Subject: Re: (i18n 33) Re: Japanese Profile

From: Masahiro SEKIGUCHI <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 05:34:45 GMT

Answers and comments on the issue, as the ``author'' of the original.

[In "(i18n 33) Re: Japanese Profile"
       Keld J|rn Simonsen <keld%dkuug.dk@uunet> writes:]

> Concerning the Japanese X/open locale:

This might be a minor issue, but please note that my definition
is only an example, and it is not intended to be a part of any
formal specification.  There are people who do not wat to call it
``Japanese locale'' or ``X/Open locale.''

> X0208 as I know it does not allow to use undefined positions.

JIS X0208 has no definition on usage of those undefined positions.
The standard has a KAISETSU (which is JIS counter part of ISO's
``informative annex'', I guess) saying: ``Subject to agreement
between interchanging parties, these (undefined) area may be
used by assigning characters, tmporarily or locally.''

> A third questionable item is the use of collating, first the 
> capital letters then the lowercase letters. Is that common Japanese
> usage?

Yes and no.

In real Japanese life, alphabets are collated in Western manner.
In typical Japanese computers, alphabets in JIS X0208 is collated
via their internal code value, i.e., all uppercases first, then
lowercases.

That's what happening today in Japan.

-- 
	Masahiro Sekiguchi
	Planning Dept., R&P Div., Fujitsu Limited
	[email-masked] (JUNET) -or- PDB01144 (NIFTY-Serve)