Subject: Amendment 1 to ISO/IEC 9995-7

From: "Alain LaBont/e'/" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 14:23:07 -0400

At 12:42 29/07/1996 edt, MARISA TOPPING wrote:
>
>I sent the approval for Keith Brannon at ITTF to publish 9995-7/AM 1.  Have 
>you sent him a clean hard copy and also an electronic copy (I 'm not sure 
>what format he needs)?  The copy I sent him, which was a fax from you, is 
>probably not clean enough for him to publish from.  Please let me know if 
>there is a problem with this request or contact Keith directly.
>
>Thanks.

I think that what is important is that they compare with the copy they have
to be sure that the 3 occurrences of the character representing the DECIMAL
SEPARAROR function symbol (the electronic copy shows an upper case Greek
letter GAMMA, the nearest character I could find, shape-wise) be corrected
by ISO publishers.

Here is the RTF version of the file. Keith, is it OK? That avoids mail...
and it is infinitely more efficient that we proceed this way. It reduces the
delays to virtually zero.

Alain LaBonté

--------Cut here--------
{\rtf1\ansi \deff4\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f1\froman\fcharset2\fprq2
Symbol;}{\f4\froman\fcharset0\fprq2 Times New Roman;}{\f5\fswiss\fcharset0\fprq2
Arial;}{\f12\fnil\fcharset2\fprq2 Wingdings;}
{\f49\fmodern\fcharset0\fprq1 WP BoxDrawing;}{\f90\fswiss\fcharset2\fprq2 Arial
Greek;}{\f108\fmodern\fcharset255\fprq1
Terminal;}}{\colortbl;\red0\green0\blue0;\red0\green0\blue255;\red0\green255
\blue255;\red0\green
255\blue0;\red255\green0\blue255;
\red255\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\g
reen0\blue128;\r
ed0\green128\blue128;\red0\green128\blue0;\red128\green0\blue128;\red128\gre
en0\blue0;\red1
28\green128\blue0;\red128\green128\blue128;\red192\green192\blue192;}
{\stylesheet{\f4\fs20\lang3084 \snext0 Normal;}{\*\cs10 \additive Default
Paragraph Font;}{\s15\fi-
720\li720\ri720\sb480\tldot\tx9000\tqr\tx9360\hyphpar0 \f4\fs20
\sbasedon0\snext0 toc 1;}{\s16\fi-
720\li1440\ri720\tldot\tx9000\tqr\tx9360\hyphpar0
\f4\fs20 \sbasedon0\snext0 toc
2;}{\s17\fi-720\li2160\ri720\tldot\tx9000\tqr\tx9360\hyphpar0
\f4\fs20 \sbasedon0\snext0 toc
3;}{\s18\fi-720\li2880\ri720\tldot\tx9000\tqr\tx9360\hyphpar0
\f4\fs20 \sbasedon0\snext0 toc 4;}{
\s19\fi-720\li3600\ri720\tldot\tx9000\tqr\tx9360\hyphpar0 \f4\fs20
\sbasedon0\snext0 toc 5;}{\s20\fi-
720\li720\tx9000\tqr\tx9360\hyphpar0 \f4\fs20 \sbasedon0\snext0 toc 6;}{\s21\fi-
720\li720\hyphpar0 \f4\fs20 \sbasedon0\snext0 toc 7;}{
\s22\fi-720\li720\tx9000\tqr\tx9360\hyphpar0 \f4\fs20 \sbasedon0\snext0 toc
8;}{\s23\fi-
720\li720\tldot\tx9000\tqr\tx9360\hyphpar0 \f4\fs20 \sbasedon0\snext0 toc
9;}{\s24\fi-
1440\li1440\ri720\tldot\tx9000\tqr\tx9360\hyphpar0 \f4\fs20 \sbasedon0\snext0
index 1;}{\s25\fi-720\li1440\ri720\tldot\tx9000\tqr\tx9360\hyphpar0 \f4\fs20
