Subject: (i18n 53) Re: Japanese Profile (#439)

From: [email-masked] (Glenn Adams)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 14:17:59 EST

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 10:49:11 pst
   From: Arne Thormodsen <[email-masked]>

   There will be (in my view) two classes of NLS users:

   1> Developers who want to make an internationalized application which
   will be acceptable in any market.

   2> Developers who want to make an application specificly for a market
   other than "their own".

I'd like to add a third class (though it might be considered a specialization
of the first above), viz., the class of users who want to simultaneously
use text from many or all i18n domains, i.e., multilingualism.  So far as I
can tell, most (if not all) i18n solutions I have seen to date (except
Xerox Viewpoint) have settled for a limited monolingual solution.  I for one
believe this to be a fundamentally flawed view of how to approach i18n in
general.

Glenn Adams
International Lisp Associates
Cambridge, MA