should be paid to the following considerations:
a) Preservation of layout may mean that the text should be saved with line
breaks to prevent wrapping from destroying the layout
b) Tab characters may not be preserved with fidelity
c) Quote marks and lists should utilize ordinary characters available in
the intended character set
8. Page Image Considerations
8.1 Portable Document Format (PDF)ä specific section
8.2 Acrobat ä specific section
Adobeä Acrobatä software permits  access to documents in their original
form, independent of computer platform. With the Acrobat Reader, it is
possible to view, navigate, print and present any Portable Document Format
(PDF) file.
Acrobat Reader is distributed as a no-charge, licensed product and the
latest version (2.1 at time of writing), maybe accessed from the Adobe
homepage on the World-Wide-Web at http://www.adobe.com
It is permissible to re-distribute the Acrobat Reader program provided that
the Read-Me file containing the license agreement is also re-distributed.
The Read Me file contains installation instructions and product information
for the Acrobat Reader program. There is also an On-line Guide (help_r.pdf)
which provides essential information to help a user to  begin using Acrobat
Reader 2.1.
If redistributing Acrobat Reader, users should place the Read Me file
standalone in the directory with the acroread.exe file to assist the end
user with installation of the program. This file contains the following
topics:
· New features in Acrobat Reader 2.1
· Installing Acrobat Reader
· System requirements
· Using the Weblink tool with Acrobat Reader
· Known Problems
· Creating your own PDF documents
· Technical support
· Electronic End User License Agreement
It should be noted that the ability to create PDF documents (in contrast to
viewing and printing) requires the use of other at-a-charge software
available from Adobe Systems Inc. More information can be found on the
Adobe homepage at http://www.adobe.com
9. Compression and encoding
9.1 General
Compression may be used on diskettes in order to reduce the amount of space
needed. Both compression and encoding may be employed in on-line
transmission and encoding may well have to be utilized when sending
documents in a binary format such as Word or WordPerfect documents. These
considerations apply to documents allowable as the E form (e-mail) method
of transmission as defined in ISO/IEC JTC1 N4054: JTC1 Policy on Electronic
Document Distribution, March 1996.
9.2 Recommended Compression/ De-Compression approach
The recommended Compression/ De-Compression mechanism is to use PKZIPä or
PKZIP-compatible software. An uncompressed file or message should state
which files are compressed and to indicate if any optional aspects of PKZIP
have been used.
9.3 Encoding techniques
When electronic document transfer takes place using an Internet Protocol
Suite (IPS) software stack, the recommended encoding technique is to use
UUENCODEä and UUDECODE or compatible products. Many e-mail products enable
easy encoding in UUENCODE and automatic de-coding on receipt (e.g. Eudoraä
by Qualcomm Inc. and Microsoft Mail by Microsoft Inc.). A number of
gateways are not capable of associating more than one attachment with a
message, so it is desirable to limit the number of attachments to one.
Similarly, care should be taken by a document originator to test whether a
file is actually sent as an attachment to a message or whether embedding
within the message takes place. This avoids the recipient looking for
non-existent attachments.
9.4 Useful software for encoding/decoding
The following software packages, in addition to those mentioned above, have
been found to be of use for encoding/decoding in a Windows environment.
9.4.1 Wincodeä
Wincode encodes and decodes files in the following formats:
a) UUENCODING
b) XXENCODING, which can be of particular value when national characters
are used in Latin character sets
c) Mime Base 64
d) Binhex, or
e) User-defined
Wincode can also  be customized to link to and from PKZIP/UNZIP software.
The latest known version of this freeware package is 2.6.1. The on-line
help file is available at a charge. For further information contact:
Snappy_Inc. at [email-masked]

9.4.2 WinZipä
WinZip will zip and unzip files in the usual PKZIP form but also in LZH and
ARJ formats. It is available in 16 or 32-bit versions (latest known is 6.2)
and more information is available from the WinZip home page:
http://www.winzip.com.
The mail address is Nico Mak Computing, Inc., P.O. Box 919, Bristol, CT
06011, U.S.A..
10. National considerations
Editors in countries with national alphabetical extenders should be aware
of how this might impact the JTC1 distribution and filing of the documents
in electronic form.
When using national versions of word processing software in fixed set
layouts, etc. text in the national language could be passed on, for
instance, in headers or footers.
Document originators should also may attention to whether the text
preparation software uses any national characters as control characters,
etc. as their use can produce unexpected formatting results.
11. Acknowledgements
ä	Acrobat is a trademark of Adobe Systems Inc.
ä	Adobe is a trademark of Adobe Systems Inc. 
ä	Eudoraä is a trademark of  the University of Illinois Board of Trustees,
licensed to Qualcomm Inc.
ä	IBM is a trademark of the IBM Corporation
ä	Microsoft Word is a trademark of the Microsoft Corp.
ä	Macintosh is a trademark of the Apple Corp.
ä	PKZIP is a trademark of PKWARE Inc.
ä	Portable Document Format (PDF) is a trademark of Adobe Systems Inc.
ä	PostScript is a trademark of Adobe Systems Inc.
ä	PowerPoint is a trademark of the Microsoft Corp.
ä	TrueType is a trademark of the Apple Corp.
ä	Unix is a trademark of X/Open Corporation.
ä	UUENCODE is a trademark of . 
ä	Wincode is a trademark of Snappy_Inc
ä	Windows is a trademark of the Microsoft Corp.
ä	WINZIP is a trademark of Nico Mak Computing, Inc.
ä	WordPerfect is a trademark of Novell Inc.
 Annex A to JTC1 N ttv4 Tips & Techniques Version 4

Originating documents: Keep it simple!
CEN/CENELEC AGC Project team 1
March 1996 - Edition 2

Version 3 of this document (JTC1 N 4185), included, as Annex A, the then
latest available version of a substantial contribution from CEN/CENELEC
sources setting out techniques to be used in the preparation of WordPerfect
5.x documents that would increase the likelihood of a document being
converted to Word 2 and/or Word 6 without loss of information. The Tips &
Techniques Editor is currently trying to locate the latest version of this
document and will make it available to JTC1 in due course. Meanwhile,
readers are referred to Annex A to JTC1 N 4185 if they wish to make
reference to the previous version.

Steve Carson
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC24
Computer Graphics and Image Processing
---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------