\sbasedon0\snext0
index 2;}{\s26\tx9000\tqr\tx9360\hyphpar0 \f4\fs20 \sbasedon0\snext0 toa
heading;}{\s27
\f4\lang3084 \sbasedon0\snext0 caption;}{\*\cs28 \additive
_Equation Caption;}}{\info{\title xsdf}{\author standard}{\operator
standard}{\creatim\yr1996\mo7\dy19\hr10\min6}{\revtim\yr1996\mo7\dy19\hr10\m
in9}{\version3}{\
edmins5}{\nofpages0}{\nofwords0}{\nofchars0}{\vern49205}}
\paperw12242\paperh15842\margl1418\margr1134\margt1418\margb1134
\ftnbj\aenddoc\hyphhotz950\makebackup\aftnnar\notabind\wraptrsp\nocolbal\tra
nsmf\hyphcaps0
\fet0{\*\ftnsep \pard\plain \f4\fs20\lang3084 {\fs24 \chftnsep }
\par }{\*\aftnsep \pard\plain \sl-20\slmult0 \f4\fs20\lang3084 {\fs24
\par }}{\*\aftnsepc \pard\plain \f4\fs20\lang3084 {\fs24  }
\par }{\*\aftncn \pard\plain \f4\fs20\lang3084 {\fs24  }
\par }\sectd \psz1\pgnrestart\linex0\headery1418\footery1134\colsx709
{\*\pnseclvl1\pnucrm\pnstart1 {\pntxta .}}{\*\pnseclvl2\pnucltr\pnstart1
{\pntxta
.}}{\*\pnseclvl3\pndec\pnstart1 {\pntxta .}}{\*\pnseclvl4\pnlcltr\pnstart1
{\pntxta .}}{\*\pnseclvl5
\pndec\pnstart1 {\pntxtb (}{\pntxta )}}{\*\pnseclvl6\pnlcltr\pnstart1
{\pntxtb (}{\pntxta
)}}{\*\pnseclvl7\pnlcrm\pnstart1 {\pntxta )}}{\*\pnseclvl8\pnlcltr\pnstart1
{\pntxta
)}}{\*\pnseclvl9\pnlcrm\pnstart1\pnindent720\pnhang{\pntxtb (}{\pntxta )}}
\pard\plain \qr\tx1418 \f4\fs20\lang3084 {\b\f5\fs22 \tab \tab \tab \tab
\tab \tab ISO/IEC
JTC1/SC18/WG9 N 1587R
\par }\pard \tx1418 {\b\f5\fs22
\par }\pard \qr\tx1418 {\b\f5\fs22 \tab \tab \tab \tab User System
Interfaces and Symbols
\par }\pard \tx1418 {\b\f5\fs22
\par }\pard \tx1418 {\b\f5\fs22
\par }\pard \tx1418 {\b Title:\tab Final text of Amendment 1 to ISO/IEC 9995-7
\par
\par Status:\tab For publishing by ISO/IEC Central Secretariat
\par
\par Source:\tab Alain LaBont\'e9, ISO/IEC 9995 Project  editor
\par
\par Date:\tab 1996-04-17
\par
\par Reference:\tab SC18/WG9 N 1580, Disposition of Comments on DAM-1 Ballot
\par
\par
\par
\par }\pard \fi-1418\li1418\tx1418 {\b Editor\rquote s note:\tab Due to a
lack of appropriate font at
time of editing, the fact of using the electronic version provided by the
editor will result in
displaying an incomplete symbol number 62. This symbol\rquote
s outline was provided by the sans-serif upper-case Greek letter GAMMA but
the 3 occurrences of
the actual rectangle-triangle symbol  had to be manually completed and
filled on the paper copy of
the document.
\par }\pard \tx1418 {\b
\par }\pard \tx1418 {\b
\par
\par }\pard \tx1418 {\b\f5\fs22 \page Information technology -- Keyboard
layouts for text and office
systems -- ISO/IEC 9995
\par }\pard
\par \pard {\b\f5\fs22 Part 7:}
\par \pard
\par \pard {\b\f5\fs22 Symbols used to represent functions
\par }\pard
\par \pard {\f5\fs22 AMENDMENT 1}
\par \pard
\par
\par Add the following page at the end of clause 5.
