From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 92 16:58:57 CST

HERE IS DRAFT CONTENT FOR MY PRESENTATION ON SC24 TO THE JTC1
MEETING.  I WOULD LIKE TO GET COMMENTS BACK BY THE END OF THIS
WEEK, IF POSSIBLE.  I HOPE TO GET NICE (PRETTY) FOILS, BUT DO
NOT KNOW WHAT PICTURES TO INCLUDE.

----------------------------------------------------------------

            SC24: Computer Graphics and Image Processing

Area of Work:  Standardization of interfaces, in windowed
               and non-windowed environments, for:

               - computer graphics
               - image processing
               - interaction with and visual presentation of information

               Included are: ... presentation, and support for creation
               of, multimedia and hypermedia documents.

Chairman: Dr Barry J Shepherd (USA)

Secretariat: Fr W Wilke, DIN (resigning)

-------------------------------------------------
                     Structure and Membership

Meeting structure:  Annual plenary meeting in June/July

                    Working groups meet with SC24 plenary
                    and additionally, as needed.

                    80 experts from 14 countries at 1992 mtg

Currently have 20 P members, 16 O members

Recently restructured into 4 WGs

     WG1  Architecture                 Peter Bono, USA

     WG4  Language Bindings            Ingolf Grieger, Germany

     WG6  Multimedia Presentation      Paul ten Hagen, Netherlands
          and interchange

     WG7  Image Processing and         Detlef Kroemker, Germany
          Interchange

----------------------------------------------
                         WG1 Terms of Reference

* Development and maintenance of the Computer Graphics Reference Model

* Management of liaison with organizations outside SC24 on all topics
  of concern to SC24

* Solicitation of user requirements in the area of computer graphics
  and imaging.

* Guidance of proposed new areas of work prior to NP acceptance by JTC1

* Specification techniques for computer graphics standards and imaging
  standards

* Development of methods and procedures for testing and validation of
  implementations of computer graphics standards and imaging standards

-----------------------------------------------
                       WG4 terms of reference

* Develop programming language binding standards of SC24 semantic
  standards to existing programming language standards

* Review language binding aspects of items proposed for registration

* Review bindings to non-standard programming languages

* Provide interpretations of existing bindings as required

* Develop methods and procedures for the registration of graphical items

* Review and resolve SC24 ballot comments on items proposed for
  registration

-------------------------------------------------
                           WG6 terms of reference

* Standardization of computer graphics functional specifications for
  application program interfaces

* Standardization of techniques for presentation of multimedia informa-
  tion, including its creation, and support for user interaction

* Standardization of interfaces for storage, retrieval and interchange of
  multimedia objects.

* Standardization for graphical information exchange, including computer
  graphics metafiles and computer graphics device interfaces

* Standardization of encodings for SC24 standards

-----------------------------------------------------
                         WG7 terms of reference

* Development of Imaging Architecture

* (developing a standard for) Processing digital images

* (developing a standard for) Interchange and storage of digital images

* (specifying) Imaging techniques (components) in IT frameworks like
  multimedia, electronic mail, windowing, hypermedia and documents

* Profiling of generic (image processing and interchange) specifications
  for use in specific application domains

------------------------------------------------
                          WG1 activities

Special rapporteurs assigned to organize studies of:

  * Description Languages

  * Audio (eg, for the PROMO project)

  *Time (eg, for the PROMO project)

  * Windowing

  * Multimedia

-------------------------------------------------
                            WG4 activities

Language binding development for

  *  GKS revision

  *  APIs associated with the IPI standard

  *  PREMO NP, which may be object oriented.

  *  CGI to Ada

Process registration proposals as required

-----------------------------------------------
                        WG6 activities

Processing the GKS-9X semantic specification for DIS ballot

Extending the PREMO initial draft

Progressing a CGM amendment to support "application structure"

Maintaining the other "first generation" graphics standards
      (GKS, GKS-3D, PHIGS, CGI, and CGM-92)

-----------------------------------------------
                        PREMO NP description

PREMO is a second generation graphics standard

It is an Application Programming Interface

Goals include:

  * configurable; extensible by users

  * object oriented philosophy

  * include time as a basic component

  * incremental development in the committee (framework, components)

  * multiple types of objects, including: still graphics, animated
    graphics, synthetic images, audio, still images, moving images

  * compatible with distributed environments

------------------------------------------------
                             WG7 activities

Preparing for handling comments on DIS circulation

-------------------------------------------------
Problem: User relevance of standards

Solution: Gather user requirements

  *  surveys

  *  open meetings at conferences

Problem: Effective liaisons

Solution: Active tracking of liaison statements, especially in period
          between SC24 plenary meetings.

  * log incoming liaison statements (see form)

  * follow up on non-response to our statements

  * encourage presence of liaison representatives at meetings

----------------------------------------------
Problem: Progress between meetings

Solution: Maintain and manage a "to-do" list

  * to-do list created, with "due dates", during plenary

  * any incomplete items are reviewed during next plenary

Problem: Limited resource for standards work

Solution: Investigate type C liaison for specific groups/consortia

Problem: Timely development of standards

Solution: Develop anticipatory standards

          Validate via trial use.

--------------------------------------------------
Future Directions for SC24

Extend multimedia work to cover virtual reality

  * stereo presentation

  * unusual input devices

  * toolkit standard to assist construction of virtual worlds

Move into application oriented standards

  * domain tailoring via extensibility and profiles

-------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY

SC24 is active, and expert in APIs, language binding, and metafiles

We are trying to bring effective management methods to our work

Timeliness, user relevance, and quality are our goals

We anticipate major growth in market areas addressed by our projects

    *  image processing

    *  multimedia presentation and authoring support

    *  natural evolution to virtual reality