Subject: Quick summary of results of JTC1 Paris Plenary

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 19:02:27 -0700

1) JTC1 took no decisions regarding proposed project cancellations.
Instead, two more "Re-engineering Ad Hoc" meetings (April 1997 in Berlin,
June 1997 in the UK) were authorized to make the decisions and ratify them
by JTC1 LB. The Secretary and I have until 15 January 1997 to inform JTC1
of any errors in the list. (For example, the state of some PHIGS amendments
were listed incorrectly.) Then JTC1 NBs (as well as the Secretary and I
again) have until 17 March 1997 to request exceptions. Cancellations will
be effective 17 March 97 (or, if an appeal fails, 15 April 1997).

2) There is little support for wavering on the two principles for project
continuation: (a) 5 or more NBs actively participate throughout the
process; and (b) the project meets its milestones. We can try putting in a
SC24 paper arguing against these in some cases, but I suspect we will have
little success.

3) JTC1 took no decisions regarding reorganization. There were all sorts of
concerns raised by NBs and SCs with the proposals, but the most compelling
were about the haste with which such a major change was about to be made.
The same two "Re-engineering Ad Hoc" meetings were authorized to make
investigations and make recommendations on re-organization to JTC1. SCs
were invited (verbally at least) to submit positions to the ad-hoc
regarding re-organization and related matters. I now expect JTC1 to make
its final decision at its September plenary in Ottawa.

4) SCs were strongly encouraged to intensify their efforts to "harvest"
public specifications and bring them into ISO. We in SC24 need to get much
more active in this regard and be able to explain to JTC1 what efforts we
are making and the rationale for them. There is real concern that SCs are
not trying hard enough to cooperate with outside organizations and bring
relevant work into JTC1.

I will be forwarding separately the full text of the most relevant JTC1
resolutions.

---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------