Subject: CGM ISPs

From: Anne Mumford <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 95 11:43:34 BST

At the Ottawa meeting we put together comments on the CGM ISPs
which are about to go out for ballot as ISO/IEC 12071 parts 1-4

National bodies are encouraged to contact their committees who have
responsibility for commenting on these ISPs to put in national
comments from a graphics perspective.

In order to assist, the comments put together at the meeting plus other
comments which have come to me from graphics experts are given below

Anne Mumford

*****************************************************

SC24:N1407 

Comments on CGM DISPs, ISO/IEC 12071 Parts 1-4

Note, these comments will be forwarded to ISO as comments 
from SC24 on the DISP ballots. Member bodies of SC24 are 
encouraged to comment along these lines and make any other 
comments on the ballots through their national bodies.

Comments on all parts:

1	The final version of CGM/Am 1 should be used.

2	Any resolved defects should be reflected in the text

3	Clause 5 should include the fact that conformance relates to 
metafiles and generators and interpreters (not just to 
metafiles).

4	All instances of N/A (not applicable) should be replaced by the 
check box for prohibited being used.

5	Table 16.1, be specific about version numbers allowed.	

6	Make a note at the start of the tables that the references within 
the tables are to CGM Am 1 document.

7	Change attachment 25.4 for each of the profiles with the 
correct information for each profile.

8	Change 25.3 to values appropriate for each profile (values 
from  LRH).

9	Defect corrections should be marked up on the tables.

10	 For elements such as line type (T.20.2), hatch index, edge 
type....
It would be better to check the 'Element is Permitted' and the 
values
1..5 box and leave all the other boxes blank.

11	 For Line Width specification mode (et al) T.17.3 - add 'Only 
absolute or scaled is permitted'

12	T.19.7 - Add a minimum number of points (3)  This would 
avoid some degeneracies. 

Comments on 12071-1 (FCG-BST)

1	Table 17.3, 17.4, 17.5 indicate there are no restrictions by 
adding "None"

2	Table 19.1 answer all questions including "None" - this is a 
general comment to be carried out where applicable.

3	Table 20.2, 20.24, 20.27 should be "permitted" and tick category 
for 1-6 allowed

4	Prohibit V3 attribute elements

5	Reference Am 1 Annex H in 24.4

6	T.16.2, for Colour Class and Source there is no entry for 
"Content". Should be "as Model).

7	T.16.9.  The "upper bound" question is not answered.  Should be 
"no" (or "as Model").

8	T.17.2, .3, .4, .5.  The restrictions listed are redundant with 
T.16.1, Metafile Version, at least formally speaking - they are 
imposed by the designation of V1 metafile.  The question then is 
whether we wish to be helpful to the reader and implementor 
of the profile by including such "observe V1 restrictions" notes.

9	T.20.1, .5, .9, .26.  Should have "as model" for "Allowable Index 
values".

10	T.20.22.  Note that this is not done consistently with T.17.2, 
explicitly restricting to V1 subset.

11	T.20.24.  "Same as Model" is only true within the constraints 
of V1 versus V3.  But, formally speaking it is not necessary to 
draw this distinction probably.  Should be done consistently 
however that question is resolved.

12	T.20.34.  "same as model" is not correct.  See T.16.9 for 
Greyscale (16, not 64).

13	Polygon set T.19.8 - '1024 points in the set' doesn't answer 
the question "Number of polygons in a set" .  You need a 
number like, minimum=1, maximum = unlimited

14	T.16.9 - use '-' for the range  (e.g., 0-255)

Comments on 12071-2 (FCG-AST)

1	Table 17.3, 17.4, 17.5 indicate there are no restrictions by 
adding "None"

2	Table 17.6, check "same as Model"

3	Table 19.9 make nx and ny same as model

4	Table 20.2, 20.24, 20.27 should be "permitted" and tick category 
for 1-6 allowed

5	Table 20.32, check "permitted"

6	Prohibit V3 attribute elements

7	Reference Am 1 Annex H in 24.4

8	Cell Array T.19.9 - Need to put in values for nx and ny.  What is 
'Mon'?

Comments on 12071-3 (FCG-BPV)

1	Table 19.9 needs to have an increased limit for nx*ny. The 
limits for nx and ny should be set to be the same.

2	Table 16.2, set the profile id to be FCG-BPV

3	Prohibit V3 attribute elements

4	Reference Am 1 Annex H in 24.4

Comments on 12071-4 (FCG-APV)

1	Table 19.9 needs to have an increased limit for nx*ny. The 
limits for nx and ny should be set to be the same.

2	Table 16.13, remove Hershey font, add the metrics for the 
Adobe 35 which go beyond the Adobe 13 already specified in the 
Model Profile.

3	Table 16.3 is not complete - add "permitted" and "no"

4	Table 19.8, number of polygons in the set should be set to "No 
Limit"

5	Table 19.9 make nx and ny same as model

6	Table 24.4 - need to note Annex H of Am 1 and also font metric 
information which is not the same as the Model. Reference to a 
new Annex with the extra metrics in which itself then 
references Annex H.