Subject: Text of JTC1 Resolution 8

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 09:39:41 -0700

Here is the full text of JTC1 Resolution 8 from the Paris plenary last
week. This is taken from a copy given participants on disk at the end of
the meeting. I do not yet have electronic copies of all the documents that
are referenced.
---
Resolution 8	JTC 1 Re-engineering

JTC 1 has reviewed the contributions received on the topic of JTC 1
re-engineering and as a result:

8.1	Approves document JTC 1 N 4473 as JTC 1’s Scope, Mission, 	Principles
and Objectives.

									Abstains: Denmark

8.2	Approves document JTC 1 N 4477 as new JTC 1 NP Acceptance 	Criteria.

									Unanimous

8.3	Approves document JTC 1 N 4478 as the JTC 1 Business Plan
Outline/Template for use by JTC 1 and its SCs in reporting on 	their
programmes of work.

									Unanimous

8.4	Establishes the following process and schedule to implement the
stop/cancel or publication/cancellation of appropriate projects listed in
document JTC 1 N 4302 revised:
· Based on the following objective criteria, the list in N 	4302 revised
will be updated and projects will be included on the list for cancellation:
 		- if there are less that 5 P-members actively 			participating in the
project;
 		-  if the project has missed the timescales for 			progression as set
forth in the Directives
· Using documents available at this meeting (i.e., updated PoW reviews and
NB contributions), the JTC 1 Secretariat and Chairman will correct the list
in N 4302 revised by 15 January 1997.
· Projects which are listed in N 4302 revised as "projects recommended for
cancellation" and which are also contained in Annex A of JTC 1 N 4459
"ITU-T comments on proposed JTC 1 reengineering", should have their status
indicated as "PUBLISH/CANCEL" in all cases in the further revision of JTC 1
N 4302 to be produced by the JTC 1 Chairman and Secretariat.
· The revised list will be circulated to JTC 1 National Bodies and to SC
Chairmen and Secretariats announcing the cancellation of those projects
effective 17 March 1997. Those SCs that believe that their projects are
listed in error may so advise the JTC 1 Secretariat prior to 17 March 1997.  
· The responses received will be reviewed at the 7-11 April 1997 meeting of
the JTC 1 Ad Hoc on Reengineering and final decisions will be taken.
 	Decisions of the Ad Hoc will be effective 15 April 1997.
 
 									Negative: Denmark
 
 8.5  Notes the status of the "special action" recommendations
contained in JTC 1 N 4302 revised:
· SC 2 - report received
· SC 28 - report due 1 May 1997
· SC 30 - report received
· SC 14 - hold in abeyance
· SC 26 - hold in abeyance
· SC 1 - response requested in time for the September 1997 JTC 1 plenary
· SC 22 - response requested in time for the September 1997 JTC 1 plenary
· SC 29 - response requested in time for the September 1997 JTC 1 plenary
· SC 25 - hold in abeyance

									Negative: Denmark

8.6	Requests that all future SC Secretariat reports to JTC 1
highlight project subdivisions indicating level of SC National 	Body
support and rationale for each.

									Unanimous

8.7	Based on the contributions received and the discussions held 	during
this meeting(see document N4479), authorizes the continuation of the Ad Hoc
on JTC 1 Re-engineering to:

· further define the JTC 1 Technology Directions

· prepare the definition and procedures for Business Teams

· review the current JTC 1 structure including its special groups and mode
of operation against the JTC 1 Technology Directions (N4307) and recommend
structural and operational (process)changes, as appropriate, as well as
prepare the implementation plan for transition to the new structure

· review the contributions received on the following topics which have been
referred to the Ad Hoc for consideration:
-	implementation inquiry
-	hardware  Vs software
-	NP criteria
-	definition of National Body participation
-	consideration of MPEG standardization development process
-	maintenance of standards
-	technical direction
-	Business Team concept
-	Inward and outward views
-	Business plan template
 
 JTC 1 authorises the JTC 1 Secretariat to initiate 60 day letter ballots
as necessary to achieve this.
 
National Body comments are requested on the above topics by  17 March 1996
in order that they may be considered by the Ad Hoc Group at its next meeting.

The schedule of meetings for the Ad Hoc Group on reengineering is as follows:
7-11 April 1997 in Germany
16-20 June 1997 in the UK

									Unanimous

---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------