Subject: Revised JTC 1 Policy on Electronic Document Distribution

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 12:18:40 -0700

This is circulated to SC24 for comment back to The SC24 Chair and Secretary
by 24 January 1997:
----
ISO/IEC JTC 1                                                         
Information Technology                                                

ISO/IEC  JTC 1 N 4246 revised                 

DATE:  1996.12.20     

REPLACES                                     

DOC TYPE:
Other document                                                        

TITLE:
Revised JTC 1 Policy on Electronic Document Distribution              

SOURCE:
Document Editor                                                       

PROJECT:                   

STATUS:
This document is circulated to JTC 1 National Bodies and SCs for review and   
comemnt by 31 January 1997.  Comments received will be considered at  
the 25-27 Feb. 1997 Ad Hoc meeting in Washington, DC.                 

ACTION ID:  ACT 

DUE DATE:  1997.01.31

DISTRIBUTION:  P and L Members                                             

MEDIUM:  D

DISKETTE NO.:  98        

NO. OF PAGES:  31        

Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1, American National Standards Institute, 11 
West 42nd Street, New York, NY  10036; Telephone:  1 212 642 4932;    
Facsimile:  1 212 398 0023; Email:  [email-masked]                 

---
ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 4246Rev

JTC 1 Policy on Electronic Document Distribution

 1	Scope

The purpose of this document is to define the electronic formatting
practices that shall be used for communications between the ISO/IEC JTC 1
Secretariat and the JTC 1 National Bodies, between the JTC 1 Secretariat
and its directly reporting subsidiary bodies (e.g., JTC 1 Subcommittees
(SCs) and Special Working Groups), and between the JTC 1/SC Secretariats
and the JTC 1/SC National Bodies.

This document shall be used in conjunction with the ISO/IEC JTC 1
Directives (current edition) and in a manner that is consistent with the
policies and procedures of the ISO Central Secretariat and the IEC Central
Office.  National laws and current ISO/IEC policies regarding copyright and
intellectual property rights shall be respected. 

Additional document references for Electronic Document Distribution within
JTC 1 are listed in Annex C.

Excluded from the scope of this document are any procedures or practices
for communications and document distribution policies below the SC level .

2	Media

Documents shall be distributed on 90 mm (3 1/2") high density (1,44 MB)
flexible disk cartridges (diskettes).   Other media may be required on an
exceptional basis.

3	Formatting and Filing System

The media formatting and filing system used shall be compatible with the
DOS 5.0 and higher operating systems.

It is the responsibility of both the source and the recipient to verify
that diskettes are virus-free.

4	Document Preparation 
	and Distribution

4.1	File Formats
The choice of the file format shall be a function of the type of document
being distributed (i.e., revisable or non-revisable text) , or any special
needs (e.g., graphics, test suites, use of tables etc.).

The following file formats are acceptable :

·	Microsoft Wordª Version 2.0 or higher;
·	WordPerfectª Version 5.1 or higher.
·	Plain DOS Text file, encoded in ISO/IEC 8859-1 
·	Portable Document Format (PDF)ª;
·	Machine Processable (Table and Tree Combined Notation (TTCN));
·	Rich Text Format (RTF)
·	Hypertext Markup Language (HTML)

4.2	Graphics

Simple graphics embedded in revisable documents should be editable by the
graphics application of the accepted word processing packages.  PDFª should
be used for documents with complex embedded graphics.  When appropriate,
the graphic(s) may be circulated as a separate file in the directory.
Documents containing graphics not available in an acceptable electronic
format should be distributed in paper format.

4.3	Document Layout

Annex A of this document defines the common  areas for both North American
paper (8 1/2" x 11") and A4 paper.  While the establishment of a common
text area does not fully address difficulties arising from multiple paper
sizes, it will fulfill compliance to ISO 216:1975 (Writing paper and
certain classes of printed matter -- Trimmed sizes -- A and B series).  Use
of the common text area in conjunction with the PDFª file format should
ensure the integrity of document layout.

Committees shall make use of the ISO/IEC Forms supplied by the JTC 1
Secretariat.  Technical editors will also be encouraged to make use of the
standards format templates currently being developed by the ISO Central
Secretariat and the IEC Central Office.