\par
\par Amend the English and French alphabetic indexes in informative
\par annex A to reflect the additions of symbols 57 to 62 to part 7.
\par
\par Add a row in informative annex B starting under symbol 49 to show
\par symbols 57 to 62 in the visual index.
\par
\par Create a new informative annex with the pages following the next one.
\par \pard \page {\fs18 ISO/IEC   \tab ISO 7000   \tab Symbol/  \tab
Function \tab  \tab Fonction
\tab Description \tab Description
\par }\pard {\fs18 (ISO/C\'c9I)  \tab IEC(C\'c9I)417 \tab Symbole
\par Number/N\'b0  \tab Number/N\'b0
\par
\par }\pard {\fs18 57         \tab \tab IEC 417     \tab     }{\b\fs40
+}{\fs18       Addition  \tab \tab
Addition  \tab To indicate \tab Indiquer          \tab \tab \tab 5005
\tab \tab \tab
\tab \tab the arithme-\tab l'op
\'e9ration
\par }\pard {\fs18                                                    \tab
\tab \tab \tab \tab \tab tic function\tab
arithm\'e9tique
\par                                                    \tab \tab \tab \tab
\tab \tab "addition"   \tab d'addition
\par
\par }\pard {\fs18 58         \tab \tab IEC 417     \tab      }{\f108\fs40
-}{\f49\fs32 \tab }{\fs18 Subtrac-
\tab \tab Soustrac- \tab To indicate \tab Indiquer
\par }\pard {\fs18 \tab \tab 5006                \tab \tab tion      \tab
\tab tion      \tab \tab the arithme-
\tab l'op\'e9ration\tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab tic
function\tab arithm\'e9tique
\par }\pard {\fs18                                              \tab \tab
\tab \tab \tab \tab \tab "subtrac-  \tab de
soustrac-
\par                                                    \tab \tab \tab \tab
\tab \tab tion"   \tab \tab tion
\par
\par }\pard {\fs18 59         \tab \tab ISO 7000     \tab     }{\b\fs40
\'d7}{\fs18  \tab Multipli- \tab \tab
Multipli-\tab \tab To indicate \tab Indiquer
\par }\pard {\fs18            \tab \tab 0654                \tab \tab cation
\tab \tab cation    \tab \tab the
arithme-   \tab l'op\'e9ration
\par  \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab tic function\tab
arithm\'e9tique
\par                                                    \tab \tab \tab \tab
\tab \tab "multiplica-\tab de multipli-
\par                                                    \tab \tab \tab \tab
\tab \tab cation"
\par
\par }\pard {\fs18 60         \tab \tab ISO 7000      \tab
}{\field\flddirty{\*\fldinst {\b\fs40 SYMBOL
184 \\f "Symbol"}}{\fldrslt }}{\fs18  \tab Division  \tab \tab Division
\tab \tab To indicate \tab Indiquer
\par }\pard {\fs18                               \tab 0655}{\f12\fs24
\'b2}{\fs18             \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab
\tab the arithme-\tab l'op\'e9ration
\par }\pard {\fs18 \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab tic
function\tab arithm\'e9tique
\par                                                    \tab \tab \tab \tab
\tab \tab "division"   \tab de division
\par
\par }\pard {\fs18 61         \tab \tab ISO 7000     \tab     }{\b\fs40
=}{\fs18 \tab Equals\tab \tab
\'c9galit\'e9\tab \tab To indicate \tab Indiquer
\par }\pard {\fs18            \tab \tab 0652
\tab \tab \tab \tab \tab the function
\tab l'op\'e9ration
\par                                                    \tab \tab \tab \tab
\tab \tab "equals"\tab   \tab d'\'e9galit\'e9
\par
\par }\pard {\fs18 62 \tab \tab ISO 7000                   }{\f90\fs40
\'c3}{\fs18 \tab Decimal   \tab
S\'e9parateur\tab To indicate \tab Marquer la
\par }\pard {\fs18 \tab \tab 1859}{\field\flddirty{\*\fldinst {\fs18\up6
SYMBOL 118 \\f
"Wingdings"}}{\fldrslt }}{\fs18    \tab \tab \tab separator \tab  \tab
d\'e9cimal \tab \tab the
separation\tab s\'e9paration
\par }\pard {\fs18 \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab between the
\tab entre la
\par \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab integer part  \tab partie
\par \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab and frac-   \tab enti\'e8re et
\par \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab tional      \tab \tab la
partie
\par \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab part of    \tab \tab
d\'e9cimale
\par \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab a number    \tab d'un nombre
\par
\par
\par }\pard \fi-284\li284 {\f12 \'b2\tab }{\fs16 Current ISO 7000 shows
another symbol. However
ISO TC145 agreed to change it in a future version.
