Subject: Re: (SC24.105) Liaison statement to OMG

From: Chris Cartledge <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 15:52:50 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 14 Oct 1994, Steve Carson wrote:

> The following text was approved by SC24/WG6 PREMO RG this week at its
> meeting in the US. Unless there are objections, SC24 will forward this
> position to the OMG on Friday 22 October.
> 
> Steve Carson
> Acting SC24 Chair

Steve,

The UK discussed this and the other liaisons at its meeting of yesterday,
but had in front of it no report nor the minutes (which we now have and I  
have read) of the PREMO Rapporteur Group and WG6 meetings.  

The UK is aware of the importance of the issues for PREMO and SC24 and
also for OMG.  It is clear that SC24 have done everything properly.  There
are real problems over at least some of the the demands OMG are making
(wanting to retain copyright of a fast-tracked document for example).  It
is however important to look for continuing dialogue and exploration of
the way the differences can be resolved.  There must surely be benfit for
all in our referring to and relying on their "standards".  So the UK asks
the following: 

a) if the liaison have not yet been sent, could you look at them
(particularly the one to OMG) again; to include a specific invitation for
further dialogue?  I am aware that the content was approved by the experts
but it would leave us happier if the door could be explicitly left open; 

b) the ballots on ISO/IEC 14478-1 and -2 due to close on 1994-11-01, be 
extended until there is more clarity over future relations between 
SC24 and OMG;

Regards

Chris