4.4	Directory Structure

4.4.1	Sub-directories	

Sub-directories should be created for each document comprising more than
one file. In order to prevent introduction of errors into technical
documents (e.g., through conversion which may lead to font changes, page
renumbering, etc.), separate files shall be created for cover sheets,
ballot forms and explanatory reports.  The Secretariat shall use discretion
to determine if the cover sheet is directly attached to administrative
documents. 

The directory name shall have no more than eight characters mnemonic using
the format YYNXXXX where YY is the originating committee (J1 for JTC 1; 07
for SC 7, etc.) and NXXXX is the document "N" number.

4.4.2	File Naming Schema

Each file name shall have no more than eight characters mnemonic. Documents
shall be named using the format YYNXXXXa.sss where YY is the originating
committee (J1 for JTC 1; 07 for SC 7, etc.); "NXXXX" is the document "N"
number; "a" identifies specific files (C for "Cover Sheet"; B for "Ballot
Form",  T for "Ballot Text" and E for "Explanatory Report) and ".sss" is
the software identifier.    

If a document replaces an earlier document a new number shall be assigned
(i.e., "N 346 Revised" and "YYNXXXXr.sss" are not permitted.)

If a document number is over 9999, "NXXXX" indicates the last four digits
of the document number.

In those instances where the document is stored in multiple files (i.e.,
annexes, graphics, etc.), those file names shall be named using the format
"YYNXXXXz.sss" where "YY" is the originating committee ("J1" for JTC 1;
"07" for SC 7, etc.); "NXXXX" is the document "N" number; and "z" is serial
number of the multiple files (1 for the first file in the series; 2 for the
second; etc.); and ".sss" is the software identifier.

The Read-Me files shall contain descriptions for multiple files.   Annex B
of this document provides examples of valid file names.

4.4.3	Application Software Naming Schema

Each file name shall contain a suffix (.sss) identifying the software type: 

·	Rich Text Format			.rtf
·	Microsoft Word™ 			.doc
·	WordPerfect™ 			.wp
·	DOS Text File 			.txt
·	Portable Document Format™	.pdf
·	TTCN				.mp

4.4.4	"Human Readable" Read-Me File

Each sequential diskette shall include a non-compressed DOS text file (ISO
8859-1 ) which will serve as a directory for the disk.  This file shall be
named "YYRXXX.txt" were "YY" is the originating committee, "R "is
"Read-Me", and "XXX" is the sequential diskette serial number.  This
Read-Me file, when viewed or printed, shall resemble a document transmittal
letter indicating: 

1.	committee ("J1" for JTC 1; "07" for SC 7)
2.	document number (except "N")
3.	backward pointer (i.e., "Replaces N 346")
4.	document type5*
5.	date assigned ("CCYY-MM-DD")
6.	document title
7.	due date (if applicable)
8.	approximate number of pages in document
9.	diskette serial number
10.	source
11.	project number
12.	status (brief description)
13.	action identifier*
14.	medium (paper; diskette, email, etc.)

The line length of any field shall not exceed 75 characters.

This file should also be sent as an email message to the direct electronic
distribution list described in Section 6.1 of this document6.

Circulation of this file does not preclude the need for an entire document
register to be issued as per the ISO/IEC JTC 1 Directives.

4.4.5	Downloadable Read-Me File

Each sequential diskette shall also include a non-compressed DOS text file
(ISO 8859-1) suitable for downloading into National Body document tracking
databases.   This file shall be named "YYDXXX.txt" were "YY" is the
originating committee, "D" is "Downloadable", and "XXX" is the diskette
serial number (see Clause 4.5).   This shall be a tab-delimited file
containing the same fields identified in Clause 4.4.4.

NOTE:   Further information regarding file format (including field size and
record separators) will be provided by the JTC 1 Secretariat staff.

4.5	Labeling and Packaging

Each diskette shall be clearly labeled with the following information:

1.	committee
2.	date of the mailing;
3.	sequential diskette serial number (i.e., Disk 001); 
4.	document numbers found on the diskette (e.g.,  "N 17, 19, 21"; "N
25-30"; or "Documents in the range of N 100-150").

All diskettes shall be mailed in a rigid or suitably padded envelope.

5.	Compression Utilities

Compression may be used if so agreed by the recipients of the diskette
distribution.  When compression is used,  it shall be compatible with PKZIP™.

6.	Direct Electronic Distribution

Secretariats are requested to note the planned future phases of JTC 1's
strategy for implementation of  information technology and to investigate
options for moving toward direct electronic distribution.

