Subject: BUSINESS TEAM CONCEPT FOR JTC1

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:54:07 -0700

ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 4299

Title:		BUSINESS TEAM CONCEPT FOR JTC1
Source:	JTC 1 Ad Hoc on JTC 1 Reengineering
Action:	This document is forwarded to JTC 1 National Bodies for review 		and
comment by 1 December 1996.  Comments received will be 		considered at the
December 1996 JTC 1 Plenary meeting in Paris.

The task of JTC1 is the timely development of market-oriented standards.
Market-orientation is given by key business areas.  Analysis of such areas
shows that they are built of components from a broad range, across JTC1’s
Subcommittee structure, and beyond JTC1’s scope.  Therefore, a new
instrument is needed in JTC1 to deal with the cross-sectorial aspects of key
business areas.

Hence, the concept of business teams is introduced to cope with this
requirement.

The discussion on the business team concept included:
·	the concept of the business team is agreed, each team to focus on a
particular business area;
·	the resources for a business team membership will be drawn from NBs, SCs,
ISO/IEC TCs and from consortia/fora;
·	the business team will take and analyse the business requirements for
existing and new standards and specifications;
·	the business team will pull together what is required, whether it be ISs,
ISPs, consortia specifications;
·	the business team will identify what is missing and will agree which
bodies will undertake the work on each one, including timescales;
·	if necessary and appropriate, the business team itself will develop a
missing specification;
·	the business team will then review progress on these projects and ensure
their completion;
·	the business team will document the results of its work in the appropriate
form; if the documentation is in the form of an international standard, an
international standardized profile or a technical report, the relevant JTC1
procedures will be followed.

The principal JTC1 business application areas for initial focusing are
defined as:
·	electronic commerce
·	healthcare informatics
·	user access to data - information highways for corporations and cities
JTC1 will provide support to other bodies which are leading work on:
·	road transport informatics
·	computer integrated telephony / computer communications integration
Each of these needs proper scoping in order that their meaning can be
correctly understood.  Note that these lists will be developed further as
JTC1’s business focusing evolves.

This is proposed to the Paris Plenary.

---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------