Subject: Re: (posix 3411) (i18n.418) 3007 IDEOGRAPHIC NUMBER ZERO

From: [email-masked] (NUMATA Toshinori)
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 13:54:14 +0900

In the message as of Dec 11 19:32,
       [email-masked] (Keld J|rn Simonsen) writes:
> A question about U3007 IDEOGRAPHIC NUMBER ZERO: Is this character used
> as a digit, and how wide is this use, if any?

In Japan, it is used when expressing numbers of several digits, such as
4-digit year numbers and telephone numbers, in vertically written text
combined with other ideographic numbers.  For example, the first year
of the 21st century can be written as follows:

	U4E8C U3007 U3007 U4E00 U5E74
	two   zero  zero  one   year

If there are lots of numbers in a document, we can write whole text
horizontally and use Western-style digits.  For example, most text in
a Japanese newspaper is written vertically and ideographic numbers are
used, but the table of stock prices in the same newspaper is written
horizontally using Western-style digits.

-- 
NUMATA Toshinori
Planning Dept. 1, Research and Planning Div., Software Group, FUJITSU LIMITED
Phone: +81-45-476-4587 (x4169)	Fax: +81-45-476-4749