Subject: MIGRATION PLAN FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF THE NEW JTC 1 DIS DEVELOPMENT PROCESS - CORRECTED

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 16:11:55 -0700

The earlier version had a critical line missing from 2.2.

The migration over the next 5 months from the present JTC1 procedures to
the new ones could impact many of our projects (BIIF, PREMO, VRML). One way
to avoid impact is to have our DIS editing meetings before 1 May 1997 and
have the DIS text in ITTF's hands by 1 September. Projects that do not do
this will be forced to have a FCD ballot round before they can have a FDIS
ballot.

Here is a preliminary copy of the migration plan to the new FCD/FDIS
procedures. I do not have the final version yet and this one was created by
typing in the document approved in paper form at the December 13th plenary
of JTC1 held in Paris, France.

----
JTC1 N 4469

MIGRATION PLAN FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF THE NEW JTC 1 DIS DEVELOPMENT PROCESS

The following migration plan has been approved by the JTC 1 Secretariat and
ITTF in order to implement the new JTC 1 DIS development process. (See ISO
1 N 3663, N 3856, N 3856, 4041)

1. New Work

All NPs approved after May 1997 shall be processed accordingly to the new
DIS development process.

2.1 Work in hand

All draft International Standards and draft Amendments circulated prior to
1 May 1997 shall be processed according to the current ISO/IEC JTC 1 DIS
procedure i.e. four month DIS ballot followed by preparation of final text
for publication. In case of DIS which are disapproved, these will continue
to be processed according to the current procedures.

2.2 Committee drafts

All projects at the stage of committee draft may continue to be processed
according to the current ISO/IEC JTC 1 procedures i.e. submission for four
month DIS ballot followed by preparation of the final text, on condition
they receive the necessary substantial support for processing at DIS prior
to 1 May 1997 and the texts are received by ITTF before 1 September 1997.
CDs not having received the required substantial support shall be processed
according to the new DIS development process i.e. submission as a further
CD or as an FCD.

In order to facilitate the introduction of FCDs, JTC1/SCs are authorized to
begin preparation and submission of FCDs 1 January 1997.

2.3 Working drafts

All projects at the stage of working drafts as of 1 May 1997 shall be
processed according to the new DIS development process.

3. International Standardized Profiles ISPs

All draft ISPs shall continue to be processed in accordance with the
current DISP procedure.

4. Fast-track

All fast-track document shall continue to be processed in accordance with
the fast-track procedure i.e. clause 13 of the ISO/IEC JTC 1 Directives.

---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------