\par }\pard \fi-284\li284\tx426 {\fs16 \tab \tab L\rquote actuelle ISO 7000
montre un autre symbole.
Toutefois le TC145 a accept\'e9 de le changer dans une version \'e0 venir.
\par }\pard \fi-284\li284\tx426 {\fs16
\par }\pard \fi-284\li284\tx426 {\field\flddirty{\*\fldinst {\fs18\up6
SYMBOL 118 \\f
"Wingdings"}}{\fldrslt }}{\fs18\up6 \tab \tab }{\fs16\up6 Pending ISO 7000
registration
\par }\pard \fi-284\li284\tx426 {\fs16\up6 \tab \tab Enregistrement dans
l\rquote ISO 7000 en cours
\par }\pard \fi-284\li284\tx426 {\fs18\up6 \tab \tab }{\fs16
\par }\pard
\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx7788
\tx8496\tx9204\hy
phpar0 \page {\f5\fs28\lang2057 Annex C -- Symbols for the numeric section
(informative)
\par }\pard
\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx7788
\tx8496\tx9204\hy
phpar0 {\f5\fs28\lang2057 Annexe C -- Symboles pour le module num\'e9rique
(informative)
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\b\f5\lang2057 C.1\tab Introduction
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057 The graphic symbols defined in this International
Standar
d are the recommended symbols to be used for indicating the functions
allocated to the different
keys of a keyboard.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang1036 Les symboles graphiques d\'e9finis dans la
pr\'e9sente norme
internationale constituent les symboles recommand\'e9s \'e0 \'ea
tre utilis\'e9s pour indiquer certaines fonctions attribu\'e9es aux
diff\'e9rentes touches d'un clavier.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
In the course of time a number of different symbols have come to be used for
representing certain
functions. This is so because, on the one hand, graphic characters were used
to represe
nt the functions and only a limited number of different characters were
available. On the other
hand, customs differ from country to country and established ways of
representing functions on
typewriters or other existing equipment variations had to be tak
en into consideration.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang1036 Avec le temps, plusieurs symboles diff\'e9rents ont
\'e9t\'e9 utilis\'e9s
pour repr\'e9
senter certaines fonctions. Il en est ainsi parce que, d'une part, des
caract\'e8res graphiques ont
\'e9t\'e9 utilis\'e9s pour repr\'e9senter les fonctions et que seulement un
nombre limit\'e9 de
caract\'e8res \'e9
taient alors disponibles. D'autre part, les usages varient d'un pays \'e0
l'autre de sorte que les
fa\'e7ons \'e9tablies pour repr\'e9senter les fonctions sur les machines
\'e0 \'e9crire ou diverses
variations sur les \'e9quipements existants ont d\'fb
\'eatre prises en consid\'e9ration.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
This annex shows some examples of the use of graphic symbols for certain
functions and gives,
where possible and adequate, recommendations for future use.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang1036 Cette annexe montre quelques exemples d'usages de
symboles
graphiques pour certaines fonctions et \'e9
nonce, lorsque cela est possible et ad\'e9quat, des recommandations quant
\'e0 leur usage \'e0
venir.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057 \page }{\b\f5\lang2057 C.2\tab Division}{\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057 \tab
Some programming languages require that the function "division" be
represented by the graphic
character "solidus" ( / ). Also, the function is sometimes represented by
the graphic character
"colon"
\par ( : ). In the past, these different graphic characters representing
"division" were also used to
indicate the function "division" on the relevant key of the keyboard. This
led to many different
implementations.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang1036 \tab Quelques langages de programmation prescrivent
que la fonction
\ldblquote division\rdblquote  soit repr\'e9sent\'e9
e par le caract\'e8re graphique \ldblquote barre oblique\rdblquote  ( / ).
