Subject: More ideas for email guidance

From: [email-masked] (Mark Woodman, OU Computing Department)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1993 09:25:42 +0000

From:	OUMAIL::"[email-masked]" "Keith Hopper"  7-JAN-1993 21:46:45.84
To:	[email-masked]
CC:	
Subj:	(SC22WG13.2) Mail truncation

Greetings,
     May I mention one or tow known mail problems (which have nothing to do
with dkuug, but have caused me untold difficulty) which may cause others
problems too.

     Make sure if you use a word processor to prepare your e-mail that when
sending to the mailer it actually inserts line-ends at the end of the lines
visible on the screen and not just at the end of a 'paragraph' where you have
typed an explicit line-end mark.   There are mailers around which truncate
at lengths from 250 to about 500 characters --- losing the rest of the 'line'.

     It is known that this problem also occurs with mail gates of some kind
even if not at the destination machine.  Known culprits include the Sun
workstation mailer, MAC word processors and some PC ones, but not so far as
I am aware  Microsoft Word (well it may in versions I haven't had send me
mail).   The one further caution is that this truncation problem could
arise to one destination out of a distribution list -- which may change now
that the distribution node has changed.

          Regards,
                 Keith

PS Among the truncator's are VAX mailers and NeXt mailers of certain  kinds
or releases.   I believe also that the bitnet gateway truncates (at least one
does).

-- (End of message; original message headers follow)

Date: Fri, 8 Jan 93 10:30:26 +1300
From: Keith Hopper <[email-masked]>
Subject: (SC22WG13.2) Mail truncation
To: [email-masked]
Sender: [email-masked]