Subject: Proposed JTC 1 Re-organization

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:53:37 -0700

ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 4307

Title:		Proposed JTC 1 Re-organization
Source:	JTC 1 Ad Hoc on JTC 1 Reengineering
Action:	This document is forwarded to JTC 1 National Bodies for review 		and
comment by 1 December 1996.  Comments received on this 		document will be
considered at the December 1996 JTC 1 Plenary 		meeting in Paris.
			
Security		SC27
Management		SC21/WG7, SC6/WG7
Information Interchange Media	SC11, SC23
Application portability	SC 22, SC 24/WG 4
Distributed application services	SC21/WG3, /WG7, /WG8, SC18/WG8, SC30
Networking & Interconnect *	SC6/-WG7, (SC25/WG4), (SC 25/WG3), (SC25/WG1),
(SC26), 
Multimedia and Representation		SC29,  SC2, SC24/7, SC24/WG6 ,
SC21/WG8/ASN.1, SC18/WG9
Supportive functions		SC1, SC7, SC28
Data capture	SC31
Identification Cards and Related Devices	SC 17

* Committees in parenthesis have been recommended for disbandment based on
the criteria used in JTC 1 N 4302.  If, however, JTC 1 does not approve the
disbandment of these committees (SC 25 and SC 26), the projects under
development in these committees would be placed in the Networking and
Interconnect Grouping. 
 Group Descriptions

Security

Generic methods and techniques for IT security, including related APIs and
protocols. 

SC 27

Management

The functions which permit a user to control the configuration, and
operation under normal and fault conditions, of networks, IT systems and
applications, and to derive information related to their performance and
cost of use.

Combines SC 21/WG 7 and SC 6/WG 7 	

Distributed Application Services

Provides the capabilities for distributed applications to communicate.  The
capabilities provided are applicable to a wide range of applications and
include:  electronic messaging, directory, transaction processing, object
services, and data and document handling.

Combines SC 21/WG 3/WG 7/WG 8, SC 18/WG 8 and SC 30

Networking and Interconnects

Includes those functions necessary for establishing the physical aspects of
communications and data interchange which comprise:  protocols, transport
services, connections services, control services, interchange services and
associated interconnection media.

Combines SC 6/-WG 7, (SC 25) and (SC 26)

Supportive Functions

Basic terminology, specific technologies and tools, including software
engineering and measurement techniques necessary for the development and
provision of services in the field of networking, application portability
and distributed applications.  

Includes SC 1, SC 7 and SC 28
 Scoping Definitions for new Groupings

Information Interchange Media

Digital data interchange and storage by means of optical and magnetic media,
including algorithms for the loss-less compression of data.

Excluded: optical memory cards.

Combines SC11 and SC23.

Application Portability

Programming languages, their environments and systems software interfaces,
including
		- specification techniques,
		- common facilities, and
		- language bindings.

Excluded: specialized languages or environments assigned to the program of
work of another Subcommittee or Technical Committee.

Combines SC22, SC24/WG4

Multimedia & Representation

Coded representation of hypermedia, multimedia, picture, audio and character
information, including
		- sets of compression and control functions for use with such information,
		- interchange of such information.

User system interface for such information, including keyboards, mice,
pointing devices, input and presentation techniques and dialogue, graphical
symbols and icons.

Combines SC29, SC2, SC24/WG7, SC24/WG6, SC21/WG8/ASN.1, SC18/WG9

Data Capture

see current SC31 scope.

---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------