Subject: Re: Request for Help on Office Equipment Symbols

From: Alain LaBonté SCT <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 09:32:21 -0400

A 16:28 97-09-22 +0300, Erkki I Kolehmainen a écrit :
>Alain,
>
>I just thought that you might be able to help me as I'm not familiar with
these.
>
>I was asked what would be the right symbols for START, DEFAULTS, and EXIT on
>the buttons on the panel of a printer.
>
>The suggested symbols were as follows:
>START: Rightwards pointing black triangle, similar to Table 46 - Row 25, hex
>B6, inside a square.
>DEFAULTS: Arrow forming an an open (at right) circle, circling clockwise
>around an exclamation mark.
>EXIT: Open (away, to the left) black door against a white rectangle.
>
>If there are standard symbols for these, would you be kind enough to gime me
>a reference to them. Thanks.
>
>Best regards, Erkki   
>Erkki I Kolehmainen
>
>SUOMEN TIEDONSIIRTOYHDISTYS STY RY
>THE FINNISH DATA COMMUNICATION ASSOCIATION FDCA
>
>Salomonkatu 17 A, 10th floor, FIN - 00100 HELSINKI, FINLAND
>phone: +358 9 4763 0301, fax: +358 9 4763 0399, http://www.sty.fi

[Alain] :
The standard in question is ISO 7000. There is an attempt in ISO/IEC
JTC1/SC18/WG9 (now ISO/IEC JTC1/WG9 since SC18 has been abolished two weeks
ago!) to group office symbols in an easier-to-find manner.

ISO 7000 registers symbols in their order of registration arrival. There is
an alphabetic index but you need to know the exact terms.

The WG9 standard will group symbols per visual families, I believe.

Although I participate in WG9, I only collaborated to the symbol rapporteur
group occasionally. But I'm ready to help.

Don't hesitate to come back to me if you still need contacts, precisions,
etc. The chair of ISO TC 159 (Ms. Schwuchow, from Munich, Germany),
responsible for ISO 7000, unfortunately has no email address that I know
of. She is also the rapporteur of ISO/IEC JTC1/WG9's Symbol Rapporteur
Group. The convenor of the whole WG9 is Mr. Hodgkinson, from Winchester, UK.

Regards.

Alain LaBonté
Québec

cc ISO/IEC JTC1/WG9