Subject: Re: (i18n.431) FDC 14651 and 14562 data available

From: Alain LaBonté <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 09:10:21 -0400

A 11:36 98-04-08 +0200, Trond Trosterud a écrit :
>I see you have sorted 3716 entities (I counted them, from the document
>http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg20/docs/i18nsort.txt) containing a ISO/IEC
>10646 number (<Uxxxx>). In what way does that number equal "all characters
>of ISO/IEC 10646 - UCS"? What criteria have been used for the selection?

There is an ellipsis at the beginning specifying all characters (serach for
"..", you'll find it). This is of course cheating, we know it and there is
not intention to hide this fact. All characters have a fully predictable
order. Thats's what Keld meant, I believe, but he has not explicited it.

However the goal is to enrich the structured order of the template to fit
within expectations 
of most scripts' users. We did not dispose of the expertise to describe all
languages of the world at once and we have gathered what we had from
participating countries (according to a decision of the group; this also
makes senses as business will come from these countries at once). In the
meanwhile everything is already tailorable to fit specific communities'
requirements, wherever they are. That is a principle that makes possible
such a standard. Some woldwidists, partisans of a grey world, do not like
this idea of tailorability, but it is a very important principle, imho.

Constructive comments (with tables) are expected (ballot ending on April
30) to enrich this table. I know that there will be enhancements for Indic
sripts, among others, from Indic languages specialists who are member of
the Unicode consortium.

Alain Labonté
Québec