Subject: ISO...SC22 Java Study Group Formed

From: Jean Stride <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Sep 96 04:01:21 EDT

For information only.
---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From:	Bob Mathis, 73313,2671
TO:	Paul Rabin, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Bill Rinehuls, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Gary Robinson, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Mike Ryer, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	SC22, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Martin Schonhacker, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Kate M Schell, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Fran Van Scoy, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Keld J|rn Simonsen, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Richard Soley, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Betty Sproule, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Paul D. Stachour, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Guy Steele, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Art Stewart, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Jean Stride, 100434,3031
	Alfred Strohmeier, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	T. Sunami, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Tucker Taft, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Symantec Internet Tools, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Willem Wakker, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Graham Warren, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Johan van Wingen, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Arnold F Winkler, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	William  Zachmann, 76004,3657
	William Zachmann, CIS:CANOPUS
	Rainer Zimmer, INTERNET:[email-masked]
	Abdelwahab Zramdini, INTERNET:[email-masked]
DATE:	30/09/96 00:28

RE:	ISO...SC22 Java Study Group Formed

I am sending this information to a number of individuals and mailing lists that
may have interests or know people who have interests in the area of Java and/or
related and/or competing technologies. I hope that you will forward this
information to others who might be interested. I apologize that people may
receive multiple copies, but that's the way of things. Follow-on discussion
should be conducted on the Java Study Group mailing list ([email-masked])
described at the end of the message.

Java Study Group established to investigate the possibilities for international
standardization of an architecturally neutral applications environment for
distributed applications.
Sun Microsystems Java environment is a popular example of this capability.

(London, England, September 27, 1996) The programming languages subcommittee of
ISO (International Organization for Standardization) established a Java Study
Group during its meeting this week in London at BSI (British Standards
Institute).

The purpose of this Study Group is to coordinate activities during a formal
study period leading to possible international standardization of the Java
programming language, the Java virtual machine, or alternate programming
technologies for World Wide Web applications. This Java Study Group was formed
in response to wide-spread commercial interest in Java and other Web portable
applications technologies.

Bob Mathis, Pithecanthropus Consulting, has been named Convener of this Java
Study Group. Dr. Mathis has more than 30 years experience in programming and
more than 13 years experience in programming language standards including a
similar special committee that led to Lisp standardization and more recently as
Convener of the Ada standards group.

Java is an architecturally neutral programming language designed for writing
programs distributed over the World Wide Web and executed in the context of a
Web browser. Similar technology is being incorporated into cable TV settop
devices, advanced telephones, and new generations of hand held devices and
entertainment systems.

Many universities are beginning to teach Java as a primary programming language
because of its broad range of use in different applications. International
acceptance of a target environment for such applications will encourage growth
and innovation in both applications and information appliances.

Interested individuals, companies, and organizations are encouraged to contact
the Convener of this Java Study Group directly or subscribe to the e-mail
reflector established for this group.

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 JSG (Java Study Group) e-mail reflector and Web page:
http://www.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/JSG/
E-mail reflector for Java Study Group (JSG)
	[email-masked]
send e-mail to: [email-masked]
body: subscribe sc22jsg <name>

Convener of JSG (Java Study Group)
Bob Mathis
Pithecanthropus Consulting, Inc.
Suite 305
4719 Reed Road
Columbus, Ohio 43220  USA
Phone: +1-614-538-9232
FAX: +1-614-538-0232
E-mail: [email-masked]