Subject: Re: Transliteration [and transcription]

From: Jonathan Rosenne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 21:14:04 +0200

At 15:05 24/11/97 +0100, Keld J|rn Simonsen wrote:
>Jonathan Rosenne writes:
>
>> I don't think that this day and age there is much need for "representing
>> characters from one script by the characters of another script", not after
>> we have ISO 10646. Even if there are such local needs, I cannot see why
>> they should be standardized.
>
>Well, these are cultural conventions, as far as I can see.
>For example, there are a specific way of transliterating russian
>cyrillic into danish, and also on how to transliterate serbian into
>danish, and those rules should be clearly recorded, so that
>for example searches on the net, for "Jeltsin" could be matched
>for Danish users. 
>
>Note that there may be other rules for other languages to 
>transliterate for example russian, the germans transliterate
>the mentioned name as "Jeltzin" and the english transliteration is
>"Yeltsin" 

This is "representing sounds from one script by the characters of another
script", not "representing characters...". We were requested to distinguish
between transliteration (characters) and transcription (sounds). I still
see no need to standardize the first.

Jonathan