Subject: No X standard?

From: "C.Cartledge" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1992 17:01:52 +0100

Chris Cartledge                       Tel: 0742 768555  Ext: 4274
   Academic Computing Services           Fax: 0742 753899
   University of Sheffield
   SHEFFIELD, UK, S10 2TN

Dear Colleagues,

Apologies if you have seen this before - I thought I sent it but have
not got a copy back.  It seems very sad to say the least that there
will be no X protocol standard.

                  Chris
Message from JNT-Mail                         on 16/10/92 at 15:32:30

Via: UK.AC.NSFNET-RELAY ; Fri, 16 Oct 92 15:32:28 GMT
To: John Dyer <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Status of the XWindows dpANS
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 92 10:35:22 EDT
From: Bob Scheifler <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked]

    I was under the impression that this document was due to complete its
    public review during September 1992, however the message I have received
    indicates that the final decision will be taken in JANUARY 1993.

The second public review did close.  A few responses were received,
including resubmissions of earlier comments from Steve Carson and
Jon Steinhart.  A response document was created by about three people,
and sent out for letter ballot.  At the recent X3H3 meeting, Tom Porcher
(Digital) was the only person who showed up to deal with things, and he
met with Peter Bono (chair of X3H3).  They decided to delay consideration
until after Tom could present options to the X Consortium at our annual
meeting, held this week.  At that meeting, it was agreed that further
progression of the ANSI standard was not an effective use of resources,
and we've recommended to Tom that X3H3 simply drop the work.  I doubt
that X3H3 will disagree with us.  Tom may like to provide his own comments.

The X Consortium will want to decide what to do with the document.
At a minimum, I'll propose that the protocol additions done by ANSI
(e.g. keysyms, pixelization rules) be incorporated into the X Consortium
standard.  I'll also propose that the OSI work be adopted as an
X Consortium standard.  Whether the ANSI documents we replace our
current documents, or whether words will be lifted out and incorporated
into our current documents, will be a matter for discussion.