Subject: Computer Graphics Vocabulary Standard (ISO 2382-13)

From: "C.Cartledge" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1992 11:36:59 +0100

Chris Cartledge                       Tel: 0742 768555  Ext: 4274
   Academic Computing Services           Fax: 0742 753899
   University of Sheffield
   SHEFFIELD, UK, S10 2TN

Dear Colleagues,

JTC1/SC1 N1374, ISO/IEC 2382-13 : Vocabulary of Information Processing :
Computer Graphics is out for second CD ballot with a closure no later
than 20 December 1992.

There would appear to be a problem over communication in respect of
this work which clearly ought to be closely coordinated with SC24.  The
document was worked in at JTC1/SC1/WG6 meetings in

Paris in November 1991,
Washington in summer 1992.

I know nothing of these meetings - were calling notices circulated to
SC24? Such circulation would be the least that might be expected.  My
copy of SC1 N1374 came via the BSI not via SC24 and I have not seen the
ballot responses nor any disposition of comments.  It is most important
that SC1 keeps SC24 informed about this, in future.

Initial UK expert opinion says that the document needs a lot of work.
Although it is not formally a responsibility of JTC1 SC24 it
will (I guess) go out as a DIS and later as an IS. This will inevitably
be the starting place for somebody trying to find out what ISO/IEC has
to say about Computer Graphics. It is clearly that the result should be
of high quality and should lead readers into the SC24 standards
themselves.  There should, perhaps, be a joint meeting of SC1 WG6(?) and
SC24 WG1(?) to work together on the next draft.

                  Chris