Subject: Letter from JTC1 Chair on JTC1 Reengineering

From: Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:53:32 -0700

ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 4322

To:		ISO/IEC JTC 1 National Bodies and Subcommittees
From:		Mary Anne Lawler, JTC 1 Chairman
Subject:	JTC1 Reengineering
Companion Documents: JTC 1 N 4221, N 4298, N 4299, N 4301 - N 4307

Earlier this year JTC1 embarked on a reengineering effort in order to
strengthen the organization and ensure its viability in a highly competitive
environment.  These recommendations are a beginning - a first phase.  It is
hoped that as many recommendations as possible are approved in December for
implementation.

The mission, goals and objectives have all been updated to reflect a renewed
energy.  Sub-committee work programs were reviewed in an effort to ensure
market relevance and national body support. Recommendations have been made
to update the JTC1 work program. Concepts have been developed to attract end
user application projects and provide total user solutions.

An organization has been proposed to more accurately reflect the IT industry
today and for the future.  A model for JTC1 project work includes new frames
of reference:

    1) Functional areas - These include key technologies which span a
significant number of IT needs and support multiple business areas.  Most of
the current JTC1 work program falls in these areas.  The reengineered JTC1
must also attract additional  advanced key technologies

    2) Business Areas - These work areas are vertical in nature and make use
of the functional areas to solve real business problems. Users that are
seeking applications that are supported in a multi-vendor environment will
be encouraged to join with the IT talent at JTC1 to develop business
solutions. (These are most
    likely profiles.)

    3) Fundamental Building Blocks - As defined by the special working group
on the Global Information Infrastructure (SWG-GII), these are qualities
which exist in all standards and are required to make standards of value to
the end user.  FBB's include things such as access methods,
interoperability, internationalization, quality, etc.

All these recommendations have been by the following objectives to:

    - Encourage standardization projects which meet user-driven business
application needs

    - Create a structure that can respond to the standardization needs of
emerging technologies

    - Expand JTC1's business influence with IT producers and suppliers

    - Create new synergies between JTC1 and other groups dealing with IT
specifications

    - Provide an environment that is cost effective and supported by
available resources.

    - Exploit our own new technologies to encourage new ways of working

My deepest thanks to all the people involved in creating these
recommendations. There are many challenges ahead but these recommendations
are a good beginning for ensuring that JTC1 can meet the demands of the market.

---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
Las Cruces, NM 88011 USA
---------------------------------------------------------