De plus, cette fonction est
parfois repr\'e9sent\'e9e par le caract\'e8re graphique \ldblquote deux
points\rdblquote  ( : ). Par le
pass\'e9, ces diff\'e9rents caract\'e8
res graphiques repr\'e9sentant la \ldblquote division\rdblquote  ont
\'e9t\'e9 aussi utilis\'e9s pour
indiquer la fonction \ldblquote division\rdblquote  sur une touche
particuli\'e8re du clavier. Ceci a
conduit \'e0 diff\'e9rentes mises en oeuvre.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057 \tab For marking the key to which the function
"division" is allocated it is
recommended to use the symbol (}{\f1\lang2057 \'b8}{
\f5\lang2057 ) defined in this International Standard.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang1036 \tab Pour marquer la touche \'e0 laquelle est
attribu\'e9e la fonction
\ldblquote division\rdblquote , il est recommand\'e9
 d'utiliser le symbole ( }{\f1\lang1036 \'b8}{\f5\lang1036  ) d\'e9fini dans
la pr\'e9sente norme
internationale.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\b\f5\lang2057
\par C.3\tab Multiplication }{\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057 \tab
Some programming languages require that the function "multiplication" be
represented by the
graphic character "asterisk" ( * ). Also, the function is sometimes
represented by the graphic
character "middle dot" ( \'b7
 ). In the past, these different graphic characters representing
"multiplication" were also used to
indicate the function "multiplication" on the relevant key of the keyboard.
This led to many different
implementations.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang1036 \tab Quelques langages de programmation prescrivent
que la fonction
\ldblquote multiplication\rdblquote  soit repr\'e9sent\'e9
e par le caract\'e8re graphique \ldblquote ast\'e9risque\rdblquote  ( * ).
De plus, cette fonction est
parfois repr\'e9sent\'e9e par le caract\'e8re graphique \ldblquote point
m\'e9dian\rdblquote  ( \'b7 ).
Par le pass\'e9, ces diff\'e9rents caract\'e8
res graphiques repr\'e9sentant la \ldblquote multiplication\rdblquote  ont
\'e9t\'e9 aussi utilis\'e9s
pour indiquer la fonction \ldblquote multiplication\rdblquote  sur une
touche particuli\'e8re du
clavier. Ceci a conduit \'e0 diff\'e9
rentes mises en oeuvre.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057 \tab For marking the key to which the function
"multiplication" is
allocated it is recommended to use the symbol ( }{\f1\lang2057
\'b4}{\f5\lang2057  ) defined in this International Standard.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang1036 \tab Pour marquer la touche \'e0 laquelle est
attribu\'e9e la fonction
\ldblquote multiplication\rdblquote , il est recommand\'e9
 d'utiliser le symbole ( }{\f1\lang1036 \'b4}{\f5\lang1036  ) d\'e9fini dans
la pr\'e9sente norme
internationale.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\b\f5\lang2057 C.4\tab Decimal Separator/S\'e9parateur
d\'e9cimal}{\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057 \tab
The internationally recommended symbol for the representation of the
"decimal sign" is the
graphic character "comma" ( , ). On the other hand, many other graphic
characters were and are
being used in different countries and cultures. In the past, these d
ifferent graphic characters representing the "decimal sign" were also used
to indicate the function
"decimal separator" on the relevant key of the keyboard. This led to many
different
implementations. \tab
Part 4 of this International Standard also mentions both the "comma" ( , )
and the "full stop" ( . ) as
valid representations of the "decimal sign".
