Subject: JTC1 N3413 Text Only version

From: [email-masked] (Steve Carson)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 23:59:05 -0600

ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 3413

Version 1.0
February 13, 1995

JTC1's

ELECTRONIC DOCUMENT FORMATTING

GUIDELINES

TABLE OF CONTENT

1. Scope
3

2. Media
3

3. Formatting and Filing System                                         3

4. File Format                                                          3

5. Document Format                                                      3

6. Usage of Compression Utilities                                       4

7. Direct Electronic Distribution
4

8. Packaging                                                            4

1. Scope

The purpose of this document is to define the electronic formatting
practices that will be used by ISO/IEC/JTC1 and its subsidiary bodies for
the distribution of documents.

2. Media

3 1/2 "  high density (1.44 MB) diskettes medias shall be used for distribution.

3. Formatting and Filing System

The media formatting and filing system used shall be compatible with the
DOS 5.0 and higher operating system.

4. File Format

For distribution and archiving purpose, the RTF (Rich Text Format) format
should be used as the format of choice.  The following file formats are
also acceptable:

                        - MSWord version 2.0 or later.
                        - Wordperfect version 5.1 or later.

For documents embedding graphics, the graphics shall be editable by the MS
DOS or MS Window edition of a wordprocessor or editor functionally
compatible with the above file format.

5. Document Format

Document shall be formatted to be, once printed, as per appropriate ISO
guidelines such as Directive 3.

6. Usage of Compression Utilities

Under investigation.

7. Direct Electronic Distribution

Under investigation

8. Packaging

All mailing of documents on electronic media shall follow the following :

                -       All diskettes shall be in a rigid or suitable
padded envelope.

                -       All diskettes shall be clearly labelled with the
following information:

                                        -       sequentially numbered  "x
of y" were "x" is the number of the diskette and "y" is the total number of
diskette in the mailing.

                                        -       the origin (JTC1, SC or WG)
of the mailing.

                                        -       the date of the mailing.

                -       the first diskette shall have a ISO 646:IRV 7 bit
ASCII text file named "readme.txt" describing the content of the diskette
set as per the following:

                                        -       file name & suffix

                                        -       location (diskette number)

                                        -       document number

                                        -       document title

                                        -       word processor and version

                                        -       file creation date

                -       all files name shall be as per  the following
convention:

                                        file name:      eight characters
mnemonic using the format YYNXXXX were YY is the originating body (e.g., J1
for JTC1, 7 for SC7, etc..) and NXXXX is the document 'N' number.

                                        suffix: three characters or less

                                                                text files:
.txt
                                                                MS Word:
.doc

Wordperfect:    .wp
                                                                TTCN.MP
.mp