6.1	Email Lists

Each Secretariat shall establish a list of electronic mail (Email)
addresses that replicates the committee’s formal distribution list as
defined in Section 8.3 of the ISO/IEC JTC 1 Directives (i.e. the email list
includes Participating (P) and Liaison (L) members, the JTC 1 Secretariat
and the ITTF, as well as the appropriate committee officers).   Any member
that does not have an email address may be listed with a facsimile number.   

In some instances, and only upon written confirmation of the P- or
L-member, responsibility for receipt and distribution of documents may be
delegated to the member’s Head of Delegation or other identified expert.

Secretariats may establish a separate distribution list including
additional addresses (i.e., individual experts, etc.) for the exchange of
less formal documents.

6.2	Encoding Utilities

In some cases, encoding may be required for the transmission of Email
messages.  When agreed by the recipients of the distribution, UUENCODING™
shall be used.7

It may be necessary in the future to transition from UUENCODING™ to MIME
encoding. 

6.3	Electronic Balloting

Ballot forms should be returned to committee secretariats in electronic
format on diskette or via Email.  It is not necessary to return the
balloting form distributed by the Secretariat as long as all relevant
fields are covered in the balloting response.

As a temporary procedure, to ensure fidelity when a ballot is cast via
Email, an electronic acknowledgment of the vote shall be sent by the
Secretariat.
 
 Annex A
Text Area for 
A4 and North American Paper Sizes

Paper sizes 	

A4			210 mm wide, 297 mm high
North American	216 mm wide, 279 mm high
			(8 1/2" wide, 11" high)

MAXIMUM common text area for each paper size	

183mm wide, 262 mm high
(7.08" wide, 10.24" high)

Margins for placing a common text area on an A4 page

Top		10 mm
Bottom		28 mm
Left		20 mm
Right		10 mm

Margins for placing a common text area on a North American page

Top		10 mm
Bottom		10 mm
Left		20 mm
Right		17 mm

Annex BExamples of Valid File Names

	06N8888			Directory

		06N8888.rtf		SC 6 N 8888 (in Rich Text Format (RTF))
		06N8888C.rtf		Cover sheet for SC 6 N 8888 (in RTF)
		06N8888E.rtf		Explanatory report for SC 6 N 8888 (in RTF)
		06N88881.doc		Annex A to SC 6 N 8888 (in Microsoft Word™)
		06N88882.doc		Annex B to SC 6 N 8888 (in Microsoft Word™)
		06N88883.doc		Annex C to SC 6 N 8888 (in Microsoft Word™)
		06N88884.doc		Annex D to SC 6 N 8888 (in Microsoft Word™)

	18N9999			Directory

		18N9999.rtf		SC 18 N 9999 (in RTF)
		18N9999C.rtf		Cover sheet for SC 18 N 9999 (in RTF)
		18N9999E.rtf		Explanatory report for SC 18 N 9999 (in RTF)
		18N99991.doc		Pages 1-50 of SC 18 N 9999 (in Microsoft Word™)
		18N99992.txt		Pages 51-75 of SC 18 N 9999 (in text)

	21N0000		Directory

		21N0000.txt		SC 21 N 10,000 (in text)
		21N0000B.doc		Ballot form for SC 21 N 10,000 (in Microsoft Word™)
		21N0000C.doc		Cover sheet for SC 21 N 10,000 (in Microsoft Word™)

	27N1111		Directory

		27N1111C.wp		Cover sheet for SC 27 N 1111 (in WordPerfect™)
		27N11111.wp		Pages 1-40 for SC 27 N 1111 (in WordPerfect™)
		27N11112.wp		Annex A-C for SC 27 N 1111 (in WordPerfect™)

	J1N2222.rtf			JTC 1 N 2222, including cover sheet (in RTF)

 Annex C
Related Documentation for Electronic Document Distribution

JTC 1 N 3721 Revised 	- Strategy Recommendations from ISO/IEC JTC 1 ad hoc
on IT  	Implementation Strategy

JTC 1 N 3778	- Identification and Distribution of JTC 1 Related Documentation

JTC 1 N 4028	- Document Classification/Type Sample Templates

JTC1 N 4367 	- Electronic Document Tips and Techniques Guide

Annex D
8859-1 Character Set

[  TO BE INSERTED PRIOR TO DISTRIBUTION OF THIS DOCUMENT  ]

---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------