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang1036 \tab Le symbole recommand\'e9 pour repr\'e9senter
le \ldblquote signe
d\'e9cimal\rdblquote  est le caract\'e8re graphique
\ldblquote virgule\rdblquote  (,). Par ailleurs, plusieurs autres
caract\'e8res graphiques ont \'e9t\'e9
et sont toujours utilis\'e9s par diff\'e9rentes cultures dans diff\'e9rents
pays. Par le pass\'e9, ces
diff\'e9rents caract\'e8res graphiques repr\'e9
sentant le \ldblquote signe d\'e9cimal\rdblquote  ont aussi \'e9t\'e9
utilis\'e9s pour indiquer la
fonction \ldblquote s\'e9parateur d\'e9cimal\rdblquote  sur une touche
particuli\'e8re du clavier.
Ceci a conduit \'e0 diff\'e9
rentes mises en oeuvre. La partie 4 de la pr\'e9sente norme internationale
mentionne aussi que la
\ldblquote virgule\rdblquote  ( , ), tout comme le \ldblquote
point\rdblquote  ( . ), sont des
repr\'e9sentations valables du \ldblquote signe d\'e9cimal
\rdblquote .
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057 \tab
As the function "decimal separator" is always the same, independent of the
graphic character that
the "decimal sign" is represented by in printed or otherwise displayed form
in different countries,
this
 International Standard defines a unique graphic symbol for representing the
function.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang1036 \tab Comme la fonction \ldblquote s\'e9parateur
d\'e9cimal\rdblquote
est toujours la m\'eame, quel que soit le caract\'e8
re graphique utilis\'e9 pour l'imprimer ou l'afficher dans diff\'e9rents
pays, la pr\'e9sente norme
internationale d\'e9finit un symbole graphique unique pour repr\'e9senter
cette fonction.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057 \tab For marking the key to which the function
"decimal separator" is
allocated it is recommended to use the symbol ( }{\f90\fs24
\'c3}{\f5\lang2057  ) defined in this International Standard. The
 statement concerning the "decimal sign" in Part 4 of this International
Standard will be adapted
correspondingly in the next revision of that part of the standard. In
countries where only one
character is used to represent the function "decimal separator
", then this text character may be used instead of symbol 62.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang1036 \tab Pour marquer la touche \'e0 laquelle est
attribu\'e9e la fonction
\ldblquote s\'e9parateur d\'e9cimal\rdblquote
, il est recommand\'e9 d'utiliser le symbole ( }{\f90\fs24 \'c3
}{\f5\lang1036 ) d\'e9fini dans la
pr\'e9sente norme internationale. La remarque concernant le \ldblquote signe
d\'e9cimal\rdblquote
dans la partie 4 de la pr\'e9
sente norme internationale sera adapt\'e9e en cons\'e9quence lors de la
prochaine r\'e9vision de
cette partie de la norme. Dans les pays o\'f9 seulement un caract\'e8re est
utilis\'e9 pour
repr\'e9senter la fonction \ldblquote s\'e9parateur d\'e9cimal
\rdblquote , ce caract\'e8re textuel peut utilis\'e9 en remplacement du
symbole n\'b0 62.
