Subject: New Procedures Text

From: [email-masked] (Steve Carson)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 08:48:31 -0500

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6 N 9404
                                                     Date: 17 March 1995

                           ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6
                   TELECOMMUNICATIONS AND INFORMATION
                        EXCHANGE BETWEEN SYSTEMS
                       Secretariat: U.S.A. (ANSI)

Title:      New SC 6 Procedures for the Development and Approval of
            Standards in Cooperation with the Internet Society

Status:     In accordance with Resolution 10 of the ISO/IEC JTC 1
Plenary Meeting in Geneva, Switzerland, October 1994, and pursuant to
decisions at the ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 6 HoD/C Meeting in Beppu, Japan, March
1995, the attached set of proposed procedures for working with the
Internet Society is submitted for review by representatives of SCs 6,
18, 21, 24 and 29, the ITTF, the Internet Society and the JTC 1
Secretariat.  This document will serve as a basis for discussion at a
Spring 1995 meeting in New York City (USA) to review procedures for
working with the Internet Society.

Action:     For information to the National Bodies and Liaison
Organizations of SC 6 and for review at a meeting to develop procedures
for working with the Internet Society.

     --------------------------------------------------------------

INTRODUCTION

This document provides for changes in procedures that will assist SC 6
in the development of standards done in cooperation with the Internet
Society.  It is particularly important for those projects for which
collaboration leading to a common text has been agreed between SC 6 and
the Internet Society.  It must be understood that the common text
objective may be met by making normative reference in a JTC 1 standard
to an existing Internet standard (RFC).

1.          Electronic mail communication and voting

The SC 6 Secretariat shall establish a list of electronic mail (Email)
names and addresses that includes as many as possible of the SC 6
national body (NB) secretariats and heads of delegation and working
group (WG) secretariats and convenors.  Those who do not have Email
addresses may be listed with facsimile numbers.  This list will be
updated and distributed as often as necessary to those listed on it, so
that each one has access to this communication method.

The Email transmission system will, as soon as practical, replace paper
and supplement document distribution via diskette. The Email
transmission system may be used to distribute drafts, to submit NB
comments and contributions, to distribute letter ballots at the SC 6
level and to submit NB responses to letter ballots.

In addition, the appropriate WG secretariats or convenors shall each
establish a list of Email names and addresses that includes as many as
possible of the WG participants. Those who do not have Email addresses
may be listed with facsimile numbers.  This list will be updated and
distributed as often as necessary to those listed on it, so that each
one has access to this communication method.  These WG Email lists will
be used for implementation of Item 5 below.

2.          New Work Item Proposals (NP)

NPs for collaborative work shall always be submitted to JTC 1 by SC 6.

The Chairman of SC 6 and the Chairman of the Internet Engineering Task
Force (IETF) shall discuss the need for collaboration on specific
standards and develop agreement on those standards for which
collaboration should be recommended.  For each of these cases where an
SC 6 project does not already exist, the two chairmen shall develop a
statement of the material content for the New Work Item Proposal (NP).
The SC 6 Secretariat shall then prepare and distribute to the SC 6 NBs
(via the Email distribution list) an expedited letter ballot for the NP.
The normal NP Email ballot period shall be four weeks.  If the ballot is
approved within SC 6, the NP shall then be forwarded to JTC 1 for formal
approval of the new project according to existing JTC 1 procedures.

When approved, the SC 6 Secretariat shall allocate the project to the
appropriate SC 6 Working Group.

3.          Appointment of SC 6 Project Editor.

For collaborative work, the SC 6 Project Editor shall always be
appointed by SC 6.

For each identified and approved project, the Chairman of SC 6, in
consultation with the appropriate SC 6 Working Group Convenor, shall
nominate an SC 6 Project Editor, who should be either the same person
serving as IETF Editor or someone who will work closely with the IETF
Editor.  This proposed SC 6 Project Editor, if endorsed by the
appropriate SC 6 Working Group, will be recommended for formal approval
at the next SC 6 plenary meeting.

4.          Duties of Project Editor.

For SC 6, the Project Editor is responsible for maintaining the document
until it is approved for publication.  He or she shall transmit
electronic copies of the appropriate text and accompanying material to
the SC 6 Secretariat, who shall disseminate these to the SC 6 national
body distribution list for comment or ballot.  The preferred format for
document distribution in the development period may be defined as an ISO
646:IRV seven-bit ASCII text file.  Before the final text is submitted
to ITTF for publication, the Project Editor is responsible for
converting it to the required format in accordance with ISO/IEC
Directives, Part 3.

5.          Comments on Draft Standards

Where a common text standard is being developed and evaluated, the text
will be made available by both organizations.  The IETF draft standards
texts (RFCs) will be made available electronically, and the appropriate
WG secretariat or convenor shall distribute either (1) notification
about availability of each text or (2) a copy of the text, to the WG
Email distribution list.  WG participants shall obtain remote electronic
access to the RFCs as needed and establish a mechanism for the return of
national body comments simultaneously to IETF and to the WG Email
distribution list.

6.          SC 6 Letter Ballots

Upon formal notification from the WG Convenor that the WG has reached
consensus that the text is ready for SC 6 ballot, the ballot process
shall commence.  This normally will be done as soon as a decision has
been made in the Internet Working Group that the IETF RFC is stable and
ready to be sent to the Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG) for
final approval.

The SC 6 Secretariat shall distribute electronic mail ballots to the SC
6 Email distribution list for approval at the CD or PDAM stage.  SC 6
NBs shall respond within a ballot period of four weeks.  The SC 6
Secretariat shall summarize the responses in a message to the Email
distribution list.  The Project Editor shall modify the document as
necessary.  If substantive changes are required to obtain agreement, a
subsequent reballot will be performed.  The objective is final SC 6
approval of a stable document before submitting a text to JTC 1 for DIS
or DAM ballot.

7.          JTC 1 Letter Ballots

The ballot at the DIS or DAM level will be conducted in a manner
according to the existing JTC 1 procedures.  The goal is to schedule the
beginning of the JTC 1 ballot during the public review period that
precedes final approval by IESG.  Ballot results, including comments,
shall be sent to the responsible Project Editor and the SC 6 Email
distribution list.  The assigned Project Editor shall be responsible for
resolving negative comments, using the SC 6 Email distribution list.  If
resolution by Email is not possible, the Project Editor will schedule
and convene a ballot resolution group meeting.

8.          Publication

The Project Editor shall produce the final text for publication and send
it to the ITTF.  The goal is to have common text for standards of both
JTC 1/SC 6 and IETF.

---------------------------------------------------------
Steve Carson                 phone:   +1-505-521-7399
GSC Associates Inc.          fax:     +1-505-521-9321
5272 Redman Road             e-mail:  [email-masked]
PO Box 8698
Las Cruces, NM 88006-8698 USA
---------------------------------------------------------