Subject: New Work Item Proposals

From: Barbara Lurvey O/o <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 May 1995 16:07:43 -0400

Dear SC24 Colleagues,

At the Ottawa(Aylmer) meeting, the US National Body will petition SC24 to
initiate
two new work items. 

The first is to produce a new multi-part standard for a
three-dimensional metafile for computer graphics, referred as 3DM.

The other is for a new part 5 to ISO/IEC 12087 (IPI/PIKS) to define an Image
Exchange Format(IEF) based on the US National Imagery Transmission Format
(NITF).  Please note that we believe that the IEF work can be considered a
splitting of the IPI work item.  Nevertheless, we have prepared NP and
requirement documents in order to address the many questions that you may have
with regards to this effort.

Paper copies of relevant draft NP and requirements documents will be
circulated in the SC24 mailing to be sent out this week. To assist other
NBs in reviewing and forming national positions of this material, the US
has also placed the relevant information onto an anonymous ftp site. The
applicable documents and their file names are:

- a readme document (README.txt)

- Proposal for a New Work Item for Three Dimensional Metafile for Computer
Graphics (3DM)  (3DMNP)

- 3D Metafile Requirements (3DMREQ)

- 3D Metafile Language Specification (3DMSPEC)

- 3DM Initial (US) Issues Log (3DISS)

- Proposal for a New Work Item for Image Exchange Format (IEF)  (IEFNP)

- Image Exchange Format (IEF) Requirements (IEFREQ)

These are available in TXT, RTF and PS forms (as distinguished by file
"extension".)

The URL for retrieval of 3DM documents by anonymous ftp is:

     ftp://ftp.intercap.com/dist/3DM

The URL for retrieval of IEF documents by anonymous ftp is:

     ftp://ftp.intercap.com/dist/IEF

Finally, the base NITF (the base for IEF) document is available from:

NITF home page:

     http://www.tasc.com/NITFS/

ftp site for download of the NITF standards document:

     ftp://ftp.itsi.disa.mil/pub/library/nitfs_docs/

The document at this site that you want is:

MIL-STD-2500A, National Imagery Transmission Format (Version 2.0) for the
National Imagery Transmission Format Standard, 12 October 1994

The file name is: fmtk12.zip

I look forward to seeing you all in Canada,
Barbara