\par }\pard \fi-
426\li426\tx426\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx637
2\tx7080\tx7788\tx
8496\tx9204\hyphpar0 {\b\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard \fi-
426\li426\tx426\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx637
2\tx7080\tx7788\tx
8496\tx9204\hyphpar0 {\b\f5\lang2057
\par
\par
\par C.5\tab Examples of the representation of the "decimal sign" by
different graphic characters
in
\par }\pard \fi-
426\li426\tx0\tx426\tx567\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\t
x6372\tx7080\tx778
8\tx8496\tx9204\hyphpar0 {\b\f5\lang2057 \tab different
countries/}{\b\f5\lang1036 Exemples
connus de s\'e9parateurs d\'e9cimaux utilis\'e9s dans diff
\'e9rents pays:
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\b\f5\lang2057
\par Country/\tab \tab \tab \tab General usage/\tab \tab \tab Monetary figures/
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\b\f5\lang2057 Pays\tab \tab \tab \tab \tab Usage
g\'e9n\'e9ral\tab \tab \tab Valeurs
mon\'e9taires
\par ======================================================================
\par
\par Arabic countries/\tab \tab \tab ( , )\tab \tab \tab any character
except ( . )
\par Pays arabes\tab \tab \tab \tab ( , )\tab \tab \tab tout caract\'e8re
sauf ( . )
\par
\par Canada (French/fran\'e7ais)\tab \tab ( , )\tab \tab \tab ( , ) or/ou ( . )
\par Canada (English/anglais)\tab \tab ( . ) or/ou ( , )\tab \tab ( . )
\par
\par Portugal\tab \tab \tab \tab ( , )\tab \tab \tab ( $ ) for figures
in/pour valeurs en POE
\par
\par Sweden/Su\'e8de\tab \tab \tab \tab ( , )\tab \tab \tab ( : ) and/et ( . )
\par
\par Switzerland/\tab \tab \tab \tab ( , )\tab \tab \tab ( . ) for figures
in/pour valeurs en CHF
\par Suisse\tab \tab \tab \tab \tab ( , )\tab \tab \tab ( , ) for other
currencies/
\par \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab \tab       pour les autres devises
\par
\par }\pard \fi-
426\li426\tx708\tx851\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx637
2\tx7080\tx7788\tx
8496\tx9204\hyphpar0 {\b\f5\lang2057 USA, UK/RU\tab \tab \tab \tab ( . )\tab
\tab \tab ( . )
\par }\pard
\tx708\tx851\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\
tx7788\tx8496\tx9
204\hyphpar0 {\b\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard \fi-
426\li426\tx708\tx851\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx637
2\tx7080\tx7788\tx
8496\tx9204\hyphpar0 {\b\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard \fi-
426\li426\tx708\tx851\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx637
2\tx7080\tx7788\tx
8496\tx9204\hyphpar0 {\b\f5\lang2057
\par C.6\tab Examples of the use of the symbol for the function "division"/
\par }\pard \fi-
426\li426\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\
tx7080\tx7788\tx84
96\tx9204\hyphpar0 {\b\f5\lang2057 \tab Exemples d'utilisation du symbole
pour la fonction
\ldblquote division\rdblquote :
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\b\f5\lang2057
\par }{\f5\lang2057 The symbol defined in this International Standard for
this function ( \'f7 ) is
sometimes used as a "minus sign" in Denmark and Norway.
\par
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang1036 Le symbole d\'e9fini dans la pr\'e9sente norme
internationale pour cette
fonction ( \'f7 ) est parfois utilis\'e9 comme signe
\ldblquote moins\rdblquote  au Danemark et en Norv\'e8ge.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\b\f5\lang2057 \page C.7}{\f5\lang2057 \tab }{\b\f5\lang2057
Decimal separator
function versus decimal sign presentation}{\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\b\f5\lang2057 \tab La fonction \ldblquote s\'e9parateur
d\'e9cimal\rdblquote  et la
pr\'e9sentation du \ldblquote signe d\'e9cimal\rdblquote }
{\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057 \tab
It is important to be aware of the difference between the "decimal
separator" function symbol and
the two alternative symbols registered for "decimal sign". While the two
"decimal sign" symbols
seem to indicate that a choice has to be made and that the r
esult has to correspond to a similar presentation of the
 numbers on mechanical machines, the "decimal separator" function is suited
for data entry on
programmable machines in which the presentation of the "decimal sign" can be
multiple. The
numeric data should always keep its inherent numeric characteristics i
ndependent of presentation.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang1036 \tab Il est important de conna\'eetre la
diff\'e9rence entre le symbole
repr\'e9sentant la fonction \ldblquote s\'e9parateur d\'e9
cimal\rdblquote  et les deux choix possibles enregistr\'e9s pour le
\ldblquote signe
d\'e9cimal\rdblquote . Alors que les deux symboles du \ldblquote signe
d\'e9cimal\rdblquote
semblent indiquer qu'un choix doit \'eatre fait et que le r\'e9
sultat doit correspondre \'e0 une pr\'e9sentation similaire des nombres sur
des appareils
m\'e9caniques, la fonction \ldblquote s\'e9parateur d\'e9cimal\rdblquote
s'applique \'e0 la saisie
de donn\'e9es sur appareils programmables pour lesquels la pr\'e9
sentation du \ldblquote signe d\'e9cimal\rdblquote  peut \'eatre multiple.
Les donn\'e9es
num\'e9riques devraient toujours conserver leurs caract\'e9ristiques
inh\'e9rentes de mani\'e8re
ind\'e9pendante de leur pr\'e9sentation.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057 \tab While data entry is for a pure number, the
software application may
choose to display the number with any "decimal sign" or even without a
"decimal sign" at all (like
printing a real number on a preprinted form on which a vertical line
indicates the separation
between the integer part of a number and its fractional part).
 There are many countries where more than one decimal sign is in use, and
where the choice of a
specific decimal sign creates problems in user machine interactions.
Therefore, it appears that
there is a slight conceptual difference between the function "d
ecimal sign" and the function "decimal separator", this latter function
being more general in its
application, the former remaining useful in some national contexts for
historical reasons.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang1036 \tab M\'eame si la saisie de donn\'e9es correspond
\'e0
 un nombre pur, une application logicielle peut choisir d'afficher le nombre
saisi en utilisant tout
\ldblquote signe d\'e9cimal\rdblquote  ou m\'eame en n'en utilisant aucun
(par exemple lorsqu'un
nombre r\'e9el est report\'e9 sur un formulaire pr\'e9
imprim\'e9 o\'f9 une ligne verticale indique la s\'e9paration entre sa
partie enti\'e8re et sa partie
fractionnaire). Plusieurs pays font usage de plus d'un signe d\'e9cimal, et
le choix d'un signe
particulier cr\'e9e alors des probl\'e8
mes lors d'interactions personne-machine. Il appara\'eet alors qu'il existe
une nuance
conceptuelle entre la fonction \ldblquote signe d\'e9cimal\rdblquote  et la
fonction \ldblquote
s\'e9parateur d\'e9cimal\rdblquote , celle-ci \'e9tant plus g\'e9n\'e9
rale d'application, la premi\'e8re demeurant utile dans certains contextes
nationaux pour des
raisons historiques.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057 \tab This information is given to indicate a trend
to follo
w in software development for data entry. Data entry should be designed in a
way that is
independent of presentation options chosen by the users. Keyboard drivers
and their interfaces to
the applications should be designed so that the decimal separator fu
nction of the numeric keypad does not generate a specific character limited
in scope. The
"decimal separator" function should be implemented as a software function
that indicates how to
build a number where the decimal separator marks the ending of the in
teger part of a number and the start of its fractional part.
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang2057
\par }\pard
\tx0\tx708\tx1416\tx2124\tx2832\tx3540\tx4248\tx4956\tx5664\tx6372\tx7080\tx
7788\tx8496\tx920
4\hyphpar0 {\f5\lang1036 \tab Cette information est document\'e9e pour
indiquer une tendance
\'e0 suivre dans le d\'e9
veloppement logiciel pour la saisie des donn\'e9es. La saisie des donn\'e9es
doit \'eatre con\'e7ue
de fa\'e7on \'e0 assurer son ind\'e9pendance par rapport aux options de
pr\'e9sentation choisies
par l'utilisateur. Les pilotes de claviers de m\'ea
me que leurs interfaces avec les applications devraient \'eatre con\'e7us de
telle sorte que la
fonction \ldblquote s\'e9parateur d\'e9cimal\rdblquote  du pav\'e9
num\'e9rique ne g\'e9n\'e8re pas
un caract\'e8re particulier \'e0 port\'e9e limit\'e9
e. La fonction \ldblquote s\'e9parateur d\'e9cimal\rdblquote  devrait
\'eatre implant\'e9e comme
une fonction logicielle qui indique comment construire un nombre o\'f9 le
s\'e9parateur d\'e9cimal
marque la fin de la partie enti\'e8re d'un nombre et le d
\'e9but de sa partie fractionnaire.
\par }}