Subject: ISO/IEC DIS 14755 - Version française - What I feared happened... and more...

From: "Alain LaBont/e'/" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 16:36:35 -0400

I just received ISO/IEC DIS 14755 for official  ballot... What I feared
happened, the French version has not been distributed.

Furthermore, the French title on the English version has been retranslated
as if no trace of French version had ever existed...

The real title of the original is :

ISO/IEC DIS 14755 -- Méthodes de saisie de caractères du répertoire de
l'ISO/CEI 10646 à l'aide d'un clavier ou d'autres unités d'entrée

It became, on the ballot cover letter :

Méthodes d'entrée pour introduire des caractères à partir du répertoire de
l'ISO/CEI 10646 avec un clavier ou d'autres dispositifs d'entrée

(what is funny is that on the next page, the version I produced shows the
real title!)

I do not want to delay things but it would be very nice if ITTF could send
to the national bodies the French version that was duely produced in
Hamamatsu (Japan) in April (in fact it is the original version of the latest
document produced after the second CD!) and that has been transmitted to
ANSI. I made sure that a resolution insisted so that it be not forgotten...
but nevertheless that resolution was violated... Normal, in my head, I'm
used to that, I was expecting it, others said that I was pessimistic. Very
sad though...

I do not want to find a guilty person, I would just want things to be
righted without disturbing the ballot process nor deadlines...

Alain LaBonté

bcc Keith Brannon, ISO/IEC ITTF, Genève
    Marisa Topping, ANSI, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC18 Secretariat, New York
    Saburou Nohara San, SC18/WG9 Secretariat, Tokyo
    Doug Langlotz, Conseil canadien des normes / 
                   Standards Council of Canada, Ottawa
    Jean-François Legendre, AFNOR/CN18, Paris
    CCC/CAC SC18 (Canada)
    Michael Everson, Dublin, Éire, interested by this issue
    